City lag

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Randleman

10 Sep 2017 02:54

Hello everyone,

I've been playing this game for about 2-3 years now. At first on my old, crappy computer and I used to always lag on there so I just dealt with it.
But now on this newer PC I built around a year ago, the game still feels very poorly optimized to me.
I have a fairly decent PC, definitely not the best, but I'd say good enough to run this game smoothly.

However, on busier points, like spaghetti highways and especially cities, the game lags. Alot.
Major cities like Copenhagen, Berlin, Moscow are undriveable for me due to the massive FPS drop.
It's not only the FPS drop that I am experiencing, but also the outer lines of like roadsigns, road markings are blurry and "dance" around.

I was hoping that by posting my PC specs and the current ETS2 settings that I use, maybe someone could give a few words of advice how to run this game more smoothly.

PC Specs:
Resolution: 1920x1080 (32 bit) (60 Hz)
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20 GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 16384 MB RAM
DirectX: DirectX 12

Game settings:
Resolution: 1920x1080
Refreshing: Standard
Vsync: Disabled
Scaling: 400%
MLAA: Disabled
HDR: Enabled
DOF: Enabled
Sunshine: Enabled
Color correction: Enabled
Reflection Detail: High
Vegetation Detail: Average
Grass density: Low
Shadow quality: High
Shadow Texture quality: high
Weather: High
Mirror: High
Mirror Resolution: High
Antisotropic Filtering: Enabled
Normal maps: Enabled
Headlights: Enabled
Secondary vehicle lights: Enabled
Light visibility: High
Pedestrians: Disabled

I really wonder what it is that I have to do to make this game run smoothly.
I run my other favorite games like World of Warcraft and F1 2017 at high settings without a single issue. Surely I must be able to run ETS2 smoothly as well?

PS: My current settings were recommended to me by GeForce Experience. That's why I went with them. Willing to change them of course in order to improve the game.
PPS: Sorry if some translations of the settings aren't correct. My game is not in English.
PPPS: Apologies if this thread is in the wrong section of the forum. Feel free to move it in case it is.

Thank you in advance.

ScuL
Founder

10 Sep 2017 08:06

First things first remove the scaling 400% setting. This generates almost 16000pixels in game.. set it to 100% or 200%
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Trucker2223
Donation rank:

10 Sep 2017 11:57

It's mostly because ETS2 is written in DX9 and newer graphics Card don't support DX9 to well. So you have to deal with it, until SCS decide to write the game in DX11 or 12.
I've a AMD R9 390 graphics Card and even on 200% Scale settings, it begins to lag in Citys, mostly in bigger ones.
No. 4 forum spammer

No Support via PM!!

ProMods Senior Beta Tester since 2.30
ProMods Moderator since 1. January 2019

Randleman

10 Sep 2017 12:14

So I just set the settings to 200% scaling. I am not sure yet if it solved my issue because I'm not really near a city just yet.

But the outlines of barriers, roadmarkings, etc are still incredibly blurry and almost like 'dance' and 'jump' around.
I checked GeForce Experience and it says that specific settings must be the Antisotropic(?) filtering.
I have that set to the absolute maximum in game, yet the lines are still like that.

How can I solve it? :(

Randleman

10 Sep 2017 12:46

I mean, setting it down to 200% scaling makes the blurryness of outlines even worse.

Look at the screenshot I just took, the barrier after the concrete barrier is just so blurry and in-game dances around.
The screenshot itself doesn't really show it, but in-game it's really distracting.

I just can't get this game to run smoothly even though I have a fairly decent PC.
I'm running out of ideas of what I can do about it.

Randleman

10 Sep 2017 15:35

I cannot get the Antialiasing to be correct.
I've tried a lot of things by now and it's still jagged, blurry, dancing outlines.

Any help would be really appreciated. I'm about to lose my mind over this.

JurianPaulussen
Donation rank:

10 Sep 2017 20:02

I can see it already, you have intel i5. As someone of Mediamarkt in Amsterdam Bijlmer has ever told me, i5 isn't a gamers CPU card. I've i7. Nvidia is even an older version than yours. If I were you, should unable some settings, and put them lower.

if you need any other questions just ask.
Mocht je nog vragen hebben, stel ze gerust.
Working at Röhlig Aircargo at Amsterdam Airport

Speaking Dutch, Afrikaans, German, English and Spanish

ghostofconvoy
Donation rank:

11 Sep 2017 07:36

I don't know what you mean by "dances around" but if the stuff is 'tearing' on your monitor, enable v sync

also you have depth of field enabled and that makes things that are 'far' away blurry on purpose.

as for fps drops its really just a matter of sacrificing some visual appeal. 400% scaling is probably the main thing killing your fps

Noah_Lukas

11 Sep 2017 19:13

I had one guy who killed his whole pc by useing 400% :lol: :lol: :lol: (and one other thing)
Developer for Germany and France
Regional Coordinator for the Central Region

Trucker2223
Donation rank:

11 Sep 2017 20:14

JurianPaulussen wrote:
10 Sep 2017 20:02
I can see it already, you have intel i5. As someone of Mediamarkt in Amsterdam Bijlmer has ever told me, i5 isn't a gamers CPU card. I've i7. Nvidia is even an older version than yours. If I were you, should unable some settings, and put them lower.

if you need any other questions just ask.
Mocht je nog vragen hebben, stel ze gerust.
Those people at media markt are most likely telling only bullshit. An i5 is plenty for gaming. Most games run only on 2 cores and i5 has 4 cores. i7 CPUs have hyperthreading, so they have additional virtual cores, but this only benefits from Multithreading tasks, not form games which mostly run on 2 cores.

The problem that the game runs poorly on newer machines is because of the old DX9 engine. So we have to wait until SCS decides to rewrite this game in DX11 or 12.
No. 4 forum spammer

No Support via PM!!

ProMods Senior Beta Tester since 2.30
ProMods Moderator since 1. January 2019

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information