Sign images and sign frames - How can I import them to the editor?

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
OMNI du 31
Developer

05 Sep 2022 16:31

Greetings everyone,

In this very short tutorial, I am going to explain how you can add custom sign images and sign frames in your map. The process is in fact, quite simple. However, after running into 3-4 people asking me how to do it, I have come into conclusion that it can be a bit confusing for some people out there (even for some experienced mappers) and that they best way to resolve this problem is to write a quick article so that everyone can benefit. In addition, for the sake of my very personal time management...

Adding sign images

First things first, the images themselves are placed in;

Code: Select all

material\sign\atlas
with their corresponding .mat and .tobj files. Whilst their corresponding definitions are placed in;

def\sign\atlas
- As in every single texture in the game, the image dimensions must be by the power of 2. I.e. - following the 2^(x) formula. Henceforth; 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048...

Given that harsh changes on dimensions have got a significant impact over the resolution in every aspect of computer science, I would recommend to pick a dimension that is neither too big nor too small.

- The image must be saved in .dds format.

However, our job isn't done here, yet. Photoshop with Nvidia DDS plug-in, paint.net or GIMP; no matter which program you use, a saving options menu will show up. In this menu, you must always select to "Generate Mipmaps" for OpenGL users and when it comes to the image format, you should select BC3 or DXT5 depending on the program you use. I suppose InkScape also does the job. However, I have never used it.

I have been also told that you can also save the image as a vector image for better quality. But I have been also told this also has an impact over the image size. Ergo, the mod size.

- Create your corresponding .mat and .tobj files. .mat files could be edited via NotePad++ while .tobj files could be edited via a TOBJ Editor.

Exhibit 1.1: How the folder should look in the end

Definitions

Exhibit 1.2: Exemplary definition of a sign image

Now, I do not want to act like an expert on this one. However, this is my approach whenever I make definitions for sign images.

1- The project name
2- The image name

Technically, you don't have to put details in this line after "atlas." as much as I do. However, firstly, this allows me to be better organised and also, to avoid any possible definition conflicts. Keep in mind that there is a character limit and the counter gets back to zero after each dot.

3- The atlas name. This really does not have to match with others. You can name it however you like.
4- Material path: Basically, where your material file is located.
5- Basically this name will appear on the content browser.
6- Image dimensions. As a matter of fact, the image frame dimensions. In order to comprehend what I mean better, let's assume that you have made a sign image in 128x128 but, you set these values as 512x512 by accident. Given that these values command the frame dimensions towards the right and towards the bottom, your sign image will probably be aligned in somewhere on the upper left corner. So, please be careful with these values.

On the other hand, this one actually does not require following the power of 2 rule. You can basically put any value you want. However, again, please keep in mind the previous paragraph.

After completing all these steps, this should be the end result you obtain in the content browser:

Exhibit 1.3: The proposed end result of the sign image import

Sign frames

Again, the frames themselves are placed in;

material\sign\frame
with their corresponding .mat and .tobj files. Whilst their corresponding definitions are placed in;

def\sign\frame
This is personally an approach I would like to abandon due to finding a better solution for my needs. However, let's just assume that you are mapping a country which uses very unorthodox sign frames. Sign frames that you cannot even replicate from SCS/ProMods or Mega Resources assets and you are such a perfectionist to replicate that exact sign frame in your map.

The methodology you follow here is exactly the same as how you handle with the sign images. However, you should keep in mind that sign frame images must only reflect the upper left quarter of the entire sign frame you would like to achieve in the game. Then, the editor handles the rest.

Exhibit 2.1: How the folder should look like.

Definitions

Before we continue, let's have a look at Exhibit 2.2;

Exhibit 2.2: "blue rounded bg" and "blue rounded 2 bg" in the content browser

The difference between these 2 is that the white border in n° 2 is thinner than in n° 1. Now, what if I told you that these 2 are derived from the same image?

Exhibit 2.3: Comparison of "blue_rounded_bg" and "blue_rounded2_bg"

What are the similarities and what are the differences between these 2 definition files?

To conclude, this should be the outcome of your work:

Exhibit 2.4: Custom sign frame in the content browser

Bonne chance :)
Yellow ranger since 2.60
Developer since 2.63

BulStudios

05 Sep 2022 23:37

Good job
Creator of Bulgaria Reworked map

TornadoExtreme23

17 Sep 2022 23:19

Does Not Work For me