ProMods needs a legal entity [CLOSED: Negative]

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Vøytek
Developer

28 May 2018 15:44

So... You want to tell me, that if I look at this photo in Mapillary (or SV):
And recreate this sign using the Sign Editor:
It's not allowed?
You can't be serious right now or you just don't understand that we can't "directly" use any of those images and put them in game.
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

eray61
Donation rank:

28 May 2018 16:55

erkinalp wrote:
28 May 2018 15:36
Transformation is considered derivation in IP law and there is no formal "threshold of inspiration" defined, hence it is too risky. I contribute to OSM and they absolutely consider this kind of use significant.
Sorması ayıp da... (There is a saying in Turkey before asking a question, i said this in Turkish because i cannot react to this in another way) :D And what is your aim with this topic now? I don't get that from where you got such opinion and searched even licenses and talking about not checking website and getting idea to do it in some other things.

ScuL
Founder

28 May 2018 17:18

erkinalp wrote:
28 May 2018 15:36
Transformation is considered derivation in IP law and there is no formal "threshold of inspiration" defined, hence it is too risky. I contribute to OSM and they absolutely consider this kind of use significant.
It isn't when you create your own composition with your own materials.
Otherwise drawing a painting of the Eiffel Tower would be copyright infringement.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

28 May 2018 18:37

To be more accurate, when it comes to signage, the general layouts of areas, etc, the Mapillary doesn't hold the Copyright. They hold a License for that particular photograph, its composition and the backend that serves that photograph. Nothing more. The Copyright for the photograph actually remains with the original photographer, they just license it to Mapillary under CC-SA.

Also, our license is Proprietary. It is not related to any version of Creative Commons.
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

erkinalp

28 May 2018 20:27

Wording derived from Creative Commons (specifically, v1) with Creative Commons branding removed. That's why I said a Creative Commons-like license. Not in terms but in wording. It would be way better if it used no SCS assets at all and released under straight CC-BY-SA, though.

Mooner_37
Donation rank:

28 May 2018 20:47

Although license or not. I like the way and the results of the signs. They give me a beautiful impression of real life signs in the balkan countries
ETS2 / ATS

Current Headquarters: Liège, Berlin, L.A. Luxemburg, Seattle
Current Trucks: ETS2: 15 ATS: 2
Driving Truck: ETS2: DAF XF ATS: Peterbilt 579
Current Mileage: ETS2: 462,317 km (287,270.46 miles) - ATS: 329,972 km (205,035 miles)
Level: ETS2: 65 - ATS: 48

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

02 Jun 2018 04:41

While we may release tools or documents under shareable licenses, We won't be changing our license on the main pack.

End of discussion.
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

erkinalp

04 Jun 2018 20:46

ProMods need to be represented as a non-profit entity (preferably a British CIC, due to ease of copyright assignment and low threshold of copyright in the UK) made of mod authors to be able to share content with SCS both ways. Then, after both parties licensing their map and map assets under CC-BY-SA, a collaboration would be easy. A non-profit would also enable collaboration with modders of other games in a coherent manner.
For more info: https://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php ... 86#p920586
Professional Game Modifiers and Additional Content Creators Society the Community Interest Company (ProMods Society CIC in short) would be a non-profit for creating entertaining mods and add-ons for computer games.
Last edited by erkinalp on 04 Jun 2018 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

IvanGF14
Developer

04 Jun 2018 21:28

This is not a company, is a group of people who like to improve the game, therefore we dont need such thing

erkinalp

04 Jun 2018 21:30

A non-profit is better than a semi-formal organisation in volunteered content projects, it has many examples such as FSF. We know ProMods is a volunteer project and is not for profit, a non-profit would ease management and licensing, formalise the group under an entity. It would also enable copyright assignments and a formal collaboration with SCS. They cannot collaborate currently as there is too many to talk to as a copyright owner. With ProMods society and after relicense, it would be reusable and resellable royalty-free.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information