[Suggestion] Publish SHA-sums directly on the download page

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
CaptainFlint

10 Sep 2023 12:29

When free download was restricted by speed and max 2 parallel downloads, getting the additional tiny archive with the testing tool was not much of a bother. Even at that speed it downloaded quickly and did not prevent from starting the next part. With the new 5-minutes-wait system, however, the size does not matter, it's full 5 minutes, no matter if you fetch a 300 Kb or a 200 Mb file. But there's no real need to download the test tool every time for every new version. The value is only in the SHA-sums file inside the archive. So if those checksums were posted as plain text on the download page, they could be simpy copy-pasted by the user, without having to wait another 5 minutes. (At least by those users who know how to deal with such files, the others can still keep the archive to get a ready to use testing instrument.)

ScuL
Founder

10 Sep 2023 23:23

This is too advanced for most of our users
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Josh0

17 Sep 2023 18:34

You usually don't need the File Test Tool unless you suspect that you have corrupted archive file(s). Both WinRAR and 7-zip have archive test functionality which compare the internal files to the stored checksums. If you can open the archive in WinRAR/7-zip, test it, and extract the files successfully then you do not need the File Test Tool.

CaptainFlint

19 Sep 2023 02:33

I know. But it feels better to have them around, seeing as they are available anyway (could be useful, e.g. when copying them to another PC over network). It's just that having to wait for full 5 minutes for getting just a tiny 1 Kb text file feels a bit harsh.
But OK, I'll survive. Looks like I'm the only one to think it would be a good idea.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information