Greetings from the Greater Toronto Area

New users are welcome to post a short introduction here
MisterSG1

22 Dec 2020 21:20

Hello all

I came upon this site after more or less being impressed with the Canadian regulatory signs implemented in your BC mod. I’ve never been to BC but I was impressed to see the one way, yield, and do not enter signs being “wordless”. As this is basically the standard I assume because of the Quebec factor.

That being said, my most impressive thing I saw was the fact you guys managed to create a PPLT intersection situation (Protected-Permissive Left Turn). This is just the tip of the iceberg and I’m quite knowledgeable of all the different style of intersection phases that can be used.

I’m a mature student of civil engineering and in personal hobbies, I am very familiar with the MUTCD, the TAC Manual (which is also called the MUTCD for Canada) and the various volumes of the Ontario Traffic Manual.

Yes it’s very important when you consider future provinces in Canada, unlike the US, there isn’t a true enforced national standard like the MUTCD, sure regulatory signs are generally identical, the Canadian no right on red sign being a notable example. But as for guide signs on freeways for example, each province uses totally different standards, kind of makes them like their own countries in a way.

Like for example, Quebec puts its exit number on the guide sign in a yellow trapezoid shape while every other place puts the exit number in a tab on an exterior panel that corresponds to which side the exit is on. That is unless you are in Nova Scotia where every exit tab is on the top left side for some reason.

Also, the exit gore sign inside the gore point, something as banal as that is completely different in Ontario to the provinces east of here, Ontario’s a rectangular sign with just a number, Quebec is a yellow trapezoid with a number, New Brunswick is a green trapezoid with a number. While Nova Scotia uses a rectangular sign with “EXIT XX”.

I’m getting ahead of myself but yeah, I’m good for being an advisor on future projects if you need my input.

Return to “Introductions”

• Information