Iceland just gets better

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

05 Oct 2017 04:17

Was exploring the new roads in Iceland recently and it seems to me (I have not gone back to compare older snapshots yet) that a lot of artistic effort has been put into upgrading the terrain texture and vegetation: rock faces seem to look more realistic & randomised, and there's way more plant life (of appropriate kinds) which makes the overall effect far more convincing and scenic. Iceland, which was already awesome, is now even more awesome! Great work, whoever owns the Icelandic back roads.

I have only one gotcha to report, which is that one of the standard "clump of grass" units seems to have a fixed orientation which is not always lined up with the terrain under it. In many locations, these grass clumps are sticking out in mid air off the side of a hill, apparently levitating. This is true for long stretches of roadway, not just in one or two locations: the "flying grass" effect is a bit startling :-) I can revisit and provide a real bug report w/snapshot if this warrants one; in the meantime it seems to me that the problem would be solved very simply in most cases by rotating the grass clump by 90 degrees around its Z (vertical) axis...
British living in Canada, over 60, Hackintosh AMD RX580/8GB, OSX Mojave
USBcycle
The Beginner's Guide to SCS Mapping (WIP)
All DLCs + ProMods (sometimes: + RusMap + SR + GreatSteppe) Level 43

ScuL
Founder

05 Oct 2017 05:13

Grass can't be independently rotated, it gets drawn by the terrain. If the terrain is steep the grass may appear to float.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

08 Oct 2017 19:35

Now that you have mentioned this I've become attentive to it, and have noticed the same problem on roads with steep banks (currently on a two-lane trip in Eastern Europe). So it's a flaw in the terrain algorithm? Oh well. Probably not a high priority for SCS to fix :-)

[edit] but I put it on the Wishlist anyway :-)
British living in Canada, over 60, Hackintosh AMD RX580/8GB, OSX Mojave
USBcycle
The Beginner's Guide to SCS Mapping (WIP)
All DLCs + ProMods (sometimes: + RusMap + SR + GreatSteppe) Level 43

realdeal350
Developer

17 Oct 2017 06:29

The grass is a 2D model (like the LOD trees) so no matter where you are the grass will always face you.
Spain developer
Canada developer
Regional Co-ordinator for the Roman region

Languages: English, italiano

Darkfizch
Donation rank:

18 Oct 2017 19:49

realdeal350 wrote:
17 Oct 2017 06:29
the grass will always face you.
spooky :?

realdeal350