what hardware is needed to run PM2.26 maxed out and smooth

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Callipso
Donation rank:

28 Feb 2018 21:41

tomsun66 wrote:
28 Feb 2018 15:18
The proposal about a decent perfomancelevel goes in that direction, if a developer says i don't know why do you have a problem my superdooper nasa rig with ten Threadripper CPUs and 8 2080ti GPUs works fine i have at least always 200 fps in Barcelona, he should have a defined perfomance level he has to approve his mod.
My strong feeling tells me that perhaps the modder never drove through Barcelona, because i cannot imagine he would acceptFPS rate below 10 fps.
And my opinion is it doesn't make sense to produce Eyecandy what only works if i reduce graphic settings to the minimum (everything low or off and scaling to 25%). Every modder should have tested his work at full graphics and should be satisfied before release.
My question is are we able to replace some KIller-Assets with low-def Assets, and we barely recognize it, only if we exactly know what assets were replaced. Or is it a general Mapping Problem? I i see Southern Region (despite the different scaling), he produces real eyecandy, yes i can also recognize a lowering of the FPS, but its still good playable.
First of all no one here probably owns such a rig, and even so it wouldn't matter if game limitations still forced upon you slow frame rates. Hyperbole doesn't work well as an argument so lets move on.
You do have to give him some slack though for it being his first city as developer. even you might not know how to most effectively do your job when you first get hired, some learning and training is involved as well, case and point Valencia which looks like its going to be performing quite well in contrast to Barcelona, made by the same developer.
I don't know what this "eyecandy" is that you speak of, most of the models are fairly similar to all the others, the only difference is that some of the assets used did or do not have LOD textures to fetch for out of the way objects. Even if they did have those options the main culprit is still the enormous amount of draw calls that parts of the city generates, the port area and downtown are the worst of these areas. I've seen SCS cities that have to do deal with enormous numbers of draw calls like Paris for example going through the suburbs is a headache sometimes and even download Paris is not a great experience.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

01 Mar 2018 10:30

tomsun66 wrote:
28 Feb 2018 15:18
My question is are we able to replace some KIller-Assets with low-def Assets, and we barely recognize it, only if we exactly know what assets were replaced. Or is it a general Mapping Problem? I i see Southern Region (despite the different scaling), he produces real eyecandy, yes i can also recognize a lowering of the FPS, but its still good playable.
If only it were that easy...

I've spent weeks trying ot crank up the framerate in Barcelona. It used to be a lot worse! Currently, I only get dips dropping to 35 FPS near the port area; But in the very first version, most of the city itself dropped all the way down to 12-15 FPS, which was absolutely unacceptable. Note that this was on a med-range system (Intel i5, 8GB RAM, GTX750). In the first version that was released to the public, I doubled the frame rate in most locations, but it was still performing poor. In the current release, the dips in the city itself are almost gone or small; only the port area is really heavy and requires a revision again. But this is not a problem of "killer models"; there are mulitple sources for the problems and even tracking these sources is hard...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

tomsun66
Donation rank:

01 Mar 2018 23:49

Hello Mandelsoft,
i just went to Barcelona Port Area, to the position i got the worst FPS (11-12 FPS inside view, Graphics Settings maxed out), i tried different settings for scaling and for resolution(changing from UWHD to full HD, Scaling from 400% down to 100%) what type of Hardware are you using that you, if i understand you right, has framedrops only down to 35 FPS (i would be glad to have at least drops only down to 25 FPS). I don't think i have ridiculous slow hardware, but good medium hardware, and i assume my system is quite good configured, but perhaps you can give me some hints what i have to change in my system (perhaps migrating to Intel/Nvidia base, but i think i am not the only one with an AMD system, its always also a question of money).

To All: i you drove through Barcelona Harbour Area , what are your worst FPS, at maxed out Graphic settings (even if this not your normal setting, but to have a comparison) and at Full HD with what Hardware?

For me: AMD FX 8320 stock, Asus RX470 strix Gaming stock, 16 GB, Win 10, ETS2 all DLCs PM RM SR Balkan Great Steppe 12 FPS (No big difference between Full HD and UW HD)

I'm really interested if there are big differences if there is e.g. an Intel Cpu with AMD GPU, or AMD CPU with Nvidia GPU or Intel CPU with Nvidia GPU.
Also i'm extremely interested if anyone has not that bad FPS with an AMD FX and AMD RX system in that area (perhaps is something wrong with my system)
Just fyi i tried overclocking in the past CPU and GPU but it didn't bring a really benefit FPS wise.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, gigabyte 1080ti, 32 GB, 3440*1440 Resolution, Logitech G25

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

02 Mar 2018 09:38

I just don't max out everything; I turned down scaling to 100% and reduced the shadow detail and mirror drawing distance. That alone boosts the framerate a lot. I'd first try to reduce the scaling to at least 200% and reduce the mirror drawing distance and see if that's still acceptable enough detail
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

tomsun66
Donation rank:

02 Mar 2018 10:30

I tried changing scaling but with no great effect(every step brought definitely 1 FPS e.g. 400% down to 200%) eventhough changing from UW-HD downto Full-HD brought 1 FPS, i will try the mirrors now. I was surprised by your 35 FPS (in Barcelona maxed out) and was wondering what NSA Rig you use, but ofcourse you gave the explanation, i hope i have the same lever here. I will give my results soon.

Perhaps it would be good for other users to have reference values what Hardware brings what effect in a Reference Position and Reference Configuration.
I would be interested in a comparison e.g. different Hardware Combos at certain price level (what benefit in having AMD instead of Intel Vice versa at same pricelevel of course, same for GPUs). So we can figure out what is the proposed Hardware Level for Promods (which can be quite higher than for Vanilla Map). In times of ridiculous high GPU prices you should really know what benefit brings the invest in new Hardware.

Edit:
So now the results, with reduced settings regarding mirror(all settings to lowest possible value and scaling set to 100%, all others settings set to Max Res UW-HD)
In Barcelona Harbour Area down to 18 FPS (worst area). Outside from Barcelona it really pushes the FPS e.g. in Montpellier from 35 up to around 55 FPS. But in Barcelona Harbour area around the parking lots not that big burner.
Last edited by Volleybal4life on 05 Mar 2018 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Callipso
Donation rank:

02 Mar 2018 23:36

tomsun66 wrote:
01 Mar 2018 23:49
To All: i you drove through Barcelona Harbour Area , what are your worst FPS, at maxed out Graphic settings (even if this not your normal setting, but to have a comparison) and at Full HD with what Hardware?

For me: AMD FX 8320 stock, Asus RX470 strix Gaming stock, 16 GB, Win 10, ETS2 all DLCs PM RM SR Balkan Great Steppe 12 FPS (No big difference between Full HD and UW HD)

I'm really interested if there are big differences if there is e.g. an Intel Cpu with AMD GPU, or AMD CPU with Nvidia GPU or Intel CPU with Nvidia GPU.
Also i'm extremely interested if anyone has not that bad FPS with an AMD FX and AMD RX system in that area (perhaps is something wrong with my system)
Just fyi i tried overclocking in the past CPU and GPU but it didn't bring a really benefit FPS wise.
I used to get single digits in the Harbor area when it first came out 8-10 fps wasn't uncommon for me, in the last few updates that same area went to 10 - 12 fps, and then to 15-20 fps so things are getting a bit better. though the numbers aren't wonderful I am used 200% scaling, max draw distance and mirror settings. Though to be honest once I get on the highway that number levels out to 30 fps almost immediately for me so I'm not stuck driving in that area for long enough time for it to matter in overall experience when driving with ProMods. Downtown near the construction company was also an extremely slow area when the city came out nothing above 10 fps and lots of skipping that gave me some cardiac jumps in my chest when I drove through as I was convinced the game would crash on me each time I went there.

My computer specs are quite good:
Intel I7 4930K Hex-Core (6 cores -12 threads),
2 Nvidia GeForce 980ti video cards with 6 GB of video memory with SLI enabled
32 GB of RAM with Quad Channel enabled

Of course those specs are wonderful though a lot of its potential is wasted since there is no Direct X 11 supported in the game and the CPU isn't used all that much in the game so it doesn't go over 12% usage at any point during my gameplay.

tomsun66
Donation rank:

05 Mar 2018 14:09

so you are quite near to the NASA RIG (there should not be that big difference if you use a newer version of the i7 or the newer NVidias, until someone thell the opposite) Even though there is no big difference to my Rig (which i would say ist about medium level (2 years ago) compared to your high level Rig in the same situation.

To be honest Mandelsoft if i see these figures, is it really a Promods topic (despite there are 2 or 3 areas that have in my opinion to be redesigned until everyone of us has a FLUX-Compensator as standard equipment) or is it in general a SCS Topic that has to be managed at their position?
In my Opinion it is their topic, and i have the strong feeling it cannot be handled within ETS2 (too big changes in the internal necessary), and i have the fear the necessary changes would let to a lot of incompatibilities with the spreaded Mods (especially Maps).
If I´m right i think it is SCS Job to take a clear position to tell us if there is a major improvement possible in the future (e.g. in cutting of the lowest 25% perfomancewise and giving no 32Bit Support, or moving to complete new GE what cut off older Graphic-cards what would be hard today with these prices for modern High-Level Graphiccards) or we have to accept the current level as the possible maximum. Then They should focus on a complete new Game-
Engine utilizing all the power of current PCs (Multicore/Multithreading, RAM, Modern GPUs)

Callipso
Donation rank:

05 Mar 2018 22:48

I wouldn't say I'm close to any NASA rig or even CERN for that matter. you ever see the rooms of huge mega servers they got in some of their warehouses? Just one of them has probably 20-100 cores of processing power its insane! and there are like 200 of them in a room they have to constantly refrigerate to 50 degrees, can you imagine the electric bill for that? even if your just smashing atoms together for the fun of it.
The only reason I got a hex-core was capitalize on multi-threaded applications, however not a whole lot of them exist just yet. So most of my computer time is idled, I often download a program called BOINC to donate that idle time to crunching numbers for science which I guess isn't a bad trade off considering the benefits.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information