Fantasy freelancers

Post your own screenshots & videos of our mods here
krigl

28 May 2021 21:47

Today we visit the all-ProMods island of Gotland with its capital, Visby, IRL a popular local holiday destination thanks to its rich variety of historic sites.

Arriving in Visby. The Scania job was actually a very simple one - drive to Nynashamn, get the ferry and drop off the goods in Visby - something any monkey could do. Why it had to turn into such a nightmare I cannot imagine. Nykvist had literally screamed at me down the phone about his truck. Should have hidden the keys after setting me up to fail, lol. He said that if there's so much as a scratch on it he'd drag me through the courts and sue me for as much as he can get, and I'm lucky he didn't call the police. Well, I dropped off the cargo in Visby without incident and was just getting ready to head back and face the music when a car pulled up nearby, some woman jumped out and told me that she desperately needed my help. The company who provides trucks to haul stuff for their farming business has gone bankrupt and there is no one on the island to help them with a unique issue - they urgently need a mobile drilling rig on their farm. Why, she wouldn't say, but I have a soft spot for people in distress, and seeing as I'm probably going to get fired anyway, I agreed to help.

And so I set off on a very pleasant tour of Gotland. How convenient - I wanted to see the PM scenery anyway. This is the village of Tingstade.

I was to pick up the drill from a quarry at a place called Slite. Given that I normally deliver groceries, I was a bit nervous about what this might involve, especially as I'm driving my boss's truck, and he already wants to kill me. Well, it involved a very dusty and stony track which I traversed as slowly as possible in the hope of keeping the paintwork pristine. The sound of objects bouncing off the door kind of told me I was failing at that.

Once again, my nerves were being mercilessly wracked. What on earth am I doing pulling a drilling rig, I wondered. Would it fall off if I took a corner too vigorously? Will the trailer sink into the mud on this corner, which we're going to have to cut?

We managed to get out of the quarry area okay and were heading for Burgsvik in the south of the island when I realised we needed fuel and would have to make a detour east to Ljugarn.

The route was scenic - another great bit of mapping from the PM team.

This is Ljugarn. Hopefully they have some fuel in stock - you never know on an island like this.

They did, which eased at least some of the worries on my mind.

But now it was getting late. I didn't much fancy the idea of lugging a drilling rig down narrow unknown country roads at night, but what choice did I have. I could smell an opportunity here - their company's gone bankrupt, and here's Anni stepping in to save the day. Lindkvist is going to get rid of me anyway, but perhaps the Big Boss might forgive my somewhat extreme actions, especially if Scania stay on board.

A beautiful golden sunset accompanied us on the way to Burgsvik.

Reached Burgsvik at dusk. Another picturesque location.

Almost dark, and OMG, I don't like the look of this.

The last few kilometres in the dark were very tense, but somehow we got to the farm, and a bunch of people showed up to unload the rig and drive it who knows where? Maybe a shaman has determined that there is oil to be struck, but only if they drill tonight by the light of the full moon? In any case, the lady was extremely pleased. She treated me to a massive meal of herb-fed beef, saffron pancakes and a plentiful supply of gotlandsdricku. We talked until late in the night, but she never did say why she needed a drilling rig. She all but forced me to sign a contract to deliver their products and supply them with various necessities. I said I didn't have the authority to sign for my company, but I'll take it back to the mainland with me and do what I can. And of course I agreed to haul something to Visby for her, as I was going there anyway.

The next morning I woke up very early with my head feeling like it was gripped in a vice. After a hearty breakfast and strong black coffee, it was time to pick up a trailer full of garlic and head back to Visby.

The journey was a lot more pleasant by daylight and with a 'normal' cargo.

There was plenty to see.

Unfortunately it got misty for the last part of the trip, but I think we saw most of what there is to see on PM Gotland. Nykvist called and said he'd be waiting to take back his truck in Nynashamn. What a nice meeting that's going to be.

Anni
Last edited by krigl on 29 May 2021 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

krigl

29 May 2021 19:24

Back in Nynashamn after making the crossing from Gotland, on our way to meet Mr Nykvist. I called the big boss, Mr Lund while on the ferry to explain everything. To my surprise he just listened to everything without speaking, thanked me for the news, and wished me good luck.

The meeting with Nykvist in a car park in Nynashamn was as awful as expected. There was a lot of yelling. He told me he was going to Copenhagen to discuss my future with Mr Lund, and that he expects me to have left Sweden by the time he returns. He found numerous scratches, dents and dirt on 'momma bear', and said he'd be sending me the bill. But before I go, he's got one more job for me. I should do it, drop off the cab in Linkoping, and get gone.

No sense in hanging around, so we parted ways. I have to pick up an empty chemicals cistern and take it to Uppsala. A bit strange, but why not.

Passing the Globen, I spotted these people knee-deep in asphalt. I feel a bit like them, a bit lost in the streams of life.

The chemicals plant is some ways outside the city.

Here's the trailer. I was pleased to see that it was quite small. Hauling even an empty chemicals cistern is enough to make a lady nervous, especially as I'm not licenced to carry chemicals. Have to hope that the police don't pull me over again - I guess a phone call is all that will be needed to clear things up, but I've had quite enough excitement for a while. So just a short trip to Uppsala, and I'm going home to Denmark. I started thinking about Nils in Goteborg - it's going to be tricky keeping that going. Suddenly I was wracked by feelings of regret. It truly was a stupid thing that I had done. What was I thinking. Etc.

Enough of that, here are some views of Stockholm.

And its dark underbelly.

There's a lot of water in Stockholm.

Heading out of town. It's not far to Uppsala.

Here we are.

Delivered the chemical tank and phoned up the secretary to let her know I was on my way back. "Back? No - you've got a trailer to pick up at Drekkar Trans and take to Goteborg via Vasteras and Orebro. They're already expecting you." I tried to explain what Mr Nykvist had said, but she just said "Sorry, you're definitely down for a trailer at Drekkar. Get going."

How bizarre. Well, I picked up the trailer, and off we went.

Typical scenery on the way as we drove to Orebro via Vasteras.

Orebro.

Stopped in Orebro for a break. I don't know what to make of the whole situation. Perhaps all will become clear in the next set.

Anni

krigl

30 May 2021 18:21

After taking a break in Orebro, we continued our journey across south Sweden to Goteborg.

The journey is quite long, and ball-tearingly dull, but I still managed to get a few adequate snaps.

Well, all did become apparent with regard to suddenly not having to leave Sweden immediately after all when I stopped for a break and found an email on my laptop - the secretary had sent me 2 weeks of deliveries in advance, which was very efficient by the local standards - normally I never know what I'm doing on any given day till the night before. I phoned her up and asked what the hell was going on. She spoke so quietly that I could hardly hear her - apparently the police were at the Linkoping office right now, confiscating computers and collecting files. I couldn't believe it, and neither could she - she had no idea why.

I never saw Mr Nykvist again - well, apart from in an industry magazine, but by then I knew more than was printed there anyway. Apparently, Mr Lund had summoned Nykvist to Copenhagen and asked him some very sharp questions on the subject of why he was spending company money on a truck for his own personal use. What he heard confirmed his suspicions, and added to the various other things he'd been keeping tabs on over the last few years since buying out Nykvists firm, it made him decide there were grounds for getting the police involved, rather than "deal with it as an internal matter", aka keep it hushed up.

That turned out to have been the right decision - the Swedish police had also been taking an interest in Nykvist's dealings , and those of his lawyer and accountant, since even before we took his company over. That truck was just the tip of the iceberg. The local board of directors voted Nykvist out as CEO, and he was forced to leave. He came and collected his stuff while I was out on various jobs, and now faces a police investigation, and, quite likely, a few years in a comfortable white collar prison.

Mr Lund told me that my behaviour in 'stealing' Nykvist's truck had shaken his confidence in me - that wasn't quite what he'd meant by 'working my magic' - but he was grateful, and, as they say, 'all's well that ends well'. I asked if I still had a job, and he answered 'of course - but it will be a while before I consider you for a managerial position'. He asked me to stay out here while the new management settles in, and congratulated me on gaining delivery contracts from Volvo, Scania and Gotland Agricultural. He also said that the board of the Swedish branch had voted to allow Copenhagen to take over control in return for some solid investment.

Well, what can I say - I can stay here with my boyfriend, the evil Mr Nykvist has been banished, and we've got new jobs and money coming in. About as happy an ending as I could hope for.

Here we are arriving in Goteborg, looking forward to some quality time with my man.

Anyway, things did get a lot better, and I now had a lot of work to keep me busy, and soon a better maintained truck to drive. Eventually the time came for my first ever trip to Norway, to Drammen, which is just over the border below Norway's capital, Oslo.

We started out in Goteborg, and headed north. That is one red fence there. Strange to be carrying wood - my days of just delivering groceries would seem to be behind me.

View of Goteborg.

This is the Uddevalla Bridge on the way to the border.

Norway is just ahead.

Here we are in Norway. This looks like more modern scenery than in the DLC, and Drammen is surely a ProMods city.

Very nice, I must say.

About to make our delivery.

Cheers - Anni

Bernhard_

31 May 2021 10:22

Thank you for these recordings. Looks really good.
Best Regards

Bernhard

krigl

31 May 2021 20:58

Bernhard_ wrote:
31 May 2021 10:22
Thank you for these recordings. Looks really good.
Thanks Bernhard, I appreciate your feedback!

Today we drive back to Linkoping in Sweden, starting off in ProMods' Drammen.

Back across the Uddevalla bridge.

Swedish countryside on the way to Vannersborg.

Passing through Vannersborg.

More country sights as we went down to Jonkoping and Linkoping.

It was dark when we finally got to Linkoping. Checked my email and found something from Mr Lund. He was coming over from Copenhagen to visit the Scania plant in Sodertalje, and he's invited me to go with him. Could we be getting some new trucks at last?

Scania sent a luxury minibus to take us to Sodertalje, and laid on a full smorgasbord at their test track. It was quite a sight, tables heaving with cold and hot dishes, loads of salmon and herring of course, and my favourite berry tarts. The Jansson's Temptation was especially good. I esd just thinking that they were going to have to put me on a shopping trolley and roll me out of there, when the local Scania boss suggested we try out one of their trucks on the test track. Mr Lund said the only proper driver they had with them was me, so I ended up waddling out to a very nice silver cab like a pregnant guppy and clambering inside with a crash helmet on. The idea seemed to be that they'd watch me going round, yelling enthusiastic instructions - part of the entertainment. I felt part humiliated, part terrified and part excited by the thought of what lay ahead.

I started off quite slowly and carefully, to which the Scania guys told me not to be afraid, and really open up. Just be careful on the corners!

Corners like that one, I guess.

I got through the first one okay, and accelerated down the straight towards the main building. Not fast enough, though. 'Come on, my granny can drive faster than that!'

The truck really did have racing tuning, and I quickly learned to trust in its ability to slow down VERY fast, speed up like a rocket, and not fly off the track on corners providing we didn't overdo things too much. Soon we were flying round, and the spectators were whooping like a band of excited gelada baboons.

Eventually I'd had enough, and was starting to feel somewhat queasy from all the food and the rapid changes in speed and direction. 'Try the rally track' they cried, and so I summoned up the last of my strength and headed up into the trees. One of the many qualities with which I am blessed is the ability to hold back from vomiting even when I really want to. It comes out in the end, but not till I allow it. Strange but true. This unusual skill really came in handy here.

Had to take my foot off the gas here - it was very windy and bumpy. So much fun though.

We actually drifted through some of the corners. Didn't know I had it in me.

Finally, they had me doing doughnuts in this round dusty area - 'See if you can get a blowout!' they yelled. Eventually, after many rotations, one of the tyres finally exploded and I was allowed to get out of the cab. An extremely enthusiastic reception followed, and it was a long couple of minutes before I could tear myself away at last, disappear into the ladies room and finally, quietly, throw up.

Well, I wasn't involved in the negotiations but it did turn out that the main purpose of our visit was not to test my stomach control to the limits, but to seal the purchase of quite a few new and nearly-new Scania trucks for our fleet. The first of them arrived a couple of weeks later, and with the same design on them as the Mercedes I've been driving recently. Apparently it's our new company livery. Have to say I quite like it.

My boss was astounded by my performance on the test track. He said 'you do realise it's a TEST track you know, not a racing track'. He said he wanted to apologise for what happened there - he knew nothing about it before it happened, but it looked like I had a lot of fun so he's not going to bother. The Scania guys said if I get bored doing deliveries for Mr Lund I'm welcome to join their racing team. Not sure how serious they were, a lot of beer was consumed that day. The only person who was rather less than positive was my boyfriend Nils from Volvo in Goteborg. He made some half-joking-half-serious comments about feeling betrayed that we went and bought a bunch of Scanias after all the time we'd spent together.

I told him it sounded like he'd only been dating me in the hope of selling us some trucks. He said it wasn't like that at all, he was just messing around, etc, etc. but that's the funny thing about words - there are some things you say that you just can't take back. Things ended up cooling down between us, and when a driver was needed for the company's Oslo branch, I decided that some time away from Goteborg might be a good idea. So here we are, in a brand new Scania, leaving Linkoping for the last time - at least for a while.

One last route to cover in the Sweden part of the DLC, via Karlstad... and then it will be time to tour the south of Norway!

Cheers - Anni

rudenkov vladimir

31 May 2021 23:20

A perfectly made trip report, accompanied by screenshots! Thanks.
ProMods - (senior) Beta tester.

03 Oct 2013

krigl

01 Jun 2021 19:54

rudenkov vladimir wrote:
31 May 2021 23:20
A perfectly made trip report, accompanied by screenshots! Thanks.
Thank you, Vladimir!

So, we're on our way from Linkoping to Oslo via Karlstad. Just passing through the small settlement of Motala.

Anni's big, exciting, extremely realistic and not-at-all lame or embarrassing story is pretty much over for this set, so just screenshots today. You know, like a normal person would post.

Calm and pleasant landscapes on the road to Karlstad.

Karlstad.

And now the last stretch of road we haven't yet covered in DLC Sweden...

And that's it for Sweden! Approaching the border near Drammen.

And we're in Norway. While Denmark and Sweden have their moments, Norway is the 'jewel in the crown' of the Scandinavia DLC when it comes to scenic countryside. In my opinion. Looking forward to the next few journeys.

Toll roads are a thing here, it seems.

Keeping the roads pirate free.

Oslo. Not quite as detailed as Stockholm, it seems to me, but ProMods' Drammen adds a lot to the area.

Delivering the goods.

Oslo overview.

Went for a waterside walk to check out the modern architecture.

Off to explore the Norwegian countryside next time... Anni

krigl

02 Jun 2021 20:18

Leaving Oslo for Kristiansand.

First we have to pass through Drammen - always a pleasure.

Paying the entrance fee for a beautiful route.

That looks very cool.

Felt here a bit like a pilot who's failed at IFR and has just come out of a fog bank to find a mass of cumulus granitus right ahead.

And we're through, and in Fjordland!

Approaching Kristiansand now.

Noticed this guy overtaking me, felt a sudden wave of competitiveness, and floored it.

Ha! I win! The route to Kristiansand was spectacular, and I'm sure there's more great scenery to come.

Anni

krigl

04 Jun 2021 20:55

No nonsense stories today, just a bunch of shots of us tooling around Kristiansand and then heading up the coast to Stavanger.

Arrival in Kristiansand.

Delivery.

I like this building...

Spent some time seeing the sights in Kristiansand, then headed out of town for a new cargo to take to Stavanger. Quite picturesque nearby, so here are a few snaps of the local area.

After the Scandinavia DLC came out, some people probably spent all their time doing deliveries in the region. I certainly 'drove it to death' at the time, it was a real step forward.

Nearing the jobsite.

A nice radioactive green trailer. Packaged milk again, probably.

So, off we go to Stavanger.

Needed to take a mandatory break, so stopped here among my Scania brethren at a local rest stop.

Next morning we were up bright and early.

Here at last - Risavika Havn in Stavanger.

My 18 year old daughter just saw what I was posting and said 'Truck Instagram', lol.

Anni.

krigl

06 Jun 2021 08:53

Today on 'Truck Instagram' (according to my daughter) I'm posting shots from Stavanger and the journey north/northeast from there towards both Bergen and Oslo.

After dropping off the cargo.

Checking out Stavanger.

Picked up a new load - roofing tiles to take to Oslo. Very heavy.

Classic. Haven't seen something like this for a while. Luckily the roundabout was nice and flat...

...and we're out in the countryside north of Stavanger. More great scenery today.

Stopped to pick up some fuel for this long haul.

Slightly unusual quarry area.

We've reached the most 'dangerous' part of the tour - I have a strong tendency to 'fall at the last hurdle', and spend 3 or 6 months away from posting just as I've almost reached the end of a country or DLC. All the images have been taken and processed, and other games are clamouring for my attention - building projects in Cities Skylines and No Man's Sky are both calling out to me in sweet, wheedling voices. I must resist! Three more sets to go after this one.

In landscapes like these it's a pleasure to get stuck at traffic lights and take a look around.

Nice viewpoint on a bridge we're about to cross.

I love how sometimes you're crossing fjords, other times heading along them.

Then we came to a fork in the road, and turned east towards Oslo. But... but... but what if we had kept going north? What would we have seen? I couldn't make that trip, but modern technology can make it happen. Here are 4 shots of the road extending north towards Bergen. We're not going to drive it ourselves, but it's worth a journey for sure.

Niiiice. Lucky I have this very expensive, autonomous drone.

Looking back from around the end of this stretch near where it joins the Oslo-Bergen road we'll be taking in 2 sets' time.

So, now we're heading east to Oslo, but we're not going to make it there today - so much still to see.

That's it for today!
Anni

Return to “Share the love”

• Information