Future of Promods ETS2???

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
tomsun66
Donation rank:

04 Aug 2022 09:15

i have big concerns about the future of Promods.

Let me explain why:
a lot of intended playgrounds are on hold due to the situation east of us (fair point and completely accepted)

Promods was for a quite long time the major expansion for ets2, and was used to behave like a leader, TIMES CHANGED!
In the meantime there are a lot of other expansions, giving the full picture TOGETHER, in that times there is asked a collaboration and not confrontation. If you have agreements you have to stick to them OR to change them multilaterally, BUT FOR SURE not to change them one-sided.

PACTA SUNT SERVANDA

If some other important maps refuse to collaborate with you in the future its off course their decision, but off course NOT CAUSED by THEIR behaviour, but probably by Promods behaviour.

I'm a big Bigmap Combo fan, mostly based on Promods as i like your style, but if i have to choose between Promods only or rest of the world without Promods, for sure i would choose world without promods.

Even if you loose playground to to concurring expansion ot SCS in ETS2, there are a lot fields to do what SCS not did, and you allready did a lot, secondary country roads and minor cities.

If Promods continues to prohibit the work of the other mappers due to one-sided decisions, IMHO Promods makes itself OBSOLETE.

I think you have to take into account the big other Partners (NOT COMPETITORS) like Roex, Rusmap, Southern Region, Terramaps (RtA, RtRS,...).

Its always like in every Teamsport, the one not willing to act as a Teamplayer has to go, NOT THE TEAM.

There was a chance to to build a team around Promods for a long time, but you ditched it, now you have to fight to stay in the team as peer to peer, but you are at the moment trying to ditch this also.

Already in the past if there were problems between the mods IT WAS ALWAYS THE OTHERS FAULT, grab your own nose.

Keep compatibel with the other mods, keep on track with the releases (it helps noone it the new version releases 2 day before SCS releases a new version, and it won't work again.)

Be a RELIABLE Partner to the other (map)modders, as above mentioned the OTHERS have the CRITICAL MASS, IMHO Promods does not have the critical mass anymore.

In the Past Promods was the last to go, now Promods is the first to go.

All the Map-Modders should find a common way of collaboration, and there it is completely irrelevant what role some had played in the past (thats adressed especially at Promods)

Someone who uses Promods is in general a friend of big maps, therefore if he can have bigger maps on cost of ditching promods he will do, as the quality (other as in the past) is really good (from the other maps)

Just my thoughts, but i would like to read your thoughts.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, gigabyte 1080ti, 32 GB, 3440*1440 Resolution, Logitech G25

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

04 Aug 2022 10:01

We don't stop anyone from doing what they want and we expect a similar concession from others unless we've come to a previous arrangement.

We can't keep up with what every little map mod wants to do, we just do what we want to do. If another map mod decides to approach us on amicable terms to come to a mutual solution for connections, then we're open to that. We had an arrangement with Rusmap's previous custodian Aldimator that led to many years of mutual compatibility, but the new custodians consciously and deliberately broke that agreement before their first release.

On the other hand, if the owners of a map mod want to fire random bullshit and lies at us from their own little ring-fenced fiefdom, then we won't go out of our way to help them. Grand declarations are pointless if they're made on a screened Discord server filled with 80 sycophants.
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

ScuL
Founder

04 Aug 2022 15:43

Please take this reply as my PERSONAL point of view and not that of the ProMods team.

You have to understand the structure of ProMods, we are a modding collective. Every developer makes their own development decisions. There is no centrally organised plan as to where we work or how we expand the map. One of the main drivers of our success is that our developers are not told what to do. Instead they can work wherever they feel like. This boosts creativity and generally prevents "map editor fatigue".
tomsun66 wrote:
04 Aug 2022 09:15
i have big concerns about the future of Promods.
I don't have any concerns and do not understand yours.
Let me explain why:
a lot of intended playgrounds are on hold due to the situation east of us (fair point and completely accepted)
I guess you are talking about Russia/Ukraine here. The hold-up of the Heart of Russia DLC forces us to find alternative routes to Kazakhstan but we will get there in a different way.
Promods was for a quite long time the major expansion for ets2, and was used to behave like a leader, TIMES CHANGED!
Statistically we are still the most popular map mod and there is very little evidence that times have changed.

Without going into too much detail, we have some statistics on the amount of ETS2 players and the use of mods.
Only about 20% of ETS2 gamers use mods. About 80% of them use vanilla.
About 10% of ETS2 gamers have at one time installed, or are still using ProMods.
From the 10% of ETS2 users that have used ProMods, only about 5% uses RusMap or SR. These are the second biggest map mods in terms of usage. All other map mods have less than 1% of the user base.
In the meantime there are a lot of other expansions, giving the full picture TOGETHER, in that times there is asked a collaboration and not confrontation. If you have agreements you have to stick to them OR to change them multilaterally, BUT FOR SURE not to change them one-sided.
I don't understand where you see confrontation. ProMods provide a very rich asset pack which all other modders (or modding teams) can use as long as they have ProMods dependency.
Many third party map mods exist for areas that we do not cover or have no plans on covering. Whether a third party map mod covers an area however makes no difference in terms of where our developers want to work. As a team, we want to give a player the best driving experience and when we plan a release we cannot possibly take into account other smaller mods.

ProMods is a work of nearly 10 years of asset creation. The raw data is close to 8GB now and the multi-file pack consists of 9 compressed files. It is a tremendous amount of work to maintain this pack as it is, and to keep it synchronised and integrated with the work of SCS. We simply do not have the time to analyse other mods and plan around their file structure as well.
but probably by Promods behaviour
I don't see any "behaviour" by us. We just make a mod.
I'm a big Bigmap Combo fan,
Congratulations. You are in the <1% of ETS2 players.
mostly based on Promods as i like your style, but if i have to choose between Promods only or rest of the world without Promods, for sure i would choose world without promods.
You are free to do what you want.
If Promods continues to prohibit the work of the other mappers due to one-sided decisions, IMHO Promods makes itself OBSOLETE.
Where do we do this? We do not prohibit anything. Any modder can mod anywhere.
I think you have to take into account the big other Partners (NOT COMPETITORS) like Roex, Rusmap, Southern Region, Terramaps (RtA, RtRS,...).
I am personally not interested in them, do not play them, and basically ignore them.
My personal goal is to have a successful mod with ProMods.
Its always like in every Teamsport, the one not willing to act as a Teamplayer has to go, NOT THE TEAM.
We have a great team of 171 staff if you include all the contributors and I am proud of our achievements.
There was a chance to to build a team around Promods for a long time, but you ditched it, now you have to fight to stay in the team as peer to peer, but you are at the moment trying to ditch this also.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Already in the past if there were problems between the mods IT WAS ALWAYS THE OTHERS FAULT, grab your own nose.

Keep compatibel with the other mods, keep on track with the releases (it helps noone it the new version releases 2 day before SCS releases a new version, and it won't work again.)

Be a RELIABLE Partner to the other (map)modders, as above mentioned the OTHERS have the CRITICAL MASS, IMHO Promods does not have the critical mass anymore.
As far as I know there are no problems with other map mods. Whatever problems others may see is their issue.
Just my thoughts, but i would like to read your thoughts.
My thoughts are as above, as you requested.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information