Signage discussion

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
MandelSoft
Lead Developer

18 Sep 2014 11:58

ETS2-User wrote:Thank you both!
I think I will place f.e. navigation signs when this option is released that you can edit custom signs in the editor, I don't feel like creating overlays :lol:
Well, this requires extra modeling and hookup definitions, both of which are not present in the base game. For Germany, I had to start all over again, basically building all assets for the sign editor from scratch with a few pieces of extra documentation from SCS. We had to convert all sign fonts to SCS format. These are all 37 fonts to be exact:
- DIN1451 Standard, Mittelschrift & Engschrift (Germany, Czech Republic, LV)
- DIN1451 Austria, Mittelschrift & Engschrift (Austria)
- DIN1451 Hungary, Mittelschrift & Breitschrift (Hungary)
- Transport, Medium & Heavy (UK, Ireland)
- SNV, Regular & Condensed (BE, SI, FI)
- Caractères L1, L2 and L4 (FR)
- Highway Gothic Series E, E(M), F (ES)
- TrafficTypeSpain (ES, IT)
- Alfabeto Stretto (IT)
- RWS Series Cc, Ccx, Dd, Ddx, Ee, Eex (NL)
- Frutiger, Regular & Italics (CH)
- Drogowskaz, Regular & Engschrift (PL)
- Helvectia Condensed, Regular & Italics (EE)
- Vejtafletskrift (DK)
- Tratex (SE)
- Traffikalfabetet (NO)
- Universal Grotesk (SL)

Besides that, you need to create all arrows and symbols for each country and define them. So far, I only made a full set of Germany to test the concept. So there is still a long way to go...

Best,
MandelSoft
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Vladzz-G
Developer

18 Sep 2014 12:37

I can add, that Lithuania, Russia and Ukraine (maybe also Belarus) uses GOST 10807-78 (soviet standart) and GOST R 52290-2004 (modern standart).
Here is the link for the font file, if you need: http://github.com/shoorick/russian-road-sign-font

P.S. Sorry for off-top.
ETS2 HQ: Balvi (LV)
ETS2 truck license plate: NI-7211
ATS HQ: San Francisko (California)
ATS truck license plate: VP96851

Main developer of Baltic merge project
Main developer of Finland project

jontsuba
Donation rank:

18 Sep 2014 12:56

MandelSoft wrote:These are all 37 fonts to be exact:
[...]
- Highway Gothic Series E, E(M), F (ES)
- TrafficTypeSpain (ES, IT)
Actually, the guidelines were recently changed for spain. The new rule indicates to use "CCRige" (the commercial Traffic Type Spain) in all cases. Before this, Highway Gothic was for highways and freeways and TrafficTypeSpain for single carriageway roads. Here's the link: http://www.fomento.gob.es/NR/rdonlyres/ ... ma81IC.pdf
volan123 wrote:Thanks Mandelsoft! Does SI mean Slovenia? Since some people short it to SLO, SLV or SL so that's why I'm asking ;)
Yeah, SI is the international ISO code for Slovenia

ETS2-User
Developer

18 Sep 2014 13:42

Oh, I thought it was part of a patch by scs... then I'll keep on making overlays :D
And Austria uses a new font for about 3 years now, I don't know what it's called, but you still see DIN 1451 Austria quite often, as long as the signs themselves are good...
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

18 Sep 2014 13:57

The new font is called TERN, but it is not an improvement. Still, DIN1451 Austria is quite common...

I consider Austrian signage as the second worst signage system in the EU (the worst being the Italian signage system).
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

volan123
Donation rank:

18 Sep 2014 14:04

MandelSoft wrote:The new font is called TERN, but it is not an improvement. Still, DIN1451 Austria is quite common...

I consider Austrian signage as the second worst signage system in the EU (the worst being the Italian signage system).
I thought the Slovenian one was the worst (hate the green background on highway signs). In my opinion Austrian signage is 2nd best in EU ;)
Founder of Project Balkans (formerly known as Slovenia map project)

Our thread
My Youtube channel
Facebook page
For more info, please PM me!

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

18 Sep 2014 14:05

Vladzz-G wrote:I can add, that Lithuania, Russia and Ukraine (maybe also Belarus) uses GOST 10807-78 (soviet standart) and GOST R 52290-2004 (modern standart).
Here is the link for the font file, if you need: http://github.com/shoorick/russian-road-sign-font

P.S. Sorry for off-top.
Yeah, I tried that one. Unfortunately, this font doesn't work well on my PC and a lot of characters (even the basic ones) are scrambled. Quite sad, because I'm always looking for more sign fonts ;)
volan123 wrote:
MandelSoft wrote:The new font is called TERN, but it is not an improvement. Still, DIN1451 Austria is quite common...

I thought the Slovenian one was the worst (hate the green background on highway signs). In my opinion Austrian signage is 2nd best in EU ;)
Second best? It's one giant mess of sign elements spread all over crammed signs with teeny tiny route numbers. Changing font sizes doesn't make it any better. Does this look good to you?

Especially compared to my top 3 signage systems of Europe, a lot can be improved.

#1: Germany

#2: Denmark

NOTE: This is one of the lesser signs there. Usually it's a quite simple and straightforward system.

#3: The Netherlands, Old School

Best,
MandelSoft
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

ETS2-User
Developer

18 Sep 2014 14:24

Well I've always found my way :D
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

volan123
Donation rank:

18 Sep 2014 14:28

So what do you think about ours? I think it's one of the more horrible highway signs I've ever seen :O

Founder of Project Balkans (formerly known as Slovenia map project)

Our thread
My Youtube channel
Facebook page
For more info, please PM me!

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

18 Sep 2014 15:18

volan123 wrote:So what do you think about ours? I think it's one of the more horrible highway signs I've ever seen :O
They are not that bad. I actually think they are OK when executed well and they are still quite organised with everything properly aligned (I've seen this differently, see Italy, Austria and Belgium) and they are quite easy to overview. It's also not like the UK, where they stack everything on motorways into a horrible to read mess of single lines with all information in it. The green background colour is not much of a problem (heck, after blue it's my second choice for background colours for directional signage).

The main problem is that Slovenia tends to put too many destinations on their signs, like this:

A good man once said: "the Art of Signage is to leave things out (and keep the essence)." Denmark does this a bit too much, Slovenia and Austria (and in lesser regard, Belgium) does this too little.
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information