Research and concept for Iceland

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Purno
Donation rank:

03 May 2014 07:46

http://www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 170#p15439
MandelSoft wrote:
Purno wrote: Out of curiousity, are there any very, very, very long term plans for Iceland? I'm not sure how much cargo goes by truck IRL there, but it is a part of Europe. (And based upon pictures I've seen, it's a pretty landscape up there).
Probably not. What other significant freight destinations are there in Iceland but Reykjavik? I think we would have a hard time to actually select cities, because let's face it: can you name another big Icelandic city? Probably not...
I've been rethinking Iceland and think it should be added eventually. I know Iceland probably has the lowest priority of all European countries, but allow me to make my plea.

There's plans to expand further up north (northern Scandinavia), south (Spain, Italy) and east (Russia). And there's very long term plans in consideration to go further southeast (Turkey, Greece). By that time, all of Europe is covered. Except for Iceland. At the moment, Iceland is being considered to be ignored because of it's lack of any bigger cities. In this plea, I'll be doing a bit of research and eventually come up with a concept of a map.

Population
Iceland doesn't have a lot of population. This list on Wikipedia shows that Iceland's largest city has 120,000 citizens, and the 2nd largest only has 30,000. And those 'big' cities are all close to another, leaving the rest of Iceland relatively unpopulated. Of the European countries, it has the lowest population density of 3.1 pop/km². To compare; Russia has 8.42 pop/km² and Norway is the 2nd European country with the lowest density: 15.6 pop/km².

Freight
But this is a trucking game. We're hauling cargo, not people. Iceland's economy is largely based on the export of fish, fish products, aluminium and ferrosilicon. If we were to translate that into ETS2 industries, we'd need a few coastal fishing towns with food factories (EuroGoodies), an aluminium mine (Steinbruch) and chemical industry to process ferrosilicon. This schematic from Wikipedia shows Icelands other export products. There's a minor export of farm products, which allows a few eAcres farms to be placed.

Infrastructure
Wikipedia states Iceland has 13,000km of road, of which 8,000km are unpaved. These unpaved roads could be useful to make a few challenging routes. The main road is a ring road around the island, which connects most of the inhabited area of Iceland. The inner part is mainly unpopulated. The main transport hub is Keflavík International Airport which is located approx. 30km west of Reykjavík. Iceland has almost no railways, so all transportation needs to be done by road.

Size
Iceland has 100,250 km² of land, which makes it same size as Portugal (91,470 km²) or Bulgaria (108,489 km²). This means there's plenty of room and there's little space issues like in most other European countries.

Landscape
Wikipedia has some pictures which say more than 1000 words. Iceland's landscape is unique enough to offer a different view when trucking in ETS2.

Suggested concept map
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... dgxK_YG54A
To make this map, I started with a screenshot of the Czech Republic (77,000 km²) as a reference to the amount of roads and cities that'd fit into Iceland. Iceland's main road is a ring road, numbered "1". All bigger towns are located at or near that road. Unfortunately, most of Iceland big towns are locates near Reyjavík, so I left those out. All of the towns are coastal, and likely rely on fishing. Since there's no ETS2 industry which is based on fishing, I chose EuroGoodies as the most appropiate one. A few towns have an aluminium plant. I added chemical industry to those. Unfortunately I was unable to find where the raw aluminium is mined. I suspect the mines are more landinward. The southern coast of Iceland has no notable towns (apart from Árborg, but that's pretty close to Reykjavík). In order to make sure the southern road is being used, some remote industries should be added. Possibilitie are eAcres (farming), EuroGoodies (fishing) or Steinburch (aluminium mining).

Advantages and disadvantages
- Iceland is remote, any job to/from it will involve a lot of ferry time.
- Iceland is underpopulated and won't offer many cities and complex infrastructure.
+ Iceland will offer a few small villages and rural roads.
+ Iceland has a unique and varying landscape.
- Iceland is relatively unimportant and has a very low priority.
+ Iceland doesn't depend on other parts of the map, and can be made anytime.
+ Iceland inner lands could offer a rough and challenging terrain.
+ Iceland inner lands could be left out to save time.
- The ring road involves quite a bit of mapping only to connect a few villages.
+ It's possible to only include Reyjavík without doing the rest of Iceland.

Conclusion
Don't get me wrong. I don't expect you to start working on Iceland right now. I agree that all the other parts of Europe are more important, and I don't want to push the developers, who are doing this in their spare time. But I simply think it'd be a shame to ignore Iceland and to leave it out completely. Considering the quote of MantelSoft at the start of this post, it seems like the devs are having troubles to find reasons to include Iceland. I hope this bit of research helps them out with that. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know. :)

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

03 May 2014 17:13

The single most obvious reason I can think of for not considering Iceland is simply the map scale. I'm not at all certain that the scale could be increased nearly enough to even fit Iceland on the grid...
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

03 May 2014 17:17

I think it would fit.

If it would be end 2015 before we start construction it I guess but it could be some good off-road/small-road area. Something lots of users are requesting.

I already put it up in the chat with the other devs, let's see what they have to say of this.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

Purno
Donation rank:

03 May 2014 17:23

n4gix.bill.leaming wrote:I'm not at all certain that the scale could be increased nearly enough to even fit Iceland on the grid...
Hmm... I didn't consider such a limitation. But it's quite likely nobody would notice if you'd move Iceland a few hundred kilometers towards mainland Europe. :mrgreen:
Nico wrote:If it would be end 2015 before we start construction it I guess but it could be some good off-road/small-road area. Something lots of users are requesting.
End 2015 is already sooner than I expected. There's indeed some interesting chances for Iceland :)
I already put it up in the chat with the other devs, let's see what they have to say of this.
Please let me know what they say. And if I can be of any assistance, please let me know too :)

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

04 May 2014 11:39

Just a couple of points/ questions

Firstly, Purno, what a very very detailed and interesting piece of research you have done there. You would be great on a debate team :lol:
n4gix.bill.leaming wrote: I'm not at all certain that the scale could be increased nearly enough to even fit Iceland on the grid...
Then, out of interest, how did TSM get Africa to fit on their map?
Purno wrote: Iceland has 100,250 km² of land, which makes it same size as Portugal (91,470 km²) or Bulgaria (108,489 km²).

Wow, I really didn't expect that Iceland was anywhere near that big.

Also, if you are going to ever make Iceland, how are you going to get data from the country's roads and road signs? Solely Google Maps? I suppose you could also recruit the few (guessing) Icelandic members of the forum to contribute information. That map of Iceland looks like an ideal plan to me

Lastly, I agree with Purno, I do think that Iceland would make a very interesting place for expansion. Yes, it is probably the least-prioritised country there is out there in Europe, (well, perhaps except for, say, Malta), but I genuinely believe that when the Promods team are exhausted after mapping the other least-prioritised countries in Europe, they (you, if you are reading this) should at least consider making Iceland.

Purno
Donation rank:

04 May 2014 12:28

uk_daf_fan wrote:Firstly, Purno, what a very very detailed and interesting piece of research you have done there. You would be great on a debate team :lol:
Thank you :)

Also, if you are going to ever make Iceland, how are you going to get data from the country's roads and road signs? Solely Google Maps?
Google Maps has mapped large parts of the populated area of Iceland (ring road and Reyjavík area). That should provide sufficient information. The inner parts aren't photographed, so that may involve a bit of guesswork.
I suppose you could also recruit the few (guessing) Icelandic members of the forum to contribute information.
Usually any locals aware of the progress will contribute photographs are comments. If the devs made something wrong, it's usually being pointed out by the playerbase. ;)
If there aren't any Icelandic people making comments, I guess you could say nobody would notice any mistakes and stuff is good enough.
That map of Iceland looks like an ideal plan to me
Glad to hear. We still need to determine locations of mines and some farms and fishing industries. Unfortunately I was unable to find info on where the aluminium is mined. I can only find information about the aluminium plants. All plants for processing aluminium are located at the coastline.

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

04 May 2014 13:20

uk_daf_fan wrote:
n4gix.bill.leaming wrote: I'm not at all certain that the scale could be increased nearly enough to even fit Iceland on the grid...
Then, out of interest, how did TSM get Africa to fit on their map?
It would fit...

But not sure on how to connect it. I don't think that there is a real ferry connection between Iceland and the EU. Guess that most products are shipped by cargoships or flown into the country.

Might be an interesting place to look at in the future but so far we still got France to finish, Finland to expand, plans on Sweden and Norway expansions, finishing Estonia, building Latvia, Lituania, Spain, parts of Russia, Italy etc etc.

The list is huge :P
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

04 May 2014 16:21

Interesting article on Icelandic trucking and cargo logistics:
http://www.icetradedirectory.com/englis ... n_iceland/

Check out the picture of the truck driving through a glacier cut: http://www.layover.com/features/features/070502.html/

Wow! Now this is an interesting road sign! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Icela ... d-Sign.JPG
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

SweetErin

04 May 2014 22:19

So, i found this, so, it appears to me that at the very least trailers travel by ferry between Denmark and Iceland, so, i'm not sure if it'd be too much of a stretch to in game since the tractor part over?

http://www.bws.dk/activities/smyril-blu ... eland.aspx

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

05 May 2014 01:58

One potential problem I see is the ferry journey (unless we cheat) would take 4 in-game days (which is probably why only trailers make the trip in RL). Is it possible to fast forward time in ETS2 by that much without creating problems in the area of the jobs list or hired drivers and their jobs?
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information