Heartland journeys

Post your own screenshots & videos of our mods here
krigl

23 Oct 2017 21:41

Hello there…

I often find myself drifting into the “Share the love” section of this site when hungrily surfing for info on new developments so thought I would also share, especially as I often take screenshots while "travelling" in ETS2. Don’t know why, a habit from previous times with Microsoft Flight Simulator and related forums, maybe.

It seems somewhat likely that nobody is going to care, but this is an introductory post so just some brief waffle: I’ve been playing ETS2 since 2013 and using Promods since 2015. I find even just driving around in the base game pretty enjoyable to be honest (though without mods and the DLCs I'd have probably forgotten it ages ago), and the quality decent especially considering the small team and time/budget constraints that SCS had. However, it isn't really a 2012 game visually... more like 2008 - ish, perhaps, which is probably when SCS started work on German Truck Simulator. Promods take it to a new level but thank you to all developers, you are amazing!!!!!!

Berlin, late September.

One often sees images and videos of spectacular all-new areas like Iceland, but I know a lot has been done by Promods in Germany and other parts of the base map… And indeed, if you look back to the beginning of the SCS blog one can see just how excited people were for the original game, that "vanilla game" that people now pore scorn on ...so thought it might be nice to do something different and "share the love" by giving a bit of attention to those parts of the ETS2 world that one doesn't see so often in screenshots. Also, "building the company" isn't much of a motivating factor any more, and this provides me some motivation to keep playing. And trying to make the best of some of the blander areas is a nice challenge. And of course the new areas will look even better after driving through the old ones. For all these reasons and more I decided to make this screenshot tour of the original base map, though with Promods installed, of course.

SCS did a great job of capturing the utter dullness of driving on the autobahn in Germany (my real-life experience in the south, at least) but ETS2 is supposed to be a game played for fun and so like many people I’ve always avoided Germany if possible in the past. And that's why I'm starting the tour here... to see if it's as bad as I remember, and how much a few great mods can improve it.

So, here we are, leaving spectacular Berlin and the pounding techno at my garage for Flensburg with a cargo of Lamb’s Stomachs or something, sporting a bizarre yellow mechanical tick on the backside.

Once out of the city we hit our first, inevitable German Au-to-bahn and head north. On this tour the focus is going to be the scenery, not the trucks, so I'm going to stick to default paint schemes and the few scs skins I own. Mods used: Just Promods 2.2 (of course) and Grimes’ early autumn mod + Jazzycat’s stuff.

Lubeck is a small scenery fixture rather than a proper ETS2 town but still really nice with all those enclosed beach chairs. Guess the German Baltic seaside can get rather chilly and windy. I hope to discover and "photograph" plenty more places like this in Germany and the rest of the base map regions.

Picturesque…between Lubeck and Kiel, I think.

Another view of the same spot. I'm sure people know it well. With each post we're going to move slowly through the year, finishing off in May/June, probably. I heard that Promods have put a lot of effort into vegetation in different regions, but it only works with SCS's eternal summer. It's unfortunate that by using Grimes' mods the custom veg will be obliterated, but I really like driving in the current season. There should be plenty of time to drive in summer too...

Nearing Flensburg and the Danish border… .

Hope people enjoy viewing the screenshots in this thread... and that I can get to the end of this project without losing interest. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for looking!

Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 21 Oct 2018 21:30, edited 5 times in total.

krigl

23 Oct 2017 22:12

Another set was more or less ready to go, so here they are - a short trip (most trips will be short due to lack of free time and the need to stay within the chosen region) from Flensburg to Magdeburg via a couple of nice places.

Flensburg - a small town on the border with Denmark - is okay, it has some interesting tower blocks : )

Early in the morning it presents a more startling, dystopian future-evoking type of face...

On this grim-looking early morning we couldnt get a job to Magdeburg so trailerless...

Puttgarden, looking all dreamy like the promised land or something, quite the opposite of Flensburg.

Fine little agglomeration of houses.

And a giga-ferry at the end of the street.

Back on the road to Magdebug.... Diggers!

Those walls are reminiscent of a 19th century fortress.

Yellow behemoth sighted near Uelzen.

Uelzen is a real gem of a place...

I mean, just look at that! Wouldn't you want to live there? Next to that roundabout? Seriously, that is beautiful!

Back to the main roads...

Impressive, all that asphalt to cook eggs on in the summer...

Arrival in Magdeburg. Time for a check-up.

And a ride on the helter-skelter!! Wheee!

Cheers!

Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 07 Dec 2017 22:39, edited 6 times in total.

krigl

25 Oct 2017 20:58

Third trip out of five in NE Germany... Magdeburg via Leipzig to Erfurt.

Leaving Magdeburg in the rain.

En route to Leipzig...

A sunnier view of Halle? Salle?

Another way of getting around...

Suburbia near Leipzig.

Off to do some DIY shopping in Leipzig.

After all that shopping I could do with a sit down.

Pausing for breath after puffing up the footbridge steps.

Another view from one of Leipzig's parks.

Just time for a quick cheap coffee and to use the loo.

And they're neck and neck as they pass the Taj Mahal.

Erfurt...we've arrived.

Cheers

Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 07 Dec 2017 23:20, edited 2 times in total.

krigl

26 Oct 2017 21:24

NW Germany - trip 4/5
From Erfurt up the autobahn to Berlin...

...pulling an excavator with the wrong chassis on my truck. Whoops! :roll:

What the...? This intersection and the satnav didn't get along.
After that it was plain sailing.

Love these road systems... not sure if my fellow travellers enjoyed waiting while I played with my drone camera.

Back to Berlin.

Pleasant place to hang out on my day off.

Vroom....

A lot of FPS-saving holes in the scenery makes Berlin hard to photograph, but it looks great from close to the ground!

Cheers!

Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 09 Dec 2017 22:39, edited 3 times in total.

rudenkov vladimir

27 Oct 2017 13:06

Very beautiful pictures!
ProMods - (senior) Beta tester.

03 Oct 2013

kamilspiew

27 Oct 2017 17:39

Really nice! I like to read descriptions :lol:
...also beautiful Actros ;)

krigl

27 Oct 2017 20:18

rudenkov vladimir wrote:
27 Oct 2017 13:06
Very beautiful pictures!
Thanks very much! I like "photographing" the scenery :P

krigl

27 Oct 2017 20:20

kamilspiew wrote:
27 Oct 2017 17:39
Really nice! I like to read descriptions :lol:
...also beautiful Actros ;)
Thank you... I don't like to take things too seriously :geek:
Prefer the newer version myself, but the old one has its moments...

krigl

27 Oct 2017 20:47

Last set in North East Germany.
Berlin to Rostock then down to Dresden.

Still got that excavator, changed the front bit... for another 4x2. Wasn't thinking about realism. Again. Ah well...

Not too much to see between Berlin and Rostock. Autobahn driving, but nicer than default all the same.

Arrival in Rostock.

Love that factory slap bang in the city centre. Or is it a branch of the Tate Modern?

The classic silver Merc look.

Rostock has hidden depths.

Err...

Freaky!

Goodnight Rostock!

After a day enjoying the sights of Rostock we're off to Dresden.

A bit of indecision almost cost us...

Nice one. We made it...

Dresden has a wide railway and nice surroundings.

A river, too.

Those cube-houses look cool here.

Quite a nice illusion of size.

Well, NE Germany is a lot better than I remember it, those "giant" roads added by Promods + a bit of seasonal pizzazz from Grimes made it special. If you want tons of 1 lane roads and rural bliss you need to go elsewhere... to W Poland maybe, next part of the original base map on this "ETS2 heartlands" tour.

Cheers

Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 08 Dec 2017 23:25, edited 3 times in total.

krigl

28 Oct 2017 21:51

Time for the second installment in "Heartland Journeys" - an exploration
of the ETS2 base map, with Promods, Grimes and Jazzycat: Western Poland.

It's mid-October and the sun is still shining, most of the time. There are lots of
narrow roads and things to see, so please forgive my camera-happy-ness... we're
starting off with a rather large set.

Entering Poland, we are greeted by "panelaky" peeking coyly over a wall.

Zgorzelec... brought my creaking old computer to its knees. Not sure why,
Berlin was a bit less choppy and I'm sure it's much bigger. Perhaps an after effect
of the Promods/PR split?

Small town scenery in Zgorzelec.

Picked up a cargo of logs down a back street by the railway.

Typical SCS road I think, but nice country around. Read the information on this site
about the split. with PR. Can't believe how well-written, detailed and reasonable it was. Same with
SCS communications in their blog. Friendly, courteous. Really like that about this community.

Quite a large intersection on the way to Wroclaw.

We reach Wrocław and our first exposure to the famous Polish Dark L.

Just passing through on the way to Poznan.

Some of that "rural bliss" I was warbling about earlier.

Less blissful but kind of cool.

Arriving in Poznan to deliver our cargo and get some kip.

Typical Poznan views.

Overslept! We're going to run out of daylight on this job.

Leaving Poznan in an optimistic mood. Unbeknownst to me I was entering a land scarred
by tragedy.

Nasty business...

I think this was Człuchów.

Careful with those logs!

Oh dear...

Too dark to look at scenery - time for bed.

Woke up early, entering Bobolice...

...to be greeted by a house fire. Grim.

Western Poland seems a dangerous place... but very pretty.

We made it to Koszalin without further incident.

Time to drop off the cargo. I wonder if there's a bar open at this hour? Need a drink to calm my frazzled nerves.

Cheers

Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 10 Dec 2017 22:57, edited 11 times in total.

Return to “Share the love”

• Information