Roadnames

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
realdeal350
Developer

03 Sep 2017 13:18

In Australia we pretty much never say the road numbers. When we speak we would say something like "Princes Freeway" instead of "M1".
Spain developer
Canada developer
Regional Co-ordinator for the Roman region

Languages: English, italiano

martinusK

03 Sep 2017 20:38

I believe this might rather be based on how often they are noted on signage. In Estonia, the E-roads are marked on absolutely every sign alongside national ones. It's probably common practice everywhere among the peasants to not use the numbers, but rather something like "Tartu maantee".
ProMods developer for Estonia Image
Currently working on another bit of Estonia, you'll see it in the Euromir thread soon enough

Callipso
Donation rank:

04 Sep 2017 21:04

Its a good thing that in the US things are standardized. Interstates are prefixed with I and then either given an even number, indicating they will be going East to West, an odd number, North to South, or triple digits, indicating a city loop or expressway. US numbered highways are prefixed with US and a given a number in similar fashion as the Interstate federal highways. State highways follow the same system as well. I've seen in recent years, especially after 2000 that most of the major highways are also given special names. I-17 for example that runs from Flagstaff to Phoenix is known as the Arizona Veterans Highway, except in the Phoenix Metro area where it takes the name Black Canyon Freeway and Maricopa Freeway. I-10 goes by Pearl Harbor Memorial Highway, except in Phoenix it goes by Papago Freeway and Maricopa Freeway. These other names I almost never hear used as its easier to remember something like I-10 and most signage will be showing the Interstate number and not those long winded names.

LionFangX

04 Sep 2017 21:18

In Latvia it's no different than Estonia really. We always use the E-XX if it's an "E" Road. Otherwise we use "P" for regional and "A" for highways.
I'm Image, living in Image.
Promods 2.51 + Rusmap 2.3.1 + Southern Region 9.0.0 + The Great Steppe 2.0 + Poland Rebuilding 2.44 + Volgamap 1.2 + Most Rebuilds

Level 112/500'000+ KM's/1400+ hours

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

04 Sep 2017 21:42

Callipso wrote:
04 Sep 2017 21:04
Its a good thing that in the US things are standardized. (...)
It may be less standardised than you think. Some states (i.e. North-Carolina) allow route numbers to cluster on the same road regulary, while other states seem to be more strict about this. The first policy leads to "bingo charts" on more than one occasion, like this sign.

The same effect is actually present in Europe when it comes to how certain countries handle the route numbers. Some countries display the E-routes prominently, while others shove them away in favour of the national route numbering system and to declutter information. It's not that different after all...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

mads1153
Donation rank:

04 Sep 2017 22:16

In Norway we often call E road number without space between E and numbers like in Google Maps.
Road signs often has a space between E and numbers if it was less than 100. Some road signs may have also for higher than 100.
Regional road and "Riksvei" as highway is not correctly called has just numbers and colour difference only.
You will see some of this in Promods 2.20 when you are on road to Trondheim from that I have following Squirrel streams.
This mod is so awesome :D

Using Promods Europe 2.68 and ProMods Canada 1.2.5a
ETS2: Level 118 and played 5227,8 hours
ATS: Level 46 and played 796,3 hours

ProMods Senior Beta Tester since 28 September 2018
ProMods Moderator since 6 January 2022

Tanksome
Donation rank:

05 Sep 2017 03:11

MandelSoft wrote:
04 Sep 2017 21:42
It may be less standardised than you think.
I know that in some states that they had renumber there HWY system ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Loui ... enumbering ) however some states never updated there numbers since inception (i.e. late 1910s-early 1920s) and put state highways onto US and Interstate HWYS ( https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... 0ndsh0EHM: )
In Lafayette, instead of saying the proper route name, we call some road by what they are normally names (LA 339 is called Verot School Rd) and other names (US 90 being called HWY 90)

TheTimephoon

05 Sep 2017 20:28

In Belgium we only have a couple highways which aren't E.
National roads are named with an N but we never say that. We always use the roads 'real name' like "Turnhoutsebaan" or something like that.
Hello :)

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/zigot

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information