Assets & General Improvements

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
Herdox

16 Aug 2018 16:26

New petrol stations are Total so it will be easy for you

ArikTheBuilder
Donation rank:

17 Aug 2018 02:16

jdenm8 wrote:
16 Aug 2018 08:06
The new SCS petrol stations are designed very differently to the older ones. They require a completely different skillset to reskin them for other companies. The old ones we just change the texture and make a new look. The new ones require making many model changes (basically creating an entire copy of the prefab and modifying it from there) since they store less information about how they look in the texture itself.

We investigated updating the AI. Adding our own versions means we need to update them ourselves any time SCS makes a change to them. Considering we don't have enough modellers as it is, and the ones we do have wear many hats, we considered this to be too much overhead to make the changes worth it.
Yeah i know, i mean just one more brand. to mix it in italy and france and scandinavia which have only one company, this is why i like the new stations! Also SCS has released GOB stations with 1.32 germany rebuild so i guess they will become usefull for further releases and maybe 2.30 too.

Simix2018

27 Jan 2019 11:06

Hi, in the rework of Germany and the baltics sea dlc there were much greater looking roads introduced. Will they be used also in some other contries (like Austria, Poland, etc.)?
ProMods user since: 2.26
ETS2 player since: 1.30.x

bmwGTR

27 Jan 2019 11:24

Hi,

sure - that is the reason why DLC's are getting mandatory - the developers are using the assets all over the map.

You can also check this thread - here it is explanied how the map would look like if the developers wouldn't use the assets coming with the DLC's:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22129

Best regards,
bmwGTR
ETS2: ProMods + RusMap + The Great Steppe
ATS: ProMods + Grand Canyon + Reforma

ProMods Moderator since April 2018

Simix2018

27 Jan 2019 11:53

Thank you for your answer
ProMods user since: 2.26
ETS2 player since: 1.30.x

Vøytek
Developer

25 Mar 2019 19:30

I think it's time for a summary of my sign modelling work done since March 2018.

I made quite a lot of signs, learning Blender and getting more experience with graphic software during this whole time, which helped me create some unique textures for my latest signs that you'll see in PM 2.40 ;)

Signs are one of the most important elements. They make every road much more realistic and help you believe you're in the country you just entered after crossing a border. As some countries have a similar landscape, signs play a crucial role and make a huge difference.

I'll try to use pictures to show you the awesome difference between SCS and PM, so you can understand how much effort and love I put into this "rework" (which was basically working from scratch).
Keep in mind some textures are straight from Wikipedia (like all prohibitory or info signs) but most other signs were made from nothing and I used official documents to do everything as realistic as possible.
An example of an official drawing:

And now let's get into signs!

Left - SCS model from base game, it uses textures for names (editable signs didn't exist back then of course; keep in mind the black/white texture isn't the original, blurry one)
Center - my first Blender edit, improved textures, editable city name, but it still didn't offer enough flexibility when it comes to long names
Right - my latest model, correct size and textures, many variants to choose from

HixoPL and me decided to experiment with an innovative feature - sign stands. SCS uses them only in ATS, so I'm pretty sure we're the only two people who introduced this technology to ETS2 so far. In ProMods we always look for new, cool stuff which makes our work more effective but also provides a better experience for our players, because we can easily recreate real situations.
That's a quick image of how it works:
Only the top sign has 2 poles, so their models don't flicker inside each other like it was happening in the past.
This awesome feature allows us to use only one sign model with many poles' variants, here's another example:
No matter what case we'll find in real life, we're prepared for it!

There was a similar issue with river name signs - fitting a long name on such a small sign produced hilarious results.
Well, nothing will surprise us now ;)

Many signs were just ugly, both on the front and back:

Or way too big:

And here are some creations, which are as realistic as possible, but took hours of tweaking because of no official documentation, so I'm very happy with the result:
And elot360PL gave me a challenge, so I did my best to make it look realistic, by looking at similar signs and using my own knowledge.

Here's the result, hopefully no sign was forgotten :D

I hope all my future signs will be even better, as it's a never ending journey - it's time consuming, sometimes annoying but also fun and rewarding. I'm sure you'll all appreciate our hard work when driving through Poland and knowing all this, your experience will be even better!
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

dennis_2310

25 Mar 2019 19:58

well done voytek. I respect your work, but I have one question: Are the guidepost-signs also improved from you?

DH-Trans Luxembourg s.à.r.l - delievering goods everywhere in Europe
Headquarters: Luxembourg (L), Kaliningrad (RUS)

I speak: 🇩🇪 🇱🇺 🇬🇧 🇫🇷 🇷🇺

Rudi Raser
In Memoriam
Donation rank:

25 Mar 2019 19:59

No Support via PM!

scan720
Developer
Donation rank:

25 Mar 2019 20:30

Wow that Picssss <3
Developer since July 2020
Working in Poland

Vøytek
Developer

25 Mar 2019 20:38

dennis_2310 wrote:
25 Mar 2019 19:58
Are the guidepost-signs also improved from you?
What do you mean? Could you show me a screenshot of this sign?
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information