How to use objects from other maps in my own.

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
scotth1701

15 Dec 2021 00:09

Hi all, I am very new to making my own maps, so new I just started a few hours ago.

Hopefully someone can help me. I want to use objects, specifically buildings that people have created/used in maps they have made in the map I want to make. How do I import the objects into the map editor from maps I have down loaded and have running in ATS so I can choose which ones I would like to use?

NikALM

19 Dec 2021 20:40

If the map mod are in mods folder, automatically all map models will be imported. Be careful when using models from other mods

scotth1701

20 Dec 2021 00:06

I put a few map mod into the mod folder and started the editor. When I go into the prefab contents browser the editor crashes.
I took out the maps I added to the mod folder and just eft my one in there, started the editor again. Go into the prefab contents browser and the editor still crashes.

What's going on? and how do I fix it?

EdgeGladiator

20 Dec 2021 13:42

If you have used prefabs and models from another map, your map becomes dependent on this one, and you will have to have it always in the mod folder, otherwise it won't work. And if it's with several maps it is even more a mess.

That's why it's really really not a good idea to use models or prefabs from other maps. Better to do without or seeing ask the author of this or these map for permission to import some of these models in your map.

Also, somes maps can be incompatible (they modify both a model, a def or a material for example), which may explain the fact that you cannot open prefabs part in the content browser.

This is possible to depending on using the models and prefabs of a map if we assume to be an addon of this one (as is the case with the ProMods addon which uses the materials of ProMods while being dependent on it).

To fix it, I advise you to delete all the prefabs or models from the other maps that you have used, then to remove these maps from the mod folder and finally to reopen the editor.
Senior Beta-Tester since 2.30
Translator for French and Spanish languages
Developper of Mediterranean Map, Maghreb Map and Real European Gas Stations Reloaded.

NikALM

20 Dec 2021 14:06

scotth1701 wrote:
20 Dec 2021 00:06
I put a few map mod into the mod folder and started the editor. When I go into the prefab contents browser the editor crashes.
I took out the maps I added to the mod folder and just eft my one in there, started the editor again. Go into the prefab contents browser and the editor still crashes.

What's going on? and how do I fix it?
Check the editor log. Probably its caused by a bad file in def/world folder.

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information