what hardware is needed to run PM2.26 maxed out and smooth

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
tomsun66
Donation rank:

20 Feb 2018 15:42

A question to our super modders.
First of all the question is a serious question, i like to run the combo of all DLCs, PM, RM, SR and all graphics maxed out in a Res of 2560*1080 (currently) but perhaps towards a tripple head solution, but still today there is a problem that e.g. in Barcelona fps drops to a really disturbing level (now found second town with same problem i think in parts of Zagreb there was a massive fps drop).

My questions are what combo of hardware do we need to run the combo ets2 ,all DLCs, PM, RM, SR, graphics all maxed out on tripple head (3* 1920*1080 or even 3* 4K).
And if the hardware is not to realize even for an ambitioned user, if it makes sense to follow the way like Barcelona and Zagreb, as other parts of PM are really great without massive FPS drops.

In times of bitcoin-mining unfortunately getting new Graphiccards become an illusion for me. but times will change.

So for example(even far beyond my possibilities) if a Threadripper 1950x (or an Intel Beast)with a SLI Nvidia 1080ti and 64 Gb of RAM and Highspeed Raid SSD Solution is not capable to run Graphics all maxed out on a tripple 4k Solution in Barcelona at reasonable FPS-Rate(i think Barcelona in worst place not below 50 fps), i think you have to rethink the way you handle the needed resource.

For all telling me how heavy fps they have in the menu of ets2 i have fps up to 400, in gaming (graphics ALL maxed out in 2560*1080) the rest of the map around 40 fps inside and 50 fps outside the truck, in towns regularly a drop around 10 fps but good drivable, but in Barcelona fps sometimes down to 9 nearly not playable Zagreb down to 16 fps playable but disturbing.

I remember the answer to question like this, that also the best computers of the NASA (as a synonym for far beyond of affordable for normal user) won't be capable to do this, if this comes near to reality you should remap some parts (e.g. Barcelona and Zagreb). Perhaps you should provide a list for us what combo brings what fps in Barcelona Graphics all maxed out in Full HD.

Best Regards
Tom
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, gigabyte 1080ti, 32 GB, 3440*1440 Resolution, Logitech G25

bmwGTR

20 Feb 2018 17:03

Hi,

in my opinion - even with the best hardware you will not get to run the game smoothly in maxed out settings.
The main problem is the old Direct-X 9 engine - modern graphic cards does not support them quite well.

SCS is changeing the engine to a new version, but this can just be done step by step.

Best regards,
bmwGTR
ETS2: ProMods + RusMap + The Great Steppe
ATS: ProMods + Grand Canyon + Reforma

ProMods Moderator since April 2018

Noah_Lukas

20 Feb 2018 17:08

In general it's not bad to have a well working graphics card with enough graphics storage ;)
Developer for Germany and France
Regional Coordinator for the Central Region

Trucker2223
Donation rank:

20 Feb 2018 17:47

Noah_Lukas wrote:
20 Feb 2018 17:08
In general it's not bad to have a well working graphics card with enough graphics storage ;)
This wont help that much becuase the game supports only 2 GB of VRAM at max.
No. 4 forum spammer

No Support via PM!!

ProMods Senior Beta Tester since 2.30
ProMods Moderator since 1. January 2019

Noah_Lukas

20 Feb 2018 22:55

Trucker2223 wrote:
20 Feb 2018 17:47
That's why I said it is not bad to have ;) :P
But generally you're right and it's a bit too bad that it were only 2GB :(
Developer for Germany and France
Regional Coordinator for the Central Region

tomsun66
Donation rank:

21 Feb 2018 22:13

My thoughts are going more in the direction, why are the fps e.g. in Barcelona crashing down to a not playable level (yes of course i can reduce the resolution to vga, and do all settings to minimum and i will get awesome fps, but that does not match with the quality of PM), in other Promods designed cities this does not happen, do we have there some assets crashing the fps, that can be replaced with nearly as good assets (Practise of "Good enough") so that the majority of us can even drive through Barcelona .

My feeling tells me that there were some hypermotivated modders wanting to show what they are able to do( and yes they showed us what they are able) , forgetting that no one on earth has the hardware and the game engine (still no DX11/12 or vulcan) to use this eye-candy (in no motion the scenery is really awfull) but perhaps 95% instead of 125% would do a better job for us with average up to middle high premium systems. If see the pyrenees they are aweful really close to reality (way from Toulouse to Andorra, i have been in that region for nearly two years and have been on that road nearly every second weekend).

Callipso
Donation rank:

24 Feb 2018 23:40

There are many posts on the forum already that give you an idea of why Barcelona is such an fps hog already. Many fixes and changes have been made to optimize that area since it was released and still its not the most friendly place to drive around on the map. Of course you could say that realdeal was hyper motivated when making that area, maybe he was which is not a bad thing really it shows he cares about what he creates. Barcelona is learning experience will no doubt make the rest of Catalonia and perhaps the map as a whole a better experience in the long run. Until its time to re-build the area we have to make do with whats there, the devs will likely continue to optimize what they can for Barcelona until then.

tomsun66
Donation rank:

25 Feb 2018 13:59

I wish that realdeal finds a good compromise between playability and eyecandy. In my driving through Barcelona and through Zagreb i found only something Areal with this massive drops, as i Do not have an Overkill rig irespect that i have a significant fps drop, but I assume that there a lot of Users with a much lower performance out there. And my question was pointing if that is perhaps with some assets killen the fps, or a general Barcelona Problem (what i don' assume). Unfortunately GPU prices will remain at a high Level.

Trucker2223
Donation rank:

25 Feb 2018 14:21

The biggest bottleneck is still DX9, when the game will have the DX11 engine in an future update, it will run much better even in detailed Citys like barcelona.
No. 4 forum spammer

No Support via PM!!

ProMods Senior Beta Tester since 2.30
ProMods Moderator since 1. January 2019

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

25 Feb 2018 14:24

Barcelona is not only a problem for you guys. The performance problems have been a real headache for the developers too! I've optimised it at least three times already with new knowledge we've gathered about optimisation over time. It does get better every time, but it still remains a poor performing city. We may look into it again in the future, but until then, it remains a notorious resource hog.

In any case, Barcelona was the city that made clear to us that we really have to spend attention to performance.

@Trucker2223: I wouldn't hold my breath for DirectX11. It's not the "Silver Bullet" solution that people claim it to be. It needs to run better with the systems we have no rather than systems that may or may not be implemented.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information