What to do with navigation signs pointing to closed roads?

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.

What to do with navigation signs pointing to closed roads?

XXXX (SCS default)
11%
Real life towns/cities (even if they'll not be made in ProMods)
84%
Nothing (leave signs empty)
4%

Total votes: 122
jontsuba
Donation rank:

21 Jan 2015 20:50

Disclaimer: Hope there isn't any rule saying you can't get back to life an old topic, moreover if is has a poll.

I've been driving though France after a long time when I realised something that raised my eyebrow: direction signs don't look realistic. I mean, they are made with the SCS rule of pointing only to places included in the map. That way, you'll see in Rouen direction signs pointing to Brussels (in real life Amiens, Calais and others are pointed) or signs stating Bilbao in Bordeaux (IRL: Hendaye, St Sebastien...)

This poll was made thinking about closed roads but we also talked about existing roads and seemed that the consensus was refering to real life places. I even like seeing local directions, such as those in London. Unfortunately, there wasn't any poll about that so I don't know if anything was established (seems like ARP is using real life references)

So, will signs be made as in real life? If so, would you (eventually, at long-term) adapt the existing map to that "rule"(something like Sign Rebuilding Project, SRP)?

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

21 Jan 2015 21:09

Well, this differs from location to location. I think Kutchek still prefers to sign only cities that are actually in-game instead of ones that do not exist in the game. However, on most other parts of the map, more and more non-existant destinations appear. The new sign system made it quite convinient to implement these things in Germany.

We may want to revise the situation in France...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

jontsuba
Donation rank:

21 Jan 2015 21:15

Anyway, do authors have liberty when mapping or do they have to stick to the rules ProMods keeps coming to?

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

21 Jan 2015 21:38

We do give our mappers some artistic freedom. We do set some minimum requirements and norms.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Aussie Trucker

21 Jan 2015 23:43

I don't have a problem with the names being there, I don't know most of them anyway so whether they lead to a town or lead nowhere it makes no difference to the overall game play for me. I suspect if there was an Aussie version where I recognised the place names I might think differently but that aint gonna happen anytime soon. What I do like about the roads to nowhere is the way ETS and ProMods etc has tried to prove the world really is flat by ending some of the roads and having us drive straight of the edge of the world. :)

thekovacs
Donation rank:

26 Jan 2015 01:45

Sorry, bit late on this one :lol:

Another vote for the place names. It does add a sense of locality to these stretches of road between cities which don't really have any identity. At least, even if you don't necessarily recognise the name of the city, it still gives a 'local feeling' and a sense that you are driving through a province which is separate from the established cities on the map. Plus, if you are familiar with the road in real life, it adds to the immersion to be able to see the real place names on the signs.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information