how to convert a rarfile to something useful ( like ZIP or SCS)

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
HenryJensen

02 Apr 2022 17:02

I bought this morning ( CEST = central european summer time) a mod via GUMROAD. The modcreator ( let us call him "HUGO" there is no need to trash him ) send me a RARFILE instead of a zip/SCS file. When I unpacked the RARFILE som folders showed like materiel, def and vehicle. You
Know the same files that shows up when we are unpacking a zipfile instead of just copy the zip into the game's modfolder. I contacted "HUGO" and and he says it is my problem to convert the file into something useful.

I have now came so far that I have converted the rarfile ( 400 MB) into a SCS file by using 7zip. it can now be founded in the modlist. After activation it still does not show up in the SCANIA dealer or the MODdealer. SO I proberly have done something wrong.
I have also tried to compress the unpacked folder (1.8 GB ) into a zip with the same result as before. Can be found in the modlist but no Scania 143 at the dealer in the game itself.
so I am afraid that the mod is obselet because many of the files are from 2020 and older. And again "HUGO" claims that the mod is working also under patch 1.43

I know that the Ekualizer edition of Scania 143 is no longer availble in an useful edition. Someone has tried to convert it into the 1.43 patch without any substantial luck meaning it can be driven but the latest development from SCS like windows opening and sound has not been 100 pct updated

with kind regards

Henry from denmark

Shiva

02 Apr 2022 19:44

You could try to have it unpacked, in a folder. Atleast for a first test.
For zipping the file? avoid any compression of the unpacked folder.
This is my fast to go tip.
I'm sure others will have better descriptions.
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

HenryJensen

03 Apr 2022 11:52

thank you for the help. I finally succeded the useful conversion this morning. But sadly I do not know where the error was made , but in the E-mail I recived from Gumroad/"HUGO" it says Scania 143 Tandem but the truck in files was a 620 RJL Scania with boogie. The only thing I could personalize the truck were tires and Rims. Anything else was fixed, meaning I could not remove curtains in the front window or remove the big BULLBAR ( you know the big object you see in the northern Scandinavia and Australia)

So again thank you and happy trucking . And take care

Kind regards

Henry

Axel Slingerland

22 Apr 2022 12:43

HenryJensen wrote:
03 Apr 2022 11:52
But sadly I do not know where the error was made , but in the E-mail I recived from Gumroad/"HUGO" it says Scania 143 Tandem but the truck in files was a 620 RJL Scania with boogie. The only thing I could personalize the truck were tires and Rims.
This is a classic example of why you should not buy mods. If you download something for free and it isn't what you thought it was, it's no big loss. You just go search for what you want again and see what else you can find. Sometimes you get lucky and hit the jackpot, other times you don't. But when you buy mods it's almost guaranteed that whoever you bought it from copied it somewhere and then turned around and sold it to you without even checking to see if it is what it was labeled as or if it even works. They may not even have the game for all you know. If you have a problem with the mod they sold you, since they most likely didn't make it, they probably won't be able to help you solve any problems with it.

Most people who make mods do it because they like doing it, and they want other people to have them and be able to use them. I've been playing SCS trucking games for 20 years and have never bought any mods, but I have used them since about a week after I found out that mods existed. I usually come here or go to the SCS forum and check out mods before I use them, because I think if ETS2 mod is any good, chances are people on these forums use it. Once you get in the habit of doing that you'll see a lot of the same names associated with mod making.

And if you want a Tandem, go over to the SCS forum and look for Flemming V's Tandem mod. It's free and well supported. Or at least it used to be the last time I was interested in it.
Today has been cancelled. Go back to bed.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information