Signals 300m, 200m ... wrong distance

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
IvanGF14
Developer

23 Jan 2017 16:47

We didnt change the scale. 1:19 is the scale SCS choosed for their game

jontsuba
Donation rank:

23 Jan 2017 19:44

I think we missed the point he made: sure, the distances aren't real and don't have to be fixed to the milimeter but what he is proposing is just that they should be placed in order to help to break those who have to take the next exit. Just to have that in mind.

pacoon

24 Jan 2017 06:23

I have traveled many parts of the map and I find this situation in Germany, you see the signs very close. For example, from Liège to Köln (E40), after the rest area on the Belgian border of Germany, at the first turnoff, two signs are half buried (ProMods 2.12 I don't have DLC France). From Köln to Duisburg (3) or from Dortmund to the north (1).
In southern Germany this does not happen. The signals can be placed at a distance of 100m, 90m, 80m, I do not know, but the signals do not look as close as it does in the north.
Callipso wrote:There is a scale, though its not every object abides by this scale in-game, this is to give you the illusion that you are still driving on the road in real life. The in-game scale on the highway is 1:19 and yes if everything did use that scale appropriately things would end up being very tiny. Cities work on a 1:3 scale to allow enough space to make it seem as though your in a city and not a small hamlet or village.
In ProMods you are very grateful when you arrive at your destination and you cross part of a city to reach the industrial zone, or in the very center of the city, as one of the destinations of Brussels. It helps a lot to remember the destinations because vanilla is impossible, you come to a country and all cities look the same.

M4rkus

24 Jan 2017 19:02

Problem is that you have different scales in one map that are hard to bring in line. You have 1:19 or 1:15 (Britain) scale in general, then I think 1:3 scale for prefabs and cities, and objects that seem to be more or less mapped in 1:1 (truck, trees and houses - and there might be even some additional distortion to harmonize them with the streets that tend to be wider than normal due to gameplay issues). So I can see your problem but it's hard to find a good solution.

Actually, for my taste the problem is a bit of the opposite - because I don't compare the distances on the signs to the size of the truck but to the mileage at the speedometer, so they're too short for me (particularly those 5 km signs which seem to be 15 km or something before the exit). I'd rather change the signs and increase the distances shown on them. Well, that shows it's probably a problem of the different scales used in the map. However, sign distances should the same all over the map, I don't know if that's the case already.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

24 Jan 2017 21:44

The distances told on distance-signs, are the same as told in real life I believe. We do that to reflect some realism.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

pacoon

25 Jan 2017 20:14

I was wrong. South of germany also happens.
Salzburg - München. From the console: goto 4411;30;14787 (copy-paste).
There is enough space but the signs are placed very close (1000m 500m 300m ...)

München - west route, all signs are placed very close. In goto -624;41;12746, after the signal (end of speed 50km/h), this limit is maintained in the GPS.

Scale 1:19, Distances:
Signal ETS2 - 100 m
Real life - 1,9 km

Scale 1:57, Distances:
Signal ETS2 - 100 m
Real life - 5,7 km

Scale 1:@%?H3, Distances:
Signal ETS2 - 100 m
Real life - 0.1 x @%?H3

Scales do not matter, signals are well placed.

As the scale is 1:19 then the signals would have to be placed at 5m in Ets2, but since they are very close and can't be placed at 100m because the map is at scale 1:19, then they are placed at a distance so that everything is aesthetic. And if my speed is 80 km h in ets2, in real life it is higher than mach 1.
The scale is the leader. We love the leader.

Well, the solution was easy, I have removed the promods and now everything is in place. In vanilla no problem with the scale, it is curious. I will continue with RusMap, Russian Open Spaces and try with the TruckSim Map. If the signals aren't right then it is removed. I don't want to sacrifice the simulation for aesthetics.

Regards

ScuL
Founder

26 Jan 2017 02:01

Ok, I am going to be very undiplomatic in this response because you've asked for it.
pacoon wrote:I have removed the promods
People like you SERIOUSLY piss me off beyond any means. WHY? Because your expectations are beyond realistic.
pacoon wrote:I don't want to sacrifice the simulation for aesthetics.
The vanilla German map is ANYTHING but a simulation, it is a largely arcade style world based on fantasy junctions that do not exist in real life, they have wrong signage, wrong points of reference and in most places the wrong scale. I'm not even going to address TSM because that is even worse.

The reality is that ProMods is a fan-built map by a team of ~50 people and every developer develops their own small area.
Germany in itself has been edited by perhaps 8 different people. Up until recently there was no tool available in the editor to measure distances in the map editor so all of the signs have been placed based on "visual estimations", as good as it gets.

Since a few versions ago SCS have added a tool to measure distances. Now almost all of the distance markers are placed within the correct physical distances (even though we keep to 100m in the 1:19 world instead of ~5.26m (which should be correct, keeping to scale)). To replace all those markers all over Germany requires movement of perhaps 2500 independent sign models to achieve perfection.

Our team is mostly occupied expanding the map into other areas so that we can finally cover all of Europe (including Spain). None of our developers have the time to go back to already reconstructed areas and put sign models back in place. A detail that only one out of ten thousand users will notice, and get worked up about.

If you are serious about simulation then the ProMods map is the only serious map for ETS2 that meets 99% of your requirements.
Rejecting it because of such a futile detail is not only pernickety but an insult, ungrateful and an extremely poor attitude.

Enjoy your vanilla game.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

smith121363
Donation rank:

26 Jan 2017 02:49

Very well put ScuL. His attitude pisses me off also.

Master_of_the_roads

26 Jan 2017 15:46

I agree 100 % with ScuL, just crashing the party and bitching about it, doesn't get you invited. None other map can even compare to the level of detail, portrayed in Promods, there are few noted exceptions and add-ons that make this map even better, but others are just plain smoke. Too many colors, but very few flying. 8-)

Everyone has its own opinion, I respect that, but sometimes it gets out of control. :twisted:

Peterson

26 Jan 2017 16:36

Isn't it funny that there are people who try stuff just to find something wrong and brag about it around? This is not Yelp/ 4 stjerners middag/ Fact check/ Occupy Democrats (nehodiace sa preškrtnite).

In all seriousness, who looks at those distance signs when everybody slams their brakes right at the interchange (or doesn't even brake at all)... nobody. I knew it.
Peterson logistics - We think, you pay, it's that simple.

ImageImage
My WoT profile.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information