MidAmerica tour

Post your own screenshots & videos of our mods here
krigl

09 Oct 2023 09:32

Making hay while the sun shines, as it were, here is a second set for today - the drive to Van Horn, and a tour of the town.

This town, is coming like a ghost town.

This may be some of the last 'western style' scenery we see in Texas.

It's a short but beautiful route.

The junction lies at the NW apex of the upside-down triangle. Heading the opposite way to the fork at mid-left, you can choose between heading SE down to San Antonio, or heading straight E to Dallas and Longview.

Nearing Van Horn.

The red stones tell us we've arrived.

Overview of the town.

Van Horn Hard Target.

One of two interesting hotels they have here.

There's a V on the hillside in the distance.

The second hotel, now a Hotel Museum. Alright then.

It's opposite the local Target, our destination.

Let's explore a little.

Round the Horn.

Enjoying a last bit of that Mexican/New Mexican vibe.

A dusty soiree under the pergola.

The low-rise and unassuming Van Horn City Hall.

Alright, time to leave this red-earthed place behind and head east to oil country - Odessa's next on the list.

Thanks for looking in!
Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 10 Oct 2023 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

krigl

10 Oct 2023 14:04

Today we’re heading to Odessa and checking the place out, if you can really call it a place. It’s more of an area…
We’ve just left Van Horn.

Driving eastwards.

Passing Pecos, home of the first rodeo, Pecos Cantaloupes and a large pair of boots.

Crossing what is probably the Pecos River.

Eeeeeee…. it’s getting dark.

Nice sunset, but it’s pitch black everywhere. I guess we won’t be touring the Odessa area today.

There was zero to see all the way to the delivery point to the south of Odessa, some kind of refinery, I guess.

Slept in the visitors’ car park, woke up in Oil Country.

I like this picture, but then I am a man of refined taste.

Well, we’re going to drive clockwise around Odessa, see what there is to… see.

A lot of pumpjacks, though nowhere near as many as there are in real life.

They make for interesting scenery in small doses.

The whole area feels so flat and empty, unnatural somehow, and a bit alienating. Knowing how huge the region is in real life is almost frightening. Nothing but flat scrubland and these bobbing pumpjacks for miles and miles and miles...

This is probably Odessa itself, but I don’t think you can actually visit the town. The oilfields are the main attraction.

We’ve been through this bit once already – there’s that lighthouse church.

The next job – wooden poles to a jobsite east of Fort Stockton.

In other words, we are heading south from Odessa, and it’s just a short trip.

People need reasons to drink coffee?

A bit of a hill. Why no cutting, bro?

Making progress southwards towards the jobsite SW of Fort Stockton. We’ll get there next time.
Krigl

krigl

10 Oct 2023 14:11

In this second set for today, we’re doing two jobs in the area around Fort Stockton.

Passing a rest stop on the way to Fort Stockton.

Well, my home town was so small that it didn’t have a town drunk, so we all took turns.

Didn’t catch the name of this small town, unfortunately. Maybe it was too small to have one... <<creases up>>...

Both jobs are connected with the power industry. The second is for good ol’ Big Oil - got to shift some generators. The first is for the pronoun-infested woke science-based bird-killing calamity known as "wind power".

We were just driving along innocently through the countryside when suddenly…

…this.

Uhhh. Errrrrrrrrr…….

Well, okay.

Fort Stockton behind us, jobsite ahead and to the left.

Wonder what they want these poles for anyway.

Hmmm. Still none the wiser.

The oil job is just down the road.

Pioneer.

Big, oily pumpjacks.

Great to see them up close.

Generators, yeah.

We’re taking them past Fort Stockton to another oil site to the north of that town.

We are now riding above the thrill-a-minute town of Fort Stockton.

Really like the ambience of this one, though.

Again, it’s only a short hop. These generators won’t be with us for long.

Turnoff to the jobsite already, just short of the Van Horn – Odessa highway.

Aaand that’s it for today.
Krigl

krigl

11 Oct 2023 11:33

This set is from the area northwest of Fort Stockton, and Fort Stockton itself – for the last time.

Bridge over the Van Horn – Odessa highway northwest of Fort Stockton.

Rest stop nearby.

Heading for the jobsite.

BP again.

Dusty oilfield, as they should be.

Our arrival generated plenty of interest.

Left the area via a ‘secret’ unmarked road.

It seems to get dark fast in these parts. Decided to leave the trip to Fort Stockton till the morning.

All too soon, it was ‘the morning’.

The early bird catches the worm.

Natural beauty.

Heading west towards Van Horn.

Going round the tight bend at the top left apex of the triangle that borders The Heart Of Texas.

Now heading southeast towards Fort Stockton, with Junction and San Antonio lying beyond.

Fort Stockton turnoff.

Back in the City of Excitement.

Job pickup time. We’re taking whatever it is to the first previously unvisited city in this thread – San Angelo.

It’s… a bulldozer. San Angelo lies right in the very heart of Texas, or at least is the closest city to the centre of Texas in the DLC. Well, so it seems from just eyeballing the whole map. The actual centre looks to be somewhere 1/3 of the way from San Angelo to Waco as the crow flies, but there’s probably a more scientific way to calculate it.

Leaving Fort Stockton. We won’t be back.

Can’t say I’m that sad, really.

If Roger Hargreaves made a character based on Fort Stockton, it would be Little Miss Nondescript.

The journey into the greener heart of Texas – next time.
Krigl

krigl

11 Oct 2023 12:36

In this set we leave the dramatic and dusty west of Texas behind and head into its greener heart. While we're going to be making some side trips to places previously visited during this second stage of the Part 3 tour, the general trend is to be moving eastwards.

Farewell, dustiness.

Not sure what this is just a short way beyond the bridge. Fort Stockton still?

A tufted scrap of tyre rubber, overrun by ants. Nearby out of shot - a punctured collapsed football, several desiccated dog turds, and a sad pile of feathers and bones that was once a cheeky, jaunty little sparrow.

Aaand we're in the green.

Cuttings still popular. Well, Junction's not too far away.

Another one, this time with added value.

Pumpjacks somewhere over there, I guess.

And, almost as if trolling them, some clean wind energy site just down the road yet again.

Cotton field. A bit of an outlier from the main region to the north? We'll see. Not sure how widespread it is throughout Texas.

Approaching San Angelo. Not to be confused with San Antonio...

Here we are... the Heart of Texas.

Gotta think about this. Want to turn left, but not be forced to head back the way we came.

So... this is San Angelo. Nothing too exciting. You would think that after I parcelled up Texas into six areas, made a nice little triangle of roads in the middle for Central Texas, and then labelled San Angelo the Heart of the country, the developers could have made the city look a bit more exciting...

Ah well. Here's Walmart.

And here's Metalwest. Could it be the scrap metal version of the prefab? I'm sorry, my Bulldozer friend...

No, they seem to make storage tanks of some kind. Well, that's alright then. Probably. Those are metal tanks, I suppose.

Well, one cool thing they have in San Angelo is a local branch of Amish Furniture, which is where we're heading now.

A queue formed behind me 'cause I spent too long choosing toppings.

Visits to Amish Furniture are always quite the experience. For a start, the car park is filled with hacks and surreys, and the walk to the warehouse is punctuated with plenty of champing, stamping and neighing. You've got to watch where you tread, too. The staff are all slender, soberly dressed men with piercing eyes, and the meeting room is filled with black and white photos from their latest teambuilding sessions - barn construction, or paintball with hand-held catapults.

One thing I've got to say, they don't just wave you in the general direction of the (paid) coffee machine like in many places I visit, they take the time to sit down with all their drivers and lay on some good ol' fashioned Amish hospitality. This time it was a generous portion of wet-bottom shoofly pie, and a delicious coffee thick with cream and sugar. And then we were off - destination Sonora, NW of Junction. So, southwards then. Next time.
Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 25 Mar 2024 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

krigl

13 Oct 2023 15:30

Today we're driving south from San Angelo to Sonora with a mystery consignment from Amish Furniture.

On the way out of San Angelo we'll take a look at the more picturesque side of town. Found that it has one.

Alright, what have you done now? Don't try to deny it, I know what that sheepish look means.

Classy hotel.

Pancakes or burgers?

Another hotel, this time with the aroma of gas if you open the windows.

Interesting riverside decoration. Probably not natural, I guess.

San Angelo - More than Sheep.

San Angelo Vice, Episode One - the Deer Job.

No one's getting past this sheep.

Bye for now, we'll be baaack.

Heading southwards.

So, about that mystery consignment from Amish Furniture. The factory's rustic, aromatic, finely crafted traditional timber furniture products are renowned for their build quality and durability, so I was surprised when my innocent but slightly soggy-sounding query to the rep (made with a mouth full of delectable Shoofly pie) of: "So, what's in it then" was met with a point blank refusal to tell me what was in the trailer. By way of explanation, he showed me a closed off part of the factory. The words P U R G A T O R Y ENTRANCE RESTRICTED were stencilled on the door, and opposite that across a lobby was a door marked CHAPEL OF PURITY. As I watched, an oldish fully-bearded man with downcast eyes and a tear-streaked face came out of the Purgatory room and made a hasty beeline for the chapel.

My guide explained that this is a part of the factory where they work on 'Black Projects' that many Amish might have qualms about but which the company had been forced to take on during the lean years of the COVID emergency in order to survive. It was originally conceived as a voluntary punishment zone for Amish troubled by minor infringements of their moral code they had committed in the past. Perhaps they had caught themselves glancing at their neighbour's wife as she was hanging out the washing, or maybe they cannot get over the shame of being introduced to weed by college students while on Rumspringa, or being caught on video doing donuts in their buggy on a deserted country lane (subsequently going viral after being posted on social media), or they might perchance have once punched a Mormon.

However, only two workers came forward who felt guilty enough to work in Purgatory, so they'd had to ask for volunteers in order to keep the factory afloat. Many were the righteous men who came forward so that their fellow workers need not suffer, and so it came to pass that Purgatory was brought into operation. In gratitude the faculty management built the chapel next door for them to regularly take a break from the vile acts they are forced to perpetrate within Purgatory for the general good of all, and seek redemption.

The rep gave me a sealed envelope with the delivery details and told me not to speak of it to anyone on or outside the factory grounds. I said I'd open it when I got to Sonora, and guard my tongue with all the ferocity of a San Angelo guard sheep, an answer which seemed to satisfy him.

Well, now we've reached Sonora, it's time to open the letter and find out who I'm supposed to deliver the contents of my trailer to.

So I opened it, and found that the trailer contained...

...a consignment of plastic covered outdoor tables with inlaid clown-head illustrations for McDonalds.

Da-doom-tstch. Joke of the day. Anyway, we're now back at San Angelo, with a new paintjob.

Went for a drive through the parts of the town we haven't seen yet while I waited for Head Office to find me a job heading north this time - up to Seminole and Hobbs, if possible.

Well, that will need to wait till next time.
Krigl

krigl

16 Oct 2023 10:02

Today - taking the route north from San Angelo to Hobbs just over the border in New Mexico, via Big Spring, Lamesa and Seminole - all in Texas.

My secretary came through for me this time - 'I've found something that's actually going to Hobbs!', she said. 'No pretend deliveries this time, no fines. There is actually a job going where you want to go.' Well alright then, I said.

San Angelo's tourist office, I guess.

'Only thing is, it's for Amish Furniture again. Is that alright?'

Is that alright? Is that ALRIGHT? Of course it's alright. The Amish are noble of spirit, bright shining beacons of zealous righteousness, and when they call, I hurry to answer.

Hurrying to answer. It was approaching lunch time when I arrived, and I'm not lying, they had me sit down to lunch with them - a delicious Yumasetti casserole, and there was even dessert - a large portion of strangely but aptly named Apple Goodie, washed down with their amazing thick, creamy coffee.

Afterwards, the rep brought out the 'Jobs Menu'. I just about managed to catch myself before uttering in my best John Cleese-at-the-cheese-shop manner 'There isn't actually any furniture on this list, is there?', knowing how touchy they are about their 'Black Projects'.

Good job I kept mum, as on the way out the rep told me that he valued my discretion in matters of business, and he's happy I didn't splash 'Amish Making Furniture for McDonalds!!!' all over the social media. Then we shook hands, he reached off-screen and pulled his hand back into view holding a huge bag of iced buns.

They are truly a noble people, the Amish, and I won't hear a word said against them.

Anyhow, we're making progress heading north-ish right now.

Now we're approaching the Odessa - Abilene road, which is next on the list for this tour.

Just before it is the small town known as Big Spring.

It's not too small to have a mural, though.

Crossing the highway.

The Big Spring rest stop.

Highway construction is under way on the road to Lamesa.

The silo and water tower up ahead mark the beginning of Lamesa.

We're moving away from the Heart of Texas and into Part 1/Part 6 territory now - what I guess is the beginning of the real Midwest. However, it was more convenient somehow to do this road now, I felt, even if it doesn't quite 'belong' in part 3. Whaatever.

Yep, definitely a bit of a midwestern vibe.

Here we are in Lamesa. We're going to make a left turn to Seminole and Hobbs. The forward route north to Lubbock etc. all the way to Guymon in Oklahoma must wait until Part 6.

Ready to make that turn. The last part of the trip will be next time...
Krigl

krigl

16 Oct 2023 11:45

Finishing the trip from San Angelo (TX) to Hobbs (NM) this time.

Still driving through Lamesa with two characteristic black Amish Furniture trailers full of office paper and a huge bag full of sticky buns on the passenger seat.

A long way from Hamburg.

Leaving town.

Heading west from Lamesa to Seminole, we meet cotton fields.

And serious farm machinery.

And irrigation booms. A bit early to say not having seen even half of Texas yet, but this region, which stretches to just a little below Big Spring in the centre of Texas, seems to be the very bottom end of the Midwest of the USA. Above it, stretching through Oklahoma northwards, the endless flat plains extend for four whole states up to the Canadian border, and then continue even further beyond until they segue into - I suppose - the tundra of the Canadian North.

And here we are at one of the southernmost Midwest towns - Seminole, on the border with New Mexico, which also is a state with it's own little Midwest portion.

That portion expands as you head north through Colorado, Wyoming and into Montana, with the 'Midwestern part' of Montana east of the mountains rivalling even the fully midwestern states like Kansas and South Dakota in size.

The Midwest is a huge region, and we're at the 'start' of it right here in the south. Now making the short trip from Seminole to Hobbs.

That means one more trip into New Mexico...

What the hell is MN Sddoh? Is that Welsh?

Well, let's get this delivered for my Amish friends.

Amazon. From Purgatory to Hell.

One last morsel of the NM vibe.

A noise like pressurised air escaping from an airlock occurs as we open the garage door of the teleportation chamber, and we find ourselves back in the heart of Texas, at the Big Spring rest stop no less. It is early morning, and we have a new job to do that will take us still further east.

But first we hurry west to Odessa for the last time, to pick up something mechanical and heavy from the refinery deep in Oil Country.

Our destination is Abilene, more-or-less midway across the state between Van Horn in the West, and Longview in the East.

We'll cover that next time. Thanks for looking in!
Krigl

krigl

17 Oct 2023 13:38

This time we’re driving east from Odessa to Abilene, the second as-yet unvisited city in this part of the Texas tour.

Passing through Odessa.

Drilling rigs in the background, maybe?

Haven’t seen that helicopter for a while. Then again, I haven’t sped through any police roadblocks for a while.

Ah, someone else was doing the speeding this time.

Not sure about this. Chemical plant?

All highway driving today.

The moment I reached for my third Amish sticky bun of the day.

Some pleasant scenery to look at, though.

Stink Creek? Sounds… unappealing.

Nice-looking rest stop, no time for that today.

I thought we were now arriving in Abilene, but it turned out to be a small unmarked settlement called Tye. It IS Abilene for job-related stuff.

Tye is right next to Dyess AFB, and the original ‘sign’ has a B1 bomber on it, not a 747. Not sure why SCS felt the need to change that - strange.

Fascinating, isn’t it? Any idea what it does?

A view from the industrial estate at Tye. It is pretty much the only visitable place in Abilene, as Abilene is just a collection of intersections, more or less, with views.

Tye also has a couple of truck stops.

Off to pick up something from a different part of Abilene.

The local water tower. Next time – we start a southwards trip from Abilene to Junction via Ballinger.
Krigl

krigl

17 Oct 2023 13:46

This set features the first part of our journey south from Abilene to Junction, during which we shall reach Ballinger.

We need to pick up some dumpsters, but first let’s check out the intersections of Abilene.

Travelling around Abilene is a joy due to the absence of traffic lights. However, this is because something else is also absent – the city.

There are various things to look at as you whizz along, but no urban roads. Just intersections and a jobsite, plus the jobsite and truck stops at Tye.

I made the mistake of looking up Abilene to see what it is actually like – there’s a fair amount that could have been put here by way of interesting buildings and sculptures, for example, though nothing remarkable. SCS perhaps deliberately didn’t give the place a visitable city centre in their efforts to make every place in Texas feel a bit different. Or maybe they just ran out of time or money – I think there’s space enough.

IHOP is such a strange name for a pancake restaurant.

Picking up the dumpsters near the local Coke factory.

Purchased a cold one from their factory outlet and continued on my way.

Abilene has donuts too.

Back to the central intersections.

Wheee. So smooth, Abilene.

Alright, leaving town now.

Southwards towards Ballinger.

Granny’s in the mobile home till we get the annexe built.

Another unusual junction.

Whodunnit?
It was the Abbott, in the Chamber, with the Ivermectin.

A strange collection of objects north of Ballinger.

Old saloon (maybe) in Ballinger.

Young ladies chatting where the cowboys used to lounge.

War memorial.

Chas H. Noyes statue outside the church in Ballinger. It was placed there by the young man’s parents after he died at age 21 when his horse fell while rounding up cattle. SCS placed it in the game, along with the sign providing details. Finding it was an oddly touching moment. Imagine, though, you put up this monument in 1919, and a hundred years later your memorial to your son finds its way into something you’d never even dreamed could exist back then: a computer game. About trucks. And then isn’t actually seen by almost any of the players… But at least one person saw it, and cast his mind back to their tragedy for a while.

Ballinger to Junction now. It will have to wait till next time.

Local landmark.
Cheers!
Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 25 Mar 2024 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Share the love”

• Information