New User: First hour experience [rant?!]

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
b1n4ry

18 Apr 2019 04:34

Hello Promod Team!

Well, i have some critique about your website and policy. This may seem like a rant, and it totally is, however, i will still try to explain my points and hope you will understand.
Also this will be quite long, but i have the time now, thanks to your download policy, which i will come to talk about too. (guess its only half my fault for all that :D )

First of all, i see three ways, people can find your mod:
1. Youtube/Twitch
2. Recommendations from friends/clan-members etc.
3. Random references in other mods/blog/forum posts

For me, i found you by the last two points. But for the sake of argument, i will explain from a view of someone who found you "randomly".

I searched "promod for ets2" in google and came here. Positive: very nice looking and clean web presentation.
I couldn't find a "Downloads" button and knew: okay i probably will need too register. (Understandable for me, but some ppl might drop out here because they are more concerned about their data)
After Registration i began too think: What am i about to download, is this worth the hustle?
This is a big problem on this website: You try to sell a product to a costumer (yes you do by charging money, which i can totally understand and respect, but the way you do it is problematic from my point as: "random user")
There is no easy accessible thread on this forum explaining to me what your mod does and giving me a motivation to download your mod manually (without the ease of use from the Steam Workshop) and also to pay money for it. So i basically have to buy the cat in the box, without spending either 30-60 min additional researching or even more to get a free download where we come to the next problem:
I am a chrome user, after the first download i get smacked on the head by i quite disrespectful message "dayum girl" (you are trying to sell a product, although i haven't payed yet, but you probably lost someone who might would have)
Most new people probably dropped at this point.
I activated my VPN and got to download the other parts anyway, but its quite anoying. (why make it harder for someone to play your mod?)
Also, where is your donate button? Or Patreon?
I don't complain about you wanting something back for your hard work, i totally understand that. But this is not how it works.
You need an easy access to your product with as little hindrance as possible and a good explanation why your mod is fucking awesome and how many hours you have put into it.
Then when people play it and see: god dam this is nice, some even come back and want to pay you back with 50 bucks via paypal or patreon or what not.
Maybe some will even pay to get a patch a week early (e.g. CEMU emulator has a policy i think is totally fine)

inb4:
- We don't have the resources to give unlimited download: Well, with an easier access to your mod, more people can play it and more can give you something in return -> you can get the resources
also, other modding sites can manage too -> subsim, rallysim, racedepartment.
- We don't want to sellout with donate and patreon: Where is that a sellout? You have put allot of work into that mod, to give people an opportunity to give something back is no sellout, especially when you give an easy access and fast download.
- You are just a rare case/ Why you use Chrome?!/ "We can't handle critique": Yeah that's fine, if you only focus on your already established user group you surely will make progress.

Well that is my 3 cents, i am open for a discussion if that is necesary.

best regrads

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

18 Apr 2019 06:01

Information about the content of the mod can be found here: compat.php
If you take a bit of time, there's much information in the development topics too.
Which is little effort IMO.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Shiva

18 Apr 2019 08:35

Hmm.
It would be good if a version of the Compatibility page would be viewable, for those that are not logged in, nor do have an account yet.
And yeah, a short presentation of what ProMods is, could be good too.
For example "What is ProMods" NOTE! This link does NOT work.
But maybe in the future, that page could be something that exists.

And about the downloads, this mod is 1,65Gig big.
So I do see the paid download option as a way, to lessen the traffic on the free download option.
Maybe it could be added on the download pages a text that says that download accelerators prohibited.
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

Nissantruck

18 Apr 2019 10:44

I would like to say this:Many websites require people to log in to the websites,before you can do nothing there.
I do understand,that it can be annoying especially,if you dont remember the passwords or your computer doesnt remember your passwords automatically.

Sometimes people need to do more to get what they like to have,but that is life.It is not fun all the time,but people can still manage to get what they need in life,if they actually work for it or if they have means of doing things in life.
Like for example the Pm map mod.

You only need to register as a user in here and then you can download the latest map mod from the website.
It is not really difficult to do that and if you or anybody else has any kinds of problems here,then you can ask for help and the kind people of this website can help you out,they have helped me many times and i respect them for that.

I guess,that you could call this my rant,but i only wanted to say,that in a kind way.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ_5lE ... IZu7IkSXYw
Senior Beta-Tester and translator for the Finnish language and
the Local language Moderator for the Finnish language in Discord.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

18 Apr 2019 11:01

Shiva wrote:
18 Apr 2019 08:35
Hmm.
It would be good if a version of the Compatibility page would be viewable, for those that are not logged in, nor do have an account yet.
On the blog, many information like that is visible for users who aren't logged in onto ProMods.net. https://blog.promods.net/download/map/
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

EdgeGladiator

18 Apr 2019 11:27

b1n4ry wrote:
There is no easy accessible thread on this forum explaining to me what your mod does and giving me a motivation to download your mod manually (without the ease of use from the Steam Workshop) and also to pay money for it. So i basically have to buy the cat in the box, without spending either 30-60 min additional researching or even more to get a free download where we come to the next problem:
There is the development subject, it's easy to search...
b1n4ry wrote:
I don't complain about you wanting something back for your hard work, i totally understand that. But this is not how it works.
You need an easy access to your product with as little hindrance as possible and a good explanation why your mod is fucking awesome and how many hours you have put into it.
Then when people play it and see: god dam this is nice, some even come back and want to pay you back with 50 bucks via paypal or patreon or what not.
Maybe some will even pay to get a patch a week early (e.g. CEMU emulator has a policy i think is totally fine)
The donate botton is just at the bottom of the main page, search it's simple.
And remember that ProMods is only a map, not a business for sale. Everything is well indicated, you just have to look.
Senior Beta-Tester since 2.30
Translator for French and Spanish languages
Developper of Mediterranean Map, Maghreb Map and Real European Gas Stations Reloaded.

Shiva

18 Apr 2019 11:39

Volleybal4life, that blog posts content, a bit modified, would be nice to have on the non functional link I posted.
Maybe between "Blog" and "Help"
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

Vøytek
Developer

18 Apr 2019 12:04

I'll only refer to these parts, which make no sense for me:
b1n4ry wrote:
This is a big problem on this website: You try to sell a product to a costumer (yes you do by charging money, which i can totally understand and respect, but the way you do it is problematic from my point as: "random user")
We're not selling anything, it's a free map.
b1n4ry wrote:
giving me a motivation to download your mod manually (without the ease of use from the Steam Workshop) and also to pay money for it. So i basically have to buy the cat in the box, without spending either 30-60 min additional researching or even more to get a free download
Map mods aren't allowed in Steam Workshop.
Why "spending either 30-60 min additional researching or even more to get a free download"?
You register, notice the Download button you were looking for before registering, click it and in 1 minute you're on the page with free download links.
(I assume generating the def file for first time may take a moment, that's where that 1 minute comes from)

I can agree there's no good "overview" description, but if you typed "promod for ets2", then you heard about us somewhere else before - that means you could've watched some YT videos for example. It's the best way to learn about our map - seeing somebody else driving on our map. Text description or screenshots won't tell you everything ;)
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Omicron
Developer

18 Apr 2019 18:21

Most people who visit the website will know what the mod is/is about, I find it strange that someone could visit a website without knowing what it is. And I also find it strange that people would give up before they even get to the download file (that's if they even do give up). But anyway, there are some points which I have never thought of before, which would be nice to see:
  • ProMods is a very well laid out website, however, it must be said I am well used to the ins and outs of it at this stage. However, the website may be confusing for some new users. Like Shiva said, I think a "landing page" of sorts outlining what ProMods is should be the first thing someone sees when they click on promods.net, rather than taking you to the forum straight away. On it, maybe talk about its high quality mapping, a big team working on the map and the forum, how many downloads there have been to date (if that's possible), while also including links for download, compatibility, the blog, the forum and so on (maybe also mention that you must be registered so that you can download the mod).
  • For the downloads section, while all the information is there, it's all a bit jumbled up in my opinion. There are different fonts sizes and colours, and pieces of information are in different places. Maybe display the information of each method in a table first before listing the links.
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

ScuL
Founder

23 Apr 2019 07:49

b1n4ry wrote:
I searched "promod for ets2" in google and came here. Positive: very nice looking and clean web presentation.
I couldn't find a "Downloads" button and knew: okay i probably will need too register. (Understandable for me, but some ppl might drop out here because they are more concerned about their data)
After Registration i began too think: What am i about to download, is this worth the hustle?
The downloads page is registration-only to prevent people from hijacking or copying the files easily. It's basically an extra barrier but it also provides a welcome means to communicate with our users as every single person that has ever used ProMods is in our database. This way we can always announce new versions and other important information to all users.
b1n4ry wrote:
As stated before - we actually do not sell a product. We offer a free download (which is slightly more convoluted) or an expedited download which is paid for.
I will say more about the "What am I about to download" part later.
b1n4ry wrote:
There is no easy accessible thread on this forum explaining to me what your mod does and giving me a motivation to download your mod manually (without the ease of use from the Steam Workshop) and also to pay money for it. So i basically have to buy the cat in the box, without spending either 30-60 min additional researching or even more to get a free download
As said, the Steam Workshop does not allow us to upload ProMods because of limitations.
b1n4ry wrote:
where we come to the next problem: I am a chrome user, after the first download i get smacked on the head by i quite disrespectful message "dayum girl" (you are trying to sell a product, although i haven't payed yet, but you probably lost someone who might would have)
Most new people probably dropped at this point.
Chrome in itself is not a problem. You get temporary warnings or bans only when you are trying to open more than 2 simultaneous threads at the same time.
b1n4ry wrote:
I activated my VPN and got to download the other parts anyway, but its quite anoying. (why make it harder for someone to play your mod?)
There is no reason to use a VPN to obtain the mod, in fact it could cause trouble because you are duplicating an IP address.
b1n4ry wrote:
At the bottom of the main page.
b1n4ry wrote:
We appreciate the feedback and support the requirement for a "What is ProMods" type page but our brand is so familiar within the ETS community that we basically do not need to advertise ourselves.
I'd say that up to 98% of users visiting this website know exactly what they are coming here for.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information