Modding Q&A

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
Qwertygiy

01 Mar 2020 02:28

I have a question regarding combo maps. Is there an easy way to position separate maps relative to each other?

For example, if I develop two maps separately (like two islands, or like the MiddleEast addon) and I want to be able to connect them by ferry, is there any trick to doing so except for importing one map onto the other in the map editor or the file browser? Especially if I want them to remain separate maps with their own positions, but to have an addon which stitches them together in relation to each other, or some other way of automatically connecting them.

I suspect that there isn't, and that they would have to be manually combined and positioned together in the same map. But there's very little good documentation I can find.

Vøytek
Developer

01 Mar 2020 13:52

ProMods and Middle East addon are 2 separate maps. You can load ProMods only or you can load PM + ME. When you load them both, you can then make connections (in this case there's no road connection which makes things easier). So if you want to connect 2 maps by road (like PM + RusMap), you'll have to prepare road connections to stitch everything together. Some sectors will overlap, making it even harder to do. And I don't think it can be explained easily, as only few people in this community worked on such connections.
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Qwertygiy

01 Mar 2020 19:58

The difficulty with connecting overlapping sectors I definitely understand. My question is more about, "if I have england.mbd and ireland.mbd, and both are based around sector 0-0, can I play the England map and have the Ireland map connected, and the Ireland map is shifted 50 sectors west so that it is properly positioned relative to the England map?"

And especially, if I then had a third map, islandofman.mbd, would I be able to change the offset where Ireland gets placed on the England map, so that there is room for the Island of Man, or would I have to manually move it all over to further sectors?

Is there a way to do that with separate map files, or would I have to build Ireland at 0-50 in england.mbd in the first place?

krmarci

01 Apr 2020 13:28

Are there any good guides/videos to creating a city from scratch? E.g. editing def files, using the map editor, changing signs, etc.? Thanks!

scan720
Developer
Donation rank:

01 Apr 2020 13:36

There were several Tutorials on YT.
Just Type "ETS2 map editor Tutorial"
Developer since July 2020
Working in Poland

Erador

10 Apr 2020 15:01

When I type 'edit' into the console to open the map editor, i receive the message "Run the application again with the command line paramater -edit". can anyone explain what it is that I need to do in order to open the editor?
Currently working on a PerthTruckSim, a 1:1 representation of Perth, WA.

May be insane.

Vøytek
Developer

10 Apr 2020 15:32

You have to add the parameter as it says (-edit europe). Either in Steam "Launch options" or in the shortcut on your Desktop if you have one.
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52

bona34

13 Apr 2020 01:18

Hello to everyone! I hope your health is good in these bad days.

I have been exploring the map editor for about 2 months. I'm adding something new, through slowly. :) I am facing some problems as I am a beginner. But I like research and learning. In this process, I met a few friends like me. We now work as a team and try to help each other. We couldn't solve some of our problems. So I need help from people who love to support. I'm here to learn from the masters. :)

My question is this: We are working for a add-on map. Since we are a team, we work in different sectors on the map. I know how to save and re-open a map editor work. But how do I combine work in different sectors in the same mod file?

I combine different sector files into the europe file in the map folder. But there are two europe.mbd files in two different map works. Which one should I put in the map folder? What should be done when bringing together two different map editor works? If there is any guide or source of information on this topic, can you please tell me? Thank you in advance...
TR Extended Map Mod Team

https://trextendedmap.com/eng/

Vøytek
Developer

13 Apr 2020 11:05

I think your friends just have to send you the sector files, not the .mbd file.
Put their sectors inside map/europe folder (where your sector files are) and that's it.
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52

fisherm
Donation rank:

07 May 2020 08:51

I think I might have hit the limits of what is possible on the Paris 1:1 map I've been developing - movements of the camera are causing objects to randomly vanish and reappear (they're still there, just invisible), both in the editor and the game. For example this road:

and move the camera a fraction and the road disappears

I think it's a memory issue, so there's maybe nothing more I can do - the density of streets in Paris means it's trying to display too many things at the same time. Recomputing the map fixed it for a while, but now that doesn't work either. Forcing 64 bit on the editor also doesn't help. Any other suggestions are very welcome - it would be disappointing if I have to give up.

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information