Faroe Islands and Iceland Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
tantalus

02 May 2021 19:53

Im not going to discuss here Iberia, but the DLC is horrible for many reasons.

In any case nah of course i will drive on iceland, because i know the work done is really amazing. I just will miss the snow so much......

OfficialDOWL
Developer
Donation rank:

03 May 2021 00:26

As I said in my last post, the snow isn't being removed, so you can still enjoy the snow :)
Developer for Iceland Image
#3 forum spammer with a username beginning 'O'
ATS Background Map
ETS2 Background Maps

rudenkov vladimir

03 May 2021 08:31

Iceland is made perfectly! I did a lot of trips there, and posted a lot of screenshots of Iceland. Thank you for your excellent work!
ProMods - (senior) Beta tester.

03 Oct 2013

TruckingDutchman010
Donation rank:

05 May 2021 14:57

Since there's a discussion on whether Iceland has to be covered by snow or not, isn't it worth considering making an add-on which removes the snow in Iceland, for those who want so, while those who want to keep the snow can choose not to install this add-on? Or is it too complicated to make something like that?

OfficialDOWL
Developer
Donation rank:

05 May 2021 17:39

Making an addon to either add summer in the north, or add snow back to the north would be way too much effort, every area would have to be made in summer and winter which would take far too long. For now it'll remain as is because for every person who loves the snow there is another who wants it to be summer so the fairest solution is to keep a mix of both.
ATS Background Map
ETS2 Background Maps

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

06 May 2021 12:28

And you're doing a damn good job in doing so.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

TruckingDutchman010
Donation rank:

06 May 2021 13:42

Absolutely! ProMods Iceland is amazingly beautiful! And personally I'm more than fine with the choice of snow in the North and summer in the South. But why do you have to build every area twice for an add-on? There already exist some season mods which covers the land with snow and makes the roads slippery, for example Grimes's mods. Isn't it possible to make such a mod which only affects certain sectors, c.q. Iceland (or eventually Svalbard)? Or am I overlooking something in this?

OfficialDOWL
Developer
Donation rank:

06 May 2021 15:11

Thank you for your kind words :)

Season mods simply swap out models and textures from summer to winter. This results in a fairly poor representation of whichever season is modded to as the map was made for a different season and so you will still see season specific things in game. They change the whole map as they simply swap textures out for different ones. In addition they don't work at all in newer areas where coloured brushes are used as you end up with snow that is green/brown/etc... These factors combined means that an addon for winter/summer in Iceland would have to be made by providing new map sectors specific to the season to provide the same high quality as the original season. This would also have to wait until all of Iceland is refreshed for now or I'd have to rebuild areas more than once (On top of converting them to a different season).

TLDR; No season mods can't be limited by sector, and rebuilding Iceland in 2 different seasons would be too much work that would be better spent rebuilding old areas or adding new content.
ATS Background Map
ETS2 Background Maps

TruckingDutchman010
Donation rank:

06 May 2021 21:06

Thank you for your clear explanation. That makes a lot of sense. I totally agree it's not worth it to build areas twice if you can better put that time into creating new areas. Keep on the good work!

By the way, any idea when the SSM4 to Vladivostok will be finished? 😂🤣

tantalus

17 May 2021 18:41

Sorry, i started all of this lol. I know the thing about snow was settled, i didnt mean to keep the flame alive about this.

Im fine driving without snow. I mean my specific point was to make roads more slippery and more dangerous. Snow in the environment is beautiful, but not really something that is worth to keep if it means a lot of work. For me snow is something really unique because i live in a country where snow is almost non-existent, i think we had snow this year for three or four days (and i mean falling snowflakes, not that the environment was covered in snow..) because of the hurricane, and thats about it. The last time i saw snow here was in 2015 i think lol. I guess that for other people, snow is not that relevant.

So everytime i drove through Iceland it was soo refreshing. lol.

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information