MidAmerica tour

Post your own screenshots & videos of our mods here
krigl

05 Jun 2023 16:20

Hi there,
I’ve decided to try opening a second screenshot thread with tours from central USA (from Texas and the states above it, and then eastwards), so all ATS. I hope that’s okay!

Texas is huge, so I'm dividing it into 6 parts.

1. Yellow = western border with New Mexico
2. Light green = western Texas
3. Orange = central Texas
4. Red = eastern Texas
5. Blue = southern Texas
6. Purple = northern Texas

And here we are, starting out in the new Volvo in Raton, New Mexico.

Why am I opening a dedicated MidAmerica tour thread? Several reasons...

First, I have another huge screenshot thread planned after my current one. It will cover some final ProMods areas, final Europe DLCs, and in ATS – Washington, Wyoming, Colorado and PM Canada. It’s going to be around 3 years before I get to the end of that. By that time there will be maybe 8 midwestern states ahead of me – a huge block of flat, samey land. By opening a second thread now I can do the midwestern states as they arrive, providing variety both for myself and for anyone who likes looking at my stuff in their lunch break or whatever. I guess someone does, as I seem to be averaging around 70 views per day in my FF2 thread. Hmm. Perhaps they are all bots – who knows. :lol:

Second, I’d really like to cover these new states as they arrive, fresh and new, rather than 3 years later. Right now I still haven’t hardly driven in Italy or Washington, and they came out 5 or 6 years ago – they are still waiting for me to tour them, while I tour other areas. It’s frustrating, but there is just so much to tour, and I want to record all of ProMods and SCS’s work if I can, because… because… why not? It’s my hobby. Seems no more pointless than fishing, or endless football.

So why don’t I just incorporate the new ATS DLCs in the other thread? Weeellll… my poor obsessive brain won’t let me. I have a fixed conception of what I want to cover in my main trilogy of threads, which I’ve been working on for many years now, and I don’t want to give that up.

The Home of Everything's Included. Everything. If I had a sister, I'd include her in a second.

So, I hope people can be tolerant of this regular contributor to the PM screenshot forum, and forgive him for having two active threads. This one won’t always be active, just when there are new ATS DLCs, so twice a year, I guess, once I’ve caught up. If any moderators have an issue with me having two threads, please let me know and I’ll give up on the project, shedding a single, noble tear.

Well, off we go, our first destination Dalhart in northwestern Texas. A fiery truck pulling hay. Appropriate.

Almost all of the images in this set are actually in New Mexico, but those east of Raton were mostly added by the Texas DLC, I think.

It was at this point that I suddenly realised that I should have checked the time before taking a job. It's evening already, dammit.

Sometimes trucksim looks pretty real these days.

I like the looks of the new Volvo. A big improvement on the old boxy thing they put out last time.

We're not in Texas yet! Unless the state line is just a couple of metres to our right.

Getting very dark. I'm going to have to find somewhere to stop for the night, and give up on my fat paycheck for an on-time arrival.

Great atmosphere, though.

This town looks promising.

It's... a Massage Dragon.

Yup, we'll kip here, somewhere.

This'll do.

Up early the next day, and the weather is stunningly similar.

It's a sign. What could it be?

Yep, we're just entering Texas for the first time!

And here we are, at or near Dalhart. Next time: Dalhart to Tucumcari.
Hope you enjoyed! Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 23 Jun 2023 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

krigl

06 Jun 2023 15:20

Today we're checking out Dalhart in NW Texas, mainly, before heading back to New Mexico.

Dalhart is an agricultural town, like many others in this region.

Giant silos abound.

Looks like these combines are being prepped for the harvest.

Time to make the delivery and then check out some more of the city.

Finally some clearer, brighter weather.

Dalhart is very detailed and impressive, as is the rest of what I've seen so far. In the case of this town, it hides the fact that it's just jobsites without any town centre or suburban housing. I guess they can't create such things for every place - not enough space.

Still, here are some more shots of what there is.

Farms and factories, basically, but it all looks very nice.

Off to pick up a new load.

That's a lot of cows!

And some modern cowboys too, keeping an eye out for rustlers.

Well, we've picked up some dry milk, and we're starting out on our trip back to New Mexico past our first cotton fields.

Tucumcari is our destination, but we won't get there in this set.

Back in New Mexico now.

This small town is Logan.

Evidently they're fans of Texas just like that farm owner in the previous set.

Past Logan there's a fine little canyon.

Tucumcari lies ahead. We'll get there next time, before heading back out into Texas to the city of Amarillo.
Cheers! Krigl

krigl

07 Jun 2023 19:34

On the way to Tucumcari...

Consignment of Dry Milk for New Mexico.

Outskirts of Tucumcari.

Arrival.

Oh, it's going to be shipped elsewhere? This trailer? On a train? Hmm, a bit sus.

Well, anyway, after I totally delivered the Dry Milk to that railyard, we went to pick up some agricultural equipment that totally has to be delivered to Amarillo back in Texas.

Rather green part of rural New Mexico.

Cool buildings in the local style.

Looks like someone got tired of all the falling-down motel buildings there are everywhere, decided to patch one up.

Whaaaaa? Bizarre. Perhaps it should be 'Curios'? That would make more sense for a shop.

Heading out of town. What am I hauling, some kind of hopper?

Predictably, I shall call it Dennis.

Could have called it Grace or Edward, though.

Or Grain. Or Grass.

Aaanyhow, we're back in Texas.

Beautiful skies. Surprised to see wind generators in Texas. Probably on the To Be Banned list, but they haven't got to them yet.

Amarillo, brillo!

One of Texas's many nice intersections.

70s Batmobile.

Mark E. Smith's favourite hangout when he was in town.

Things are brought forward and eaten,
I see the corners filled with hitmen,
Two young lawyers they are whispering, in
The steak place

That's it for today, driving to a place called Bovina next time...
Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 08 Jun 2023 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

krigl

08 Jun 2023 16:52

Checking out Amarillo today before heading back once more towards New Mexico.

Wonder what that blue building is, looks unfamiliar.

Texan Volvo showroom. Might have to pop in there, 3 sets is enough with the same colour scheme.

And it's farewell to Dennis.

New paint job. This is that strange blue building from earlier. A truck wash! Are SCS trolling us? Dirt on trucks has been a popular request since time immemorial...

It certainly doesn't work now. I wonder if it's just eye candy, like the bus stations in ETS2, or if they really have something up their sleeves.

Amarillo is again a rural city.

In the USA, rural often means huge industrial-looking metal structures. Or giant ranches with luxury homes worth tens of millions of dollars. I wonder what agricultural product we're going to be hauling to Clovis NM?

Pepsi.

Well, okay, let's get going.

Entering Canyon. The real canyon is somewhere nearby, but not visible, but at least there's a small artificial canyon to drive through.

Whilst under the close scrutiny of Woody.

Yep, my one wins the looks contest hands down.

Remnants of older times can still be seen amongst the giant structures.

Play... what? And what on earth are you wearing, Katy?

And we've reached the settlement of Bovina, complete with info board and model cow, next to a dingy motel. 'Cow view, silo view or cigarette-strewn dusty back yard view, sir?'

Next time, to Clovis NM, and then back out to Lubbock TX.
Krigl

krigl

09 Jun 2023 08:46

Today we're travelling from Bovina TX to Clovis NM and then back out to Lubbock TX.

Down on the faaarm, oo-aar (chews straw).

The scale of American agriculture is well-conveyed in this part of the Texas DLC. It's brutal.

Briefly passing through Farwell.

And we're back in New Mexico.

Clovis is right there.

Just realised I'm in the wrong lane.

I remember being impressed by this silo when I toured New Mexico a while back. Now... well, it's kind of average compared to some of the structures I've passed, like that mammoth silo in Bovina.

Right here? Okay.

Found a dusty rest stop.

Spent the night next to this beauty.

Clovis is really dominated by those silos.

New cargo for Lubbock.

Back in Texas with some open land, though that doesn't last long. Texas is much more densely populated than many of the western states, and that's reflected here.

This place is called Progress.

Progress. You can't hold it back.

Mysterious structure on the way to Lubbock.

Are we there yet? It's hard to tell where one settlement ends and another begins. There's just so much detail, its insane.

Well, this is definitely Lubbock. Feels like more of a complete city than the agricultural jobsite zones we've previously seen, cool as they were.

And that's it for now. Next time we see a lot more of Lubbock and then make tracks for Seminole TX near the NM border.
Cheers! Krigl

krigl

09 Jun 2023 18:26

Got a fair amount of time today, so here's a second set - touring Lubbock, mainly.

Lubbock looks good, but I don't think you can drive into it.

Where you can go, of course, is the agricultural part.

Dropping off the cargo amongst the cotton fields.

The back of the truck looks like there are some bits missing.

Fluffy...

Suburban homes... opposite a roaring, busy highway. Nice.

Let's get the cab repainted.

Arriving at a cotton baling plant. Liking this colour scheme.

Purchased some interior ornaments too.

What have we got here? Cotton.... detritus...?? Not sure. Anyway, it's going to Seminole in Texas near the New Mexico border. Hobbs is just over the border, so maybe the jobsite counts as Hobbs. Whatever.

Lubbock feels big and fairly ordinary, a typical larger north Texas city.

You can drive between the main buildings of the skyline.

Lubbock's suburbs.

Driving through the countryside now, towards Seminole.

Railroads and cotton.

And an apple orchard. I could down a pint of scrumpy right now.

That's it for today. Seminole and Hobbs next time.
Krigl

krigl

10 Jun 2023 15:11

Delivering to Seminole/Hobbs today. Not sure which.

Delivering grain by train? No. That's just wrong.

Approaching Seminole.

Entering Seminole, Texas, we pass a public park.

Giant coffee... sounds good.

Historic buildings in Seminole.

That's the second courthouse I've seen in Texas already.

Out to the agricultural suburbs.

Colourful landscape.

Another cotton processing place wants my cargo.

The fluff strewn everywhere is a nice detail.

Huge piles of cotton.

I enjoy these 'agricultural deliveries', plenty of colour, large buildings and a certain strangeness. That's lucky, because with mid-America we're going to be doing a LOT of agricultural trips.

Not sure if the jobsite counted as Seminole or Hobbs, but to drive into Hobbs we have to leave Texas behind.

Twinned with Calvin.

Characteristic NM houses. I really like this border region, seems pretty interesting. And soon we'll be getting to an oil-producing part, and then rugged badlands.

Time to sleep.

It's a new day, and we're off to a different type of landscape: oil country.

Goodbye to Hobbs, we're going to Odessa, Texas.

Over the border once more. That's it for now.
Krigl

krigl

11 Jun 2023 13:02

Driving through NW Texan oil country from Seminole to Odessa today.

Passing through Seminole.

Local airfield. I wonder if they have a... Piper Seminole.

First pumpjacks of the drive. Many more to come. Want to see something incredible? Look up Odessa Texas on Google maps. Closing in you'll see lots of little white points in the landscape all around, stretching for miles and miles. It reminds me a little of the texture of meat after hitting it a few times with a tenderising hammer. Zoom in closer and you will see they are little white squares - thousands of them. And each square has a pump.

Pumpjack up close. Auntie Wiki says they can draw up 5 - 40 litres of crude, often mixed with water, per stroke.

Once again I find I'm in the wrong lane.

Approaching Odessa, we pass the Lighthouse Church.

Both silos and pumpjacks as we head inwards.

A small refinery, I suppose.

Arrival.

Got another refit, which ended up lasting us till the end of Part 1 of the tour. A bit strange-looking, but it's all good fun, right?

Picking up a garbage lorry to take around the south-east corner of New Mexico and then north to Carlsbad.

A lot of garbage-collection-style scenery assets in bays as we leave, along with my favourite, the guy endlessly chucking boxes into a skip.

The size of the garbage truck shows the scale of the 'small cab' - it's bigger than it often seems in-game.

Suburbia. Odessa is on the roads that make up the 'upside-down central Texas triangle', so we'll be back another time.

Heading west. We won't make it to Carlsbad this time, just to the Ward County rest stop.

Weigh station, supervised.

I think that's an inaccessable truck maintenance depot.

Rough, oil-producing land.

And here we are at the rest area.

Time to get a drink and nip in the loo. We'll complete the trip to Carlsbad next time.
Krigl

krigl

12 Jun 2023 19:14

Driving from the Ward County Safety Rest Stop in NW Texas kinda near Odessa to Carlsbad in SE New Mexico today.

Well rested.

Heading west, about to cross the Pecos River.

And there it is. We'll be passing through the scenery town of Pecos soon.

Turning northwards.

And here's Pecos, with a spur replacing the O in the name.

That's because apparently it's the home of the world's first rodeo...

The local courthouse.

Decorated cowboy boots outside the local museum.

Tour bus bringing excited visitors.

The fame of Pecos goes beyond rodeos. A juicy cantaloupe would be just fine right now.

Love that guy who drove his pickup onto the hillock to watch the sunset.

Sun's getting low as we make for the border.

I think this river - the Pecos, maybe? - is roughly where the border is. Didn't notice any gate-like structures or signs this time.

Guess we're in New Mexico now. Still new land added by the DLC, though.

A short trip, and we're entering Carlsbad as the last rays of the sun wink out.

Ve haf vays of maykin yu tok.

Dropping off the rubbish lorry at this architectural dig: the historic remains of the local college's Alpha Delta Pi fraternity. Obviously, they have a lot of togas and kegs to cart away.

Next morning, we woke up at the dig site and headed into town for breakfast.

A long, or rather heavily photographed, trip lies ahead of us - through rugged country on the Texan side of the border to El Paso.
Cheers! Krigl

krigl

14 Jun 2023 13:07

Starting out on our trip from Carlsbad to El Paso today.

Actually, we're going to Alamogordo NM, and it would be far quicker to go directly there within New Mexico, but we wouldn't be touring Texas then, innit?

So, we're going to El Paso, and then Alamogordo. Right now, enjoying a last bit of Carlsbad scenery.

Picking up cars from Tesla. Much as I loathe the traitor to democracy and humanity that makes these cars, a job's a job.

Actually, I'm not sure if the cars are actually Teslas, some of them look a bit like Priuses.

No more farmland for a while, the route takes us through one of the last significant areas of 'wild-west-style' countryside to be featured in ATS DLCs. Oklahoma should have a bit, and South Dakota has the Black Hills, there are some badlands somewhere maybe, but otherwise east of the states of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico there is almost nothing as spectacular as the scenery in the west. Huge areas of farmland await, some nice rolling hills towards the coast, and then the great lakes, deep south and coastal regions... but no deserts, no vast canyons. That part of America is pretty much over and done with when it comes to new ATS DLCs. In short, if you like ATS for its spectacular scenery, the best part is already behind us.

Still in New Mexico, Texas DLC stuff though.

That's not to say future DLCs will be bad, though. I think SCS are well aware that the Mid-West is potentially very boring, and by all accounts they plan to counter the boredom by adding ever more insane levels of detail and custom rather than copy-pasted scenery.

Kansas is the one to watch. In terms of topography and land use it's one of the most potentially boring states in the whole of the USA. If they can make Kansas at least enjoyable to drive in, that will bode well for the next few years. But with Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois and Iowa, plus other not overly inspiring places still to come, SCS are going to have their work cut out to keep people engaged. I hope they manage it! Their efforts will be catalogued here, in this thread, I hope...

Ah, the state line. Nice rugged terrain on show now.

Guadalupe Mountains ahead. To the left of the road is the well-known rock formation called El Capitan.

Life goes on.

Approaching El Capitan. Not the one in the Yosemite National Park, California. Popular name, I guess.

It's certainly impressive - the remains of an ancient coral reef, if you believe in geology: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Capitan_(Texas)

A second viewpoint.

And a third.

That's it for now. We'll pass through El Paso in the next set.
Krigl

Return to “Share the love”

• Information