A more detailed plan for Spain

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
jontsuba
Donation rank:

08 Oct 2014 14:41

As Kutchek's France keeps going south, the idea of starting Spain becomes more real. And still, ProMods' published plans look like little more than a rough sketch to me. And Lolsmurf, the leader of the project seems to have (saddly) abandoned the team (at least for the time being).

And so, I've decided to help a little bit by making a map of those cities that should be included (in my humble opinion) in order to create a map equal in quality to others like France or Denmark. I've done with these premises and "rules":

1. Spain has an area of 505,370 km2. Compare it to France's 643,427 km2 and Germany's 357,022 km2
2. A population of 47M (France - 65M; Germany - 81M)
3. Distances between cities should be at least over 100 km, but exceptions could be made in important areas (Basque Country, Catalonia -this area would require further research-)
4. I've used these economic maps as base: 5. I've primarily considered cities over 100,000. But many areas are low densely populated and so, smaller economically important locations could be added either as cities or sceneries. Also, important economic hubs albeit low populated (La Carolina) were added.
6. First tier and second tier places are in red. Third tier (due to distance to other hubs or low important), in blue.
7. Roads aren't planned. That would require more planning and a balance between highways and conventional roads.

And so, here's the idea: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... EFOwzv7WgY It's just that, an idea. I don't have a clue on modding and I'm afraid I won't ever be able to to do it. But I still want to help.
Last edited by jontsuba on 18 Dec 2014 17:47, edited 2 times in total.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

08 Oct 2014 15:02

WOW! I would certainly be very, very happy if someone could make Spain with the number of cities you've got in the map-view!
:arrow: But will they all fit? Due to the map-scale (1:19)?
Personally, I think that many cities would be possible, they are not that close together. -at least, not in the map-view- But ey, I'm no mapper nor am I in the developers-team, so I can't decide shit around here :P
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

jontsuba
Donation rank:

08 Oct 2014 15:09

Volleybal4life wrote: :arrow: But will they all fit? Due to the map-scale (1:19)?
Personally, I think that many cities would be possible, they are not that close together. -at least, not in the map-view- But ey, I'm no mapper nor am I in the developers-team, so I can't decide shit around here :P
Well, as you I'm not a modder so my word doesn't deserve a shit, but think about it this way: Spain is 5/6 of France and it should be made from scratch and to ProMods standards... This might be awesome.

rarespetrosanu

08 Oct 2014 16:00

WOW, that's a huge list but i don't think all cities will be implemented by any modder ;)

jontsuba
Donation rank:

08 Oct 2014 16:12

rarespetrosanu wrote:WOW, that's a huge list but i don't think all cities will be implemented by any modder ;)
Of course it is a huge list. Spain is the 4th biggest in Europe (only after european Russia, Ukraine and France) and the 7th most populated (after Russia, Germany, Turkey, France, UK and Italy) If Spain were to be made on ProMods standards (look at France or Denmark), it would take a whole lot of time and work. Look at France, it's expected to have at least 36 cities and that doesn't take into account all the scenery cities made by Kutchek. Italy is half the area of France and will have around 30 cities.

Whoever thinks on starting Spain for ProMods should expect a huge amount of work

rarespetrosanu

08 Oct 2014 16:23

Maybe SCS will try to make the third DLC Going South with Spain , Portugal , Italy and the rest of France
I think that it will take 2 years to see those areas covered :D
After the release of DLC Scandinavia i want to hear from SCS that this DLC will be the last expansion :) - 2016 end of the project ETS2 and preparing for ETS3

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

08 Oct 2014 17:05

Why the hell would SCS ever make an ETS3?!

ETS2 has more than enough to run on for years yet, and it will always be improving. Nobody is going to completely abandon the whole concept and start all over again.

They wouldn't even be making new DLC and adding so many new features if they thought the game had no future mileage...

Also, I think this map plan looks great! You've added a few popular cities that were missing from the ProMods plan. However it remains to be seen who, if anyone, will take on this fearsome task ;).

Superdavecan

08 Oct 2014 17:46

It looks great Jontsuba! :D I fully support the idea. The map seems quite reasonable, especially when you consider how big Spain really is.

I wouldn't build any of the 3rd tier cities though... 39 cities is already quite massive, and it's cities that take the longest to build. Even the 39 may need to be reduced... but I like what you have as a concept. :)

One change I would make personally though... in the far south, I would skip Algeciras and instead make the small British territory of Gibraltar. I suppose I'm biased because I'm British ;) but honestly I'm a great supporter of building the small countries. I was quite happy that ProMods made Liechtenstein... and in the Italian plan I recommended that they not build Rimini and instead build the small country of San Marino. I also would like to see Andorra included somehow... and even in France I would be happy to see Monaco built.

And then... I wonder if anyone's thought of a plan for Portugal? It might as well go hand-in-hand with Spain, since you can only access Portugal from Spain :)

SkGe
Donation rank:

08 Oct 2014 17:52

Here is a representation of your city in the size of ETS map. 39 city in your plan is far from possible with the size of map, consider that a city can take a few good pixels on the map, and if you zoomed the max in the map you will see what i say, don't count junction of roads is the same issue like city, take a lot of pixels on there, plus count the scenery/mountains and other element what build the map.
From a perspective of what i think it will be at least possible is the orange spot can be a candidate of a city location and the other things are roads.
So here a shoot of what i talk. Consider this just a rough plan of what can be added on the map of ProMods.
http://i.imgur.com/hw5cX8I.jpg?1

jontsuba
Donation rank:

08 Oct 2014 18:23

I don't see why it would be an unreasonable plan. Distances between are at least of 100 km, similar to the work in France. And sure, some of the first-tier cities might be demoted to scenery-cities. Third-tier cities are expected either as filler cities for later stages (some are important ones too close to other ones) or as sceneries. Algeciras is one of the most important ports in Europe, and as such shouldn't be ignored.

As an example, Santander is 100 km away from Bilbao and 200 from Gijon. It's got a population of around 200,000 and a ferry to England. Why should it be ignored. Logroño is 100 k away from Pamplona, 130 from Bilbao and Burgos and 170 from Zaragoza, population: 200,000. And so on. I repeat: Spain is humongous, similar to France (and France is just half done) and 50% bigger than Germany (which is done and under rebuild, with cities as close as Koln, Duisburg and Dusseldorf)

Anyway, it would be preferable to hear the opinion of the modders. If done nice and with time, I think it is a reasonable plan.

Even though this plan was made basically on economic grounds, here is a list of urban areas in Spain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_me ... s_in_Spain
According to it there are over 30 urban areas greater than 200,000.
Last edited by jontsuba on 08 Oct 2014 18:49, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information