[Suggestion] Something to add to the FAQ - don't rename files

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
sjain

21 Sep 2017 19:44

Hey,

This will be short.

To keep my mods folder clean and so I can recognise mods, I rename the .scs and .zip files to something short and lowercase with underscores.

As soon as I did this for Promods and RusMap, the Promods loading screen showed, but none of the cities loaded and only half of the RusMap cities loaded.

I didn't notice this for a few days! Luckily I had just updated and sorted out mods for 1.28 and not done any real trucking.

So, to add to the FAQ:

Question: "Why do the Promods loading screens show, but none of the cities load ingame?

Answer: Please ensure you do not rename any of the Promods .scs files, as this will prevent cities from loading ingame.

Cheers,

sjain

P.S. Loving 2.20! I will never understand how this mod is free without ads. The heroes we need, but for sure don't deserve. Love you guys

Davyddin
Donation rank:

21 Sep 2017 20:26

I don't have this problem.
ProMods moderator, translator, and tester. ATS and ETS2 player and modder. Author e.g. of the Profile Jumpstart mods. Fennoswede from the Finnish archipelago.

Callipso
Donation rank:

21 Sep 2017 21:23

sjain wrote:

To keep my mods folder clean and so I can recognise mods, I rename the .scs and .zip files to something short and lowercase with underscores.

As soon as I did this for Promods and RusMap, the Promods loading screen showed, but none of the cities loaded and only half of the RusMap cities loaded.
If you rename the extention .scs to something else the mod will not be mounted into the game.

If you just renamed the file itself then it should still work properly, the only problem you would have at that point is typically with the order in which the mods were loaded. Also make sure you dowloaded the promods def file with the option "check if you are using RusMap" clicked.

Personally, I've never had any issue with renaming files they still load properly for me, in the right over of course.

sjain

21 Sep 2017 22:12

Callipso wrote:
21 Sep 2017 21:23
sjain wrote:

If you rename the extention .scs to something else the mod will not be mounted into the game.

If you just renamed the file itself then it should still work properly, the only problem you would have at that point is typically with the order in which the mods were loaded. Also make sure you dowloaded the promods def file with the option "check if you are using RusMap" clicked.

Personally, I've never had any issue with renaming files they still load properly for me, in the right over of course.
I did not remove the .scs extension at all.

With you not having an issue, that's interesting.... all I can say is that I wish I was in your place.

The order was exactly as stated in the official load order page: viewtopic.php?t=14523

The loading screens showed Promods 2.2, but it was loading suspiciously fast and maps seemed oddly bare. When I noticed Croydon was missing from London I knew something was wrong, and the name must have been the only reason in my eyes.

I did check "RusMap zoom" or whatever it was when generating the .def file.

It works for me, and you with renaming it seems, so I think the topic has no purpose now.

Thanks for your response, and happy trucking :)

Josh0

22 Sep 2017 03:57

Just my two cents. There is no dependency on the names of the archive files that I am aware of (other than the filenames ending with ".scs", which you said you preserved). You should be able to rename them without a problem. I am sure you have your reasons changing the filenames but personally I would recommend against it. It can make it more difficult for someone to analyze your game log if all the filenames are changed from what we expect them to be.
sjain wrote:
21 Sep 2017 22:12
The loading screens showed Promods 2.2, but it was loading suspiciously fast and maps seemed oddly bare.
It sounds like the ProMods map archive (promods-map-v220.scs) was not loaded in your game. I expect the ProMods package will load successfully (without causing any errors) when the map archive is missing, but as you said, none of the ProMods map/cities/roads will appear in the game. The loading screens are stored in a different archive of the ProMods package.

DragonSpirit
Donation rank:

22 Sep 2017 13:18

I rename mods that end on .scs to .zip (Steam workshop mods are also .zip) and never had issues (.zip seems to load faster for me that is reason why I use .zip and not .scs)

So I tried changing several options :
*no issues renaming part before .scs
*no issues to change .scs to .zip
*no issues renaming part before .scs and renaming .scs to .zip

So why it doesn't work or give issues is out of my knowledge or thinking at this time

Josh renaming files doesn't mean they changed the name in manifest it loads for me the names provided in manifest even if I changed the mod name (will change in game.log.txt when I change name provided in manifest to something else)
My PC Specs: *Mobo: MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC B350 *CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8core) 3,4 GHz (3,8 GHz Turbo Boost) *Memory: Corsair 16GB DDR4-2666 Kit
*GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G *HDD: Hitachi 1TB SATA *PSU: 850Watt *Wheel: Logitech G29 with shifter *OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information