SA-MP trucking maps (map editor/info/projects)

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Maj2235

07 Aug 2016 00:56

introduction

Hello :)
Few years ago, when there was no ETS2, and not even mentioning ETS2 Multiplayer, the only way to go trucking with your friends was GTA San Andreas Multiplayer or Multi Theft Auto. There were roleplay servers where you simply go to job to earn money with which you could have bough a car and/or other stuff, meet with other players and more. Trucking servers were one of the most popular in community. You grab the truck, meet with your friends at depot and go trucking together. Me and my friend HighFlyer were working on our "transportation" server, which was not just about trucking (you could hop into airplane any time you want and travel to many airports, not just default ones in San Fierro, Los Santos and Las Venturas).

San Andreas map wasn't big enough to make long highway cruises, so beside improving standard highways another possibility was to build new roads "on the water".

how does map editor work?

Well, it is very simple. Unlike ETS2, in MTA map editor there is no automation - every object must be manually placed. I must admit that it is very time consuming.
Every placed object creates in map file new line with its coordinates and rotations. Then finished map is converted to specific object streamer which displays map to players on the server.

limitations

First of all, many objects at one place could cause performance issues, such as slow rendering of objects while driving fast. Secondly, inserting custom objects and even textures for extising models into map editor was very problematic and time consuming (not just for developer, but for players as well, because in that case they had to download special models file and put it to multiplayer client). So, it was best to just use standard models which were already in game. That caused another problem - building custom intersections was very hard (I'll explain later :D ).

signs

As I mentioned earlier, adding custom objects and textures was problematic, implementing signage system was problematic. We were creating signs with adding simple text over the model, but that was far from realistic. Another solution was to just re-texture existing models, and let people download them as an option. However, I never made it to that point, and screenshot above is just a teaser (Dutch Isles was one of my side projects).

development

Project was shutdown long time ago due to problems with finding someone who could develop script for server. Most of my maps were lost when my hard disk failed.

projects

Below is list of all my projects:
1) A10(M) Finished version V2.0 - My primary project. Because i wasn't the only mapper, I could develop only on north side of default map (my friend was mapping on south side). A10(M) was designed as a speedway and was going northbound towards M4. When it reaches M4 (which goes eastbound and westbound), my plan was to continue it as A10 untill it reaches airport. A10(M) was finished (screens below) untill A10(M)/M4 junction (not finished). It was beginning under San Fierro Bridge and Bayside. Mainly hilly highway, it has 4 cities/villages nearby, two truck stops and few tunnels though mountains. Road layout was inspired by polish road DK1, scenery by Austria and Croatia.

2) M4 Finished version V1.0 (lost) - My first ever project. It was starting at A10(M)/M4 junction on north part of San Andreas and was going eastbound. My plan was to completelly encircle whole map, untill it reaches Project Gibraltar. It was very long, however very boring due to lacks in scenery, very flat. Version V2.0 was same idea, but completelly remaked. I never started the development of V2.0 (just A10(M)/M4 junction, but never finished even junction, screen below). Version V1.0 was inspired mainly by polish motorway A4, but It had many Dutch accents.

3) Project Gibraltar Finished version V1.0 (lost) - Version V1.0 contained motorway from mainland to Gibraltar, airport with motorway in the middle of runway and that big mountain next to it. In version V2.0 I was planning to finish the city centre and improve airport and approach a little bit. Never started V2.0 because it was scheluded after M4 V2.0.

4) Project Sint Maarten Finished version V2.0 (lost) - That project had airport with realistic taxiways layout, terminal, Maho Beach, Hotel next to approach, that big mountain behind the airport and a city on top of it.

5) Project Ibiza In development version V1.0 - Started it at the same time as A10(M)/M4 V2.0 and was working on it when I was bored with building just highways. It has right now just airport with realistic taxiways layout and custom runway. If I ever decide to finish it (which I guess probably won't ever happen) It will contain: Airport Ibiza - Eivissa, town of Eivissa, San Antonio, motorway connecting both cities, 2 villages and Club Privilege :D (Test Drive Unlimited 2 fan here).

6) Some small airports on mainland of San Andreas - We had a lot of small airports with challenging approaches on the mainland beside the three big ones that already existed in game. Most of them were done by my friend HighFlyer, but I had also made few. I bet they aren't lost, just need to startup the server and visit them.

Why so many projects are lost? My disk once failed and I wasn't able to recover my map files, that's why. No backup since I had just one hard drive (no external HDD) back then.

what next?

Well, San Andreas Multiplayer is quite old platform, and now we got ETS2/ATS Multiplayer, so there is no more sense developing maps for MTA/SAMP. I think I might give ETS2 map editor a try (already working on it :D ).

screenshots

That's probably what you came for :D
Right now I just have screens from A10(M), one day maybe I'll post Ibiza Airport.

More screens here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ngxpilot/ ... 0992953080

Happy trucking! :)
Maj2235
My PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P85-D3 GPU: MSI GeForce GTX660 TwinFrozr IV RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4gb DDR3 1600Mhz PSU: OCZ Stealth XStream 500W driving wheel: Logitech Driving Force GT

steam profile

BarrGDA
Donation rank:

07 Aug 2016 01:10

I was the leader of that project, and I still remember the days when I got mapping too, and we had this great idea of a large community of truckers in mind! Lack of time unfortunately killed the project, along with the ambition, as we both ventured on into different stages of life and career. It is however nice to sit back, and see how other people do similar work you once did. I've learnt to appreciate the hard work developers put into ProMods as a result of this experience, but I will be always the first one to provide constructive criticism, as some devs probably have learnt, and have enough of my cheek :lol:

I have to admit that if it wasn't for my trucking passion in SA-MP, I wouldn't have discovered ETS2, and in result I wouldn't discover ProMods, as it geared up for a release of their Scandinavia Mod (I remember ProMods before it became what it is today; used to be just a page on Facebook, promoting new models for a Scandinavia Mod).

Maybe you will all discover this project if we have enough time with Maj to get it going again!

Nevertheless, well done Maj :D

Dannu
Donation rank:

07 Aug 2016 10:45

I remember when i started with this too :)
Ex-ProMods Beta Tester from 1.90 to 2.64

ElDeks

07 Aug 2016 12:01

you can't create a server with this mapping?

Maj2235

07 Aug 2016 16:35

We had running server in "alpha stage" with all these maps, but It wasn't good enough from scripting side. Beside maps server requires to script some systems, such as: job system, housing system, car system (so you can buy your own truck/car with money you earned from jobs), and more. Base script was written by our friend but he left the project because of personal reasons and we couldn't find new scripter.
My PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P85-D3 GPU: MSI GeForce GTX660 TwinFrozr IV RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4gb DDR3 1600Mhz PSU: OCZ Stealth XStream 500W driving wheel: Logitech Driving Force GT

steam profile

ETS2-User
Developer

07 Aug 2016 17:56

Keep in mind that ETS2 and ATS MPs don't work with custom maps.
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

BarrGDA
Donation rank:

07 Aug 2016 19:13

ETS2-User wrote:Keep in mind that ETS2 and ATS MPs don't work with custom maps.
I don't think he was trying to say he wants to port them over, if you read it carefully.

Maj2235

07 Aug 2016 21:42

ETS2-User wrote:Keep in mind that ETS2 and ATS MPs don't work with custom maps.
No worries :) I am following trucking community since ETS1 and GTS. I knew that already when ETS2 MP came out. I just wanted to say, that I was always interested in mapping, and now I want to move on and try something new.
My PC Specs:

steam profile

martinusK

08 Aug 2016 10:43

Damn, your work looks even better than the Truckmania servers.
It's nice to hear that i am not the only one to discover the joy of trucking via SAMP :P
ProMods developer for Estonia Image
Currently working on another bit of Estonia, you'll see it in the Euromir thread soon enough

IvanGF14
Developer

11 Aug 2016 03:32

Reminds me of my times of mapping in SA. That's a nice work ;)

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information