A question about Canadian driving.

Ask questions about the ATS mod here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
ScuL
Founder

19 Jan 2021 03:54

voss wrote:
18 Jan 2021 03:05
  • Flashing red: simply means a STOP sign in any context.
It's interesting how these things are interpreted differently around the world. I would interpret a flashing red as amber (proceed with caution)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

robas57

19 Jan 2021 20:48

In France, whether the red light is fixed or flashing, it is an absolute stop

kelvin2003

18 Mar 2021 01:48

bricksathome wrote:
23 Dec 2020 19:09
The flashing green arrow is the fully protected stage
No, I mean a protected/prohibited left turn signal where the left-turn lanes have dedicated Red/Yellow/Green Arrow signal indications that are separate from the parallel through movement signal indications. https://www.richmond.ca/services/ttp/signals/how.htm
Last edited by bmwGTR on 18 Mar 2021 07:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reduced quote

NickInCanada

23 Mar 2021 00:10

lonestranger wrote:
05 Dec 2020 18:48
Edit: Whoops, I see KeaganExtremeGaming said the same thing.

British Columbian here. To pile on the confusion, in B.C. if the cross street only has traffic lanes going to the left (for instance a one-way street) it is legal to turn left on a red light.

I don't know if there are any intersections like that in the mod, and if I'd be surprised if it was even possible to disable the fines for turning left on red only in B.C.
Also legal in Alberta and there is a lot of this as in Calgary the downtown has A LOT of one way streets, definitely more than Vancouver.

Added in 5 minutes 38 seconds:
regis902 wrote:
09 Jan 2021 16:30
Hello, first off I’m loving this mod. It’s nice to be able to come up to my home country for a drive.

I’ve worked in traffic engineering/transportation planning so I find the traffic signal discussion interesting. It used to be that a “fast” flashing green across Canada indicated a fully protected phase, ie you can go straight, left or right without any conflicting movements (including pedestrians).

However, there was the opportunity for confusion with BC where a slower flashing green indicates that the signals are pedestrian activated. I’ve never really understood why the need for this slow flashing green. Lots of other provinces (including mine - Nova Scotia) have pedestrian activated signals (also known as half signals) and we just use the solid green ball signal like any other traffic signals.

So to my knowledge most other provinces have eliminated the flashing green ball signal for protected phases and instead use green arrows. In some places the arrows flash, in others they are static. The flashing green ball is no longer used in Nova Scotia at all.

A piece of traffic signal trivia - there is no such thing as a yellow light (in Canada at least). It’s actually amber, a combination of yellow and orange hues. Tell a traffic engineer you’ve seen a yellow traffic light and then get ready for the discussion that ensues! :)
The flashing green thing really throws us all off the first time we go to Vancouver and see the flashing greens. From what I've seen though it is a great system compared to the ordinary crosswalk lights we have in the rest of the country. It may hold up traffic a bit longer, but ensure that traffic knows to stop and avoids the confusion that comes when someone can roll though the crosswalk with the ordinary crosswalk lights and has to look around to see if it's safe or not. It also has the added advantage of allowing the cross traffic at the stop signs time to proceed. What they have done where I live for the busiest crosswalks is similar to this, but they put a normal traffic light up and just have it solid green until a pedestrian crosses, but we have very few of them.

GT182

24 Mar 2021 00:34

One other thing about Montreal. Never ever run a yellow light, especially with a truck. Don't ask me how I know. LOL

BTW... I'm new to the forums. Hello all. Looks great. And an eh to the Canadian members ;) .... I used to haul out of the GM plant up in St. Therese, PQ for Anchor Mtr Frt. I knew Montreal and the surround are pretty good. I moved south to Delaware so I don't get to visit up North too often. Stay safe everyone.

KeaganExtremeGaming

29 Mar 2021 01:45

voss wrote:
18 Jan 2021 03:05

Although I don't remember the difference between fixed and flashing yellow. Sincerely, I don't remember seeing a flashing yellow ever.
bit late to this party but a static yellow means stop if you can and a flashing yellow is proceed with caution

voss

02 Apr 2021 23:34

Great to know! I'm becoming a better driver thanks to ATS and the community!
So, basically, does a flashing yellow have the same meaning of a fixed green when turning left?
  • Flash GREEN --- Good to go straight or turn. Intersections have a red light.
  • Fixed GREEN --- Good to go straight but must yield when turning. Opposite traffic has a green light.
  • Flash YELLOW --- Proceed with caution. Intersections and opposite traffic have a green light.
  • Fixed YELLOW --- Stop if you can.
  • Flash RED --- Stop sign.
  • Fixed RED --- Mustn't go straight or turn left. Stop sign when turning to the right.
Is it a good synopsis?
Last edited by bmwGTR on 03 Apr 2021 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove quote, please do not quote the post above yours

KeaganExtremeGaming

14 Jul 2021 03:46

voss wrote:
02 Apr 2021 23:34
Great to know! I'm becoming a better driver thanks to ATS and the community!
So, basically, does a flashing yellow have the same meaning of a fixed green when turning left?
  • Flash GREEN --- Good to go straight or turn. Intersections have a red light.
  • Fixed GREEN --- Good to go straight but must yield when turning. Opposite traffic has a green light.
  • Flash YELLOW --- Proceed with caution. Intersections and opposite traffic have a green light.
  • Fixed YELLOW --- Stop if you can.
  • Flash RED --- Stop sign.
  • Fixed RED --- Mustn't go straight or turn left. Stop sign when turning to the right.
Is it a good synopsis?
in bc flashing greens mean its pedestrian controlled so if it happens to be at an intersection the streets without the light will have a stop sign. you can also turn left on red if turning onto a one way

GT182

23 Jun 2022 18:59

No Kegan. Even if it's flashing you will get a ticket.... as I did in Montreal on Rue Notre-Dame. But maybe that's only for American trucks pulling tank trailers. :roll: Road was icy and the cops sat where they could not be seen next to a bar. I could not stop. And yes, I tried but would have jack knifed under a railroad underpass. So, I kept going and was pulled over. $125.00 US dollars worth.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ATS”

• Information