road surfaces and tyre noise?

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

11 Sep 2017 06:20

I have a suggestion for some future release: when road surfaces are badly cracked and fissured (there are many patches of picturesquely damaged road surface all over the map) I think the tyre noise should change as it would in real life, to grumble a bit (similar to the noise of a dirt or gravel road but a bit less intense). It is an illusion-breaker for me to pass over a stretch of shattered pavement and hear my tyres go on swishing smoothly as if on perfect asphalt. I have no idea whether this is a trivial fix or some awful deep-rooted limitation that SCS would have to address -- but I'll take it to SCS forum wishlist if that's the correct place.
British living in Canada, over 60, Hackintosh AMD RX580/8GB, OSX Mojave
USBcycle
The Beginner's Guide to SCS Mapping (WIP)
All DLCs + ProMods (sometimes: + RusMap + SR + GreatSteppe) Level 43

Callipso
Donation rank:

11 Sep 2017 06:36

Have you ever used RusMap? they have some real heavy cracks in the black top that will not only give you that extra noise you want, it also will give your truck a good bounce when going over it. I'm not sure it would be worth it to have a sound for a texture that is very uncommon and infrequent, however probably something like a gravel sound would be best for crumbling asphalt areas if they were to be implemented.

RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

17 Sep 2017 23:29

Good motto btw (your sig). I think I've seen a fair amount of "crazed" paving in the game -- it's not really rare, if not exactly frequent either. The port of Bilbao has (realistically) quite a bit of it. I always notice it because of the brief unreality of the silence as it passes under the wheels. Anyway not a high priority fix by any means, and I think the "gravel" sound would be perfectly adequate, don't really need a new sound. Another place where a bit of SFX would be realistic is in transitions between one paving type and another (black asphalt to pale concrete for example) -- at the seam there is almost always a "tick" and a slight bump.

I did have RusMap loaded a while back, and found it quite humorous and visually interesting, but haven't bothered to add it to my already tall stack of mods lately; maybe this winter I'll revive it. iirc there were some nice roadside attractions, some gritty detail in buildings and pavements etc. I think I recall that the roads had realistic potholes, which was rather nifty.
USBcycle

Davyddin
Donation rank:

18 Sep 2017 13:54

I think this is generally a good suggestion; it is something I have thought about from time to time as well. Specifically, I have personally noticed that cobblestone streets never seem to have a different sound. I think the "slowest" or "roughest" possible rumble strip sound would be a good ad-hoc solution there.
ProMods moderator, translator, and tester. ATS and ETS2 player and modder. Author e.g. of the Profile Jumpstart mods. Fennoswede from the Finnish archipelago.

RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

19 Sep 2017 19:59

oh yes, cobblestones! thank you for reminding me, I have noticed this also as a jarring unrealism: gee, this cobbled street is glass-smooth to my tyres. and the rumble strip sound would be another good option, maybe better than gravel. In my dreams, we would also hear the rhythmic "tick-a-TICK, tick-a-TICK" of highways made from poured concrete slab sections :-) but that's getting rather picky.
USBcycle

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information