UK and Ireland suggestions

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Horus

07 Aug 2013 19:39

EDIT: Ireland added to the discussion

Hi everyone,

Fantastic work so far on Scandinavia! Seeing as you will be working on Ireland soon, I thought of a few suggestions for the UK (links are to images that were to large for this post):

1) Variable message signs:

2) Cat's eyes:

3) Welsh border signs, with Welsh language signs:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4077/4892 ... 5e9d_o.jpg

http://www.home.kirstatter.net/images/U ... les088.jpg

4) Some signs that are missing from the game:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... t_sign.JPG

Also there shouldn't be M or A road slip road signs on the minor roads leading up to the motorway junctions.

5) Green cycle lanes in the cities:

London also could do with a fair bit of modding. Some suggestions:

1) Remove the hilly farms and grassy edges of the city, and replace them with suburbs - London doesn't have giant wheat farms on hills! Although keep the city inside a ring of trees, which in turn is surrounded by the M25. So from the outside, it looks like trees to the motorway drivers, but once you drive into the city, it gives the impression of suburbs leading into a major city centre.

2) Dartford Crossing? Great additional landmark to the east of the city.

3) Heathrow Airport, would be great to make deliveries there. It's the third busiest airport in the world!!! How could that be missed out? :D

I hope you all like these suggestions. Any other ideas? What do you all think?
Last edited by Horus on 09 Aug 2013 17:46, edited 2 times in total.

ScuL
Founder

07 Aug 2013 19:43

Some good suggestions.

One thing that bugs me is the lack of yellow lines in cities.
Also;

The M4/M5 junction.. its terrible.

You will be pleased to hear that I already made dual-language signs for Wales, such as Gwasanaethau for Services.
Of course the M4 will be extended then the A-road extended towards Fishguard for a ferry to Ireland.

I'm not sure if there is room for Heathrow, it's pretty squashed that side of the map.
Cat's eyes are hard but maybe we can change a road texture, this means replacing ALL road textures in the UK which is a pain!
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Horus

07 Aug 2013 19:49

ScuL wrote:Some good suggestions.

One thing that bugs me is the lack of yellow lines in cities.
Also;

The M4/M5 junction.. its terrible.

You will be pleased to hear that I already made dual-language signs for Wales, such as Gwasanaethau for Services.
Of course the M4 will be extended then the A-road extended towards Fishguard for a ferry to Ireland.

I'm not sure if there is room for Heathrow, it's pretty squashed that side of the map.
Cat's eyes are hard but maybe we can change a road texture, this means replacing ALL road textures in the UK which is a pain!
Yeah!!! The red lines in the city centre and the "keep clear" yellow lines at traffic lights too.

Awesome :) Driving through Wales on the base map seemed no different from England, so it's a great addition. Maybe Scottish Gaelic signs for Scotland? I know many of the roads towards Aberdeen have them, and that they're being extended in Scotland.

Another idea I had are signs for county borders... a bit of a squash maybe on the scaled down map, but would be a cool addition.

ScuL
Founder

07 Aug 2013 19:51

Yea the problem with the county borders is that every county is different.. making all of them would be very time intensive.

I've (incredibly) never been to Scotland so I am not aware about specific conditions in road signs up there.

I also wanted to create the big "REDUCE SPEED NOW" signs and rumble strips at roundabouts.
Also use our road_print object to create "STOP" on the road ("ARAF" in Welsh)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Horus

07 Aug 2013 20:03

I know the signs are mostly around the Highlands and sometimes in cities, there are border signs in Gaelic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 1_road.jpg

And road signs:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3310/3418 ... 9833_o.jpg

But you'll have to ask someone in Scotland if you wanted to know exactly which roads use them, as I'm not entirely sure and your map is (thank god) focused on realism. Maybe this wiki article might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_roa ... n_Scotland

Fantastic additions!!! This will make the UK area of the base map less bland, I only really enjoy driving up to Abderdeen in the game to see the border post and the mountains.

If you are considering redoing some of the junctions, roundabout junctions would be fantastic... it is actually what we usually do on British junctions. :D

Oh and the tourism signs? Because I noticed in Denmark you had red tourism signs on the motorway, we have them too:

ScuL
Founder

07 Aug 2013 20:09

FLD has been working on a new prefab that will allow us to create "highway roundabouts" either above or under the carriageway. This will make UK sliproads ten times more realistic.

Tourist signs are an option too.

Horus

07 Aug 2013 20:10

ScuL wrote:FLD has been working on a new prefab that will allow us to create "highway roundabouts" either above or under the carriageway. This will make UK sliproads ten times more realistic.

Tourist signs are an option too.
Awesome :)

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

07 Aug 2013 20:17

Ireland and northern Ireland will ofc be made as well. ScuL has already added Irish signs and construction will add in about 3-4 months I think. And yeah making some adjustments to England and Wales would be cool :D. Heathrow might be cool. I will look into it. Expanding London might be something cool to do.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

Horus

07 Aug 2013 20:26

Nico wrote:Ireland and northern Ireland will ofc be made as well. ScuL has already added Irish signs and construction will add in about 3-4 months I think. And yeah making some adjustments to England and Wales would be cool :D. Heathrow might be cool. I will look into it. Expanding London might be something cool to do.
My idea for the past few months (which I'm handing to you if you'd like it for inspiration, as I am not skilled at modding) was to remove the northern roads in London, and replace that with a straight road, renaming it the A10. This will free up space on the north of the motorway so you can add better stuff like variable signs and other cool stuff like that.

Then, build a western road, the A40, and connect it to Heathrow. The A40 turns into the M40, which goes to Oxford, but if you don't want to build that city yet just block the M40 to non-AI traffic. The road to the east can be called A20, and the road to the south... maybe A23 or A24.

Now THAT would be a fairly realistic scaled down London :D

BarrGDA
Donation rank:

07 Aug 2013 21:04

Someone did a mod for Cat's Eyes on German Truck Sim, perhaps that option could be looked into and converted into ETS2?

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information