Being a trucker in RL... less awe inspiring than ETS2

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
dfumagalli

05 Sep 2017 19:30

Hello,

this morning I had a talk with a guy I have met. He's driving trucks and busses since... ever.

So I took the opportunity to hammer him a bit about real life trucking, especially because I'd like to get a real truck driver license.

Well... let's say he's not been really optimistic.

If you work since less than 5 years: work 12-13h a day, for a measly 1000 euros monthly wage. This includes 13-14th monthly pay too.
If you drive a bus you can get to 1300 euros, but only because some customers leave a tip.

But - and this was directed at me - they exclusively allow in experienced drivers. You don't stand a chance being hired if you don't have 1-3 years of trucking practice. No, they don't care about your objections (that is: how am I meant to acquire experience if I don't get hired?). There are zillions of half unemployed experienced truckers for them to care about you.

He says there are 3 times as many truck drivers compared to those really needed, therefore even top trucking companies treat them like garbage.

I asked him, what about if I open my own trucking operation? And he said me there is an incredibly strong cartel, they just won't let your new company take any good job.

I am talking about Italy and a region of Spain here, even if he said Italy is somewhat friendlier to newcomers (but wage is still massively crap while life costs more).

Izargon

07 Sep 2017 04:20

Yeah, for about 5 years I listened to a channel on XM satilite radio [sirius/XM now] that was exclusively trucking... This is North America, so a bit different but yeah. drivers would complain about regulations, or how one state completely was different from another state...

Some states like Michigan require axles to be lowered on a heavy haul load while other states do not... And like the Triples and doubles thing with ATS now, some states accept triples, but most states tend not to.

You also have changing rules of operation due to safety concerns... Truck parking concerns... Oh and most drivers get paid by the mile.. Tho some companies will offer an hourly wage on top of that, but thats rare here. There are lots of trucking companies who will hire newer drivers and train them a bit.. Swift, Walmart to name a few. But starting out it is good to work with a company for at least 2 years or so before going to a so called "higher tier" sort of firm. Please note that I'm saying this based on more infrequent listenings of that channel and mostly memory.

This is for the States mainly, but should somewhat apply worldwide... I once considered getting into trucking myself, but idealy one needs a particular sort of personality for in general, being on the road for a week or more at a time. So yes, I agree that ATS and ETS2 is extremely simplified... Compared to the hard knocks of reality.

Andy_GTI
Donation rank:

07 Sep 2017 07:59

I think this is sadly the case across Europe. Having said that, I'm a professional driver in real life and enjoy the job and lifestyle. Granted I work for one of the 'better' companies out there with very good pay and working conditions. I'm sure there are good companies in Italy/Spain, its just finding them. Like you say, a lack of experience puts a lot of employers off. So its a case of 'starting at the bottom' with a rubbish company for a year or two to gain experience. Then start looking elsewhere.

KiwiHaggis
Donation rank:

10 Sep 2017 15:14

I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else, especially when I look back at some of the trucks I've driven and places I've been. As Izargon said above, it's definitely not for everyone, especially if you're spending a long time away from home, living out of your sleeper cab or motel rooms. However, you learn to make the most of it if you're dedicated, I like to think of it as being paid to travel, and while I'm now on a set intercity run where I return home every night I still get to see some pretty spectacular sights, being in the south island of New Zealand.

The best way to go about it is to start from the bottom, I started off driving a courier van before progressing onto small 4 wheeler trucks (a pair of dual wheels is considered one wheel this side of the world), then 6 and 8 wheelers, before eventually obtaining my trailer license where I mastered semis, B-trains and dolly trailers. I wouldn't let this guys negativity get to you, there has to be someone out there considered a good employer. The experience thing isn't just limited to your region, unfortunately its a worldwide issue but not enough employers are willing to train young blood. The key is to be persistent and find someone who will, prepare to start from the bottom and work hard. As for the money, I earn a damn good wage here and don't do a ridiculous amount of hours, generally 50-60 a week, I have excellent gear and the work is very easy, however it's taken me a long time to get to where I am and i've learned a lot along the way. Your experiences won't always be positive, but isn't that like every other job?

If it's what you want to do, stick at it :) Ask more professional drivers in your region about their experiences and how they feel about their career, and even consider looking further afield for work. Trucking is more a lifestyle than a job and you'll either cut it, or you'll sink and realise it's not for you. I didn't think I'd progress particularly far but I quickly became interested in trying bigger and better things and got to where I am today, it's taken me 8 years but its been well worth it, here's what I drive currently, and the truck I drove for my previous employer, bearing in mind I started my driving career in a little Toyota Hiace van ;)

Not a bad gig, being responsible for half a million dollars worth of equipment every day :) Again, if its what you want to do mate, go for it!

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information