Faroe Islands and Iceland Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
Chrischrill
Donation rank:

16 May 2014 04:07

Almighty wrote:Well seems obvious to me...of course you go by ferry to Iceland. :)
And here I was expecting spending 40 minutes on a bridge into nowhere 8-)
Commonly known as Chrill on the Internet.

kasper2406
Donation rank:

16 May 2014 04:45

MandelSoft wrote:Sure they have quarries. How else do they get that large amount of aluminium export?
Well, as far as I have listened in my geography classes, the amount of aluminium as a raw material, called alumina, ain't that high on Iceland, if even non existent. The reason why so much aluminium, the metal you get after transforming the alumina properly, can be found in the Icelandic under grounds. Because of the many geysers that Iceland have, the Icelandic people are very good at using the heat from geysers to create energy. In fact, the produce so much energy, that they are talking about making cables to Great Britain, just to send energy. The amount of energy there must be used to produce aluminium is extremely high, so therefore production of aluminium is many times in places that produces too much energy. Many times the raw alumina can come from the other side of the world, just to be transformed into aluminium on Iceland. Because of that, I would suggest having many loads of alumina being transported from harbours to the factories, and from the factories you can take the aluminium to the harbours or on the ferry.

If any people have something to say, please correct me

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

16 May 2014 04:59

* ETS2 is still a game.

Influencing cargo flows is barely possible.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

Purno
Donation rank:

16 May 2014 06:02

RoadRageDude wrote:yea it will be but other than that I love these 4 screenshots.
Nemmm21 wrote:I also love these *4 screenshots.:)
Jan Verschueren wrote:Nice!!
Footy wrote:Looking good Purno! :D
Thanks! Glad you like it.
PI'ILLOW folk wrote:Do you go to Iceland by ferry?
No, we'll take the train.
kasper2406 wrote:
MandelSoft wrote:Sure they have quarries. How else do they get that large amount of aluminium export?
Well, as far as I have listened in my geography classes, the amount of aluminium as a raw material, called alumina, ain't that high on Iceland, if even non existent. The reason why so much aluminium, the metal you get after transforming the alumina properly, can be found in the Icelandic under grounds. Because of the many geysers that Iceland have, the Icelandic people are very good at using the heat from geysers to create energy. In fact, the produce so much energy, that they are talking about making cables to Great Britain, just to send energy. The amount of energy there must be used to produce aluminium is extremely high, so therefore production of aluminium is many times in places that produces too much energy. Many times the raw alumina can come from the other side of the world, just to be transformed into aluminium on Iceland. Because of that, I would suggest having many loads of alumina being transported from harbours to the factories, and from the factories you can take the aluminium to the harbours or on the ferry.

If any people have something to say, please correct me
Interesting info, that explains why I wasn't able to find any information on Icelandic mines. The thing is, in order to make Iceland possible in game, I need industries/companies to add to Iceland. (Otherwise there wouldn't be anything to haul). Additionally, Iceland's inner land is unpopulated. (Apart from a few hotels, I was unable to find even a small town in the middle of Iceland). So the only solution I can come up with, is adding remote quarries (Steinbruch) and farms (eAcres) in the inner lands. It's the only way I can think of to make those roads being used.

But you're very welcome to think along and see if there's another possible solution. I'd hate to break down my quarry road though. :P

By the way, what about bauxite? I'm not a chemist, but if I understood Wikipedia correctly, bauxite is being used for Aluminium production too. Any bauxite sources on Iceland?

kasper2406
Donation rank:

16 May 2014 07:56

Yes, alumina comes from bauxite, which then can be transformed into aluminium. I have checked my old geography book, but I could not find any other raw materials on Iceland, perhaps the Icelandic people know some more than me? But just because that Iceland doesn't have any huge quarries filled with raw materialism doesn't stop this being an awesome project

Karloe

16 May 2014 08:29

kasper2406 wrote:just because that Iceland doesn't have any huge quarries filled with raw materialism doesn't stop this being an awesome project
That, and in regions where it is easily available, say just above "corn" sized particles, it is used as a filler and low release part in fertilizing ground. Besides that, you could also use it as Basalt quarries. (Probably not the right Lava, but then again, it's a Game.)

And, on another side-note, if you have to return Empty, risk of the Job, We "real" Drivers get one, it's just the "hired drivers" that will be costing serious money.

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

16 May 2014 10:03

Karloe wrote:Besides that, you could also use it as Basalt quarries. (Probably not the right Lava, but then again, it's a Game.)
Correct, in Iceland you get pumice, not basalt. http://www.jei.is/index.html
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

Purno
Donation rank:

16 May 2014 10:08

Jan Verschueren wrote:Correct, in Iceland you get pumice, not basalt. http://www.jei.is/index.html
That's quarry stuff, right? Tell me it is please! :D

RoadRageDude
Donation rank:

16 May 2014 10:51

no problem Purno. And Im liking the googlemaps view of ProMods progress link that you have its very helpful.

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

16 May 2014 11:15

Purno wrote:
Jan Verschueren wrote:Correct, in Iceland you get pumice, not basalt. http://www.jei.is/index.html
That's quarry stuff, right? Tell me it is please! :D
Well, seeing as, in an active volcanic region, you only get lava solidfying at the surface, I doubt you'd have to really dig for it, but I think it's not too much of a stretch.
Last edited by Jan Verschueren on 16 May 2014 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information