First impressions/experiences/opinions about ATS

Ask questions about the ATS mod here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Royota
Donation rank:

03 Feb 2016 16:42

Yah, i like ATS, i dont know why, maybe because I grew up with Across America. I miss old trucks in ATS. The game has bright colors. I am undecided about tonight: play ATS or ETS?
American Truck gives me a special feeling, an american feeling. And it has some nice and unusual roads.

Kobra2112

03 Feb 2016 16:44

cdawg9999 wrote: I think that SCS will resolve some of those issues. Pavel cares about the community and SCS does listen. As for the map, hopefully California gets the promods treatment.
Other than that great work SCS. The future looks very promising!
You're entirely right on that regard, it could have been a lot better. I haven't visited Nevada yet, but I'm hoping that it's a bit better done. If Cali doesn't get the Promods treatment, I might need to sit down and learn the editor a bit and figure out what I can do to make things go a little smoother in Cali, as the overall roadworks are just so distractingly wrong. Even with the 1:32.5 scale, there could have been fixes. Not to mention the big ol' hole right up by Eureka. US-101 connects Eureka to the rest of the state; I don't quite understand why this couldn't have been done in the game. Furthermore, El Centro... oh lord. That's on Interstate 8, not interstate 10...
PM since v1.83 :D

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ 4.0-4.4GHz
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
PSU: 1000G EVGA Platinum
RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 @ 1866MHz

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

03 Feb 2016 16:52

Kobra2112 wrote:If Cali doesn't get the Promods treatment, I might need to sit down and learn the editor a bit
What's stopping you from doing that anyway?
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Kobra2112

03 Feb 2016 19:17

Unfortunately, real life obligations. I work as a road weather forecaster IRL, and that job can be very time-consuming having to work all hours of the day. On top of this, I'm a student trying to work on finishing my degree in the next few months. So maybe, in time, I can develop for ATS. For now though, it's going to have to be assessing what can be done better and making my personal recommendations here and there :D I will be very grateful for whatever people decide to do with the map.

Royota
Donation rank:

03 Feb 2016 21:02

Are trucks limited in USA at 90 km(55 miles)?

iBallasticwolf2

03 Feb 2016 21:23

Trucks in the US by default are not limited to 55 MPH. However, some private companies put governers on their trucks which usually limit the speed at somewhere around 65-70 but trucks are not by default limited to 55.
CPU: Intel i5-4590
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: Thermaltake 650 watt bronze
RAM: 16 GB
SSD: Western Digital 500 GB
HDD: Western DIgital 1 TB

realdeal350
Developer

03 Feb 2016 21:33

I myself have not picked up a copy of the game yet but from what I've seen the road system looks horrible, especially LA (mostly the interstates). I think we all agree that the interstate system is not very good.

I also think that the scale should have been 1:25 or 1:20.

However scenery looks awesome from what I've seen :)

I am hoping to get ATS sometime soon and I might take a look at the editor and look at the assets :D
Spain developer
Canada developer
Regional Co-ordinator for the Roman region

Languages: English, italiano

Royota
Donation rank:

03 Feb 2016 21:35

So if i will check the speed limiter I will drive with 65 MPH. This is "the real driver" experience? Or can i follow the road rulles? 70 mph, 80 mph sometimes?
Thanks for answer, iBallasticwolf2

Kobra2112

03 Feb 2016 22:15

Typically you can drive up to 80mph in some areas of Nevada. Realistically speaking, the areas are so sparsely populated and there are usually so few cars on the road that it doesn't matter. Although the game does somewhat of a poor job of conveying this...

Side note: Who thought it was a good idea to put a stoplight in the middle of Interstate 80 in Reno? That's not there normally!

Lugge-Trucker
Donation rank:

03 Feb 2016 23:07

Why shouldn't it be normal to put a stoplight in the middle of Interstate 80? :shock: :lol: There is also a very short off ramp in Reno and when you are driving 55 (I guess, that's allowed there), and suddenly without any sign, speed limit goes down to 30 and you can't really break down to 30, since it's a steep downramp.
Furthermore, it is also pretty normal that a road in the center of Los Angeles just ends in some trees (discovered at the intersection at Sell Goods). You have to turn left to get to the Sell Goods yard and the road just leads on for some meters, goes under a bridge and then, there are trees set in the middle of the way. Looks brilliant and just like reality, doesn't it? Sorry, that I didn't take a picture of that, I just quit the game.
But it is also pretty normal that speed limits on the route advisor stays at 30 even though you pass signs that allow to drive 55.
What I also find very interesting, is the fact, that Oakland harbor is situated in the central part of California miles away of the Pacific ocean. Nevada is even nearer than the Pacific ocean, if you take a look at the ATS map!
And a last thing I want to mention: The rush hour around LA is created very realistically. I had to wait for about 3 hours behind another truck to get from a weighing station back onto the freeway. That's pure realism! (*Sarcasm off!*)

Oh, wait, I have another nice sidefact for you left: There is already Arizona in the game at least at a tiny bit, even though it is not declared as Arizona. Actually, El Centro as Californian city is situated at the place of Yuma, Arizona in the map editor.

Seems like, I already should get back to a nice game after only 6 hours of playing ATS in total (with 30% already discovered). Heard, that ETS2 seems to be a great game, nice scale, many kilometers to drive and furthermore, there is a nice map mod...

Return to “Questions & Feedback ATS”

• Information