Modify Existing ATS map help

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
Jman12678

06 Nov 2017 04:21

Hello all,

I'm a real life civil engineer and when I play ATS, I want to correct the placement of signs placed by scs and make them more realistic and place them based on real engineering design and standards as that is what I do in my real world work as a roadway designer.

I'm looking to get started into modding the ATS map. What I'm looking to start is to correct the placement of the road signs and aspects of the roadway design before I start adjusting the roads in the map editor. I've looked online and all I see for guide is how to create a new map. What I'm looking for more on a guide to modifying the existing map and saving the changes made in the map editor. I've started with how to work a new map but when I load in the mod folder it crashes the game or won't load. I've extracted the base.scs and create the archive for map into .scs format to put into mod folder after editing the usa.mbd file. I started by placing correct signage for the exits in san simon as test to understand the map editor.

If I can get pointed in the right direction it will help. Even a brief walk-through or links would help.

I would love to show the work once I start making improvements.
Professional Engineer Licensed in Texas

Enjoy anything that deals with roads.

Thanks and Gig Em'

ScuL
Founder

06 Nov 2017 05:24

I think the best path for you is to join our "ATS Academy". We can use people with knowledge like you. The map editor can be a bit finicky to get started with but changing signs is a very good start.

Before you progress with any work, please be aware that ATS update 1.29 is imminent and it will pretty much wipe out the entire map with updates. So any work on ATS 1.28 will be lost unless copy/pasted into 1.29, which is a pain in the bum.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Jman12678

06 Nov 2017 15:41

ScuL

How do I join the ATS academy, I remember I was interested last year but then I didn't have the time and stopped gaming and learning to mod as I had to work on the examination of getting my engineering license. Now that I have to time again and I would be interested again and help making the ATS map more realistic and apply my real world engineering skills.

Thanks and Gig Em'

Callipso
Donation rank:

06 Nov 2017 23:48

If you are accepted I believe ScuL or another mod will send you a message and you will be able to see the hidden section of the board that says ATS academy on the main page.

About your crash there is likely some text in the game log that will clarify as to what the problem is with the mod setup your using. if you re-create the crash and then post your game log here using the [ code ] [ /code ]. To do this simply copy the text and place in between the code brackets after the closing bracket ] and the opening bracket [ , and remove the spaces before and after the words code and /code, if you copy pasted, then something like this should appear:

Code: Select all

this is the proper code format 
another way to do this is to select my post as a quote a new post window will appear with my post in quotes, copy paste the line above this sentence only, the rest can be deleted, then replace the sentence in the code format with your game log

if your doing things properly the game log should be short enough to fit, as you should only be using your map mod to edit the game and nothing else, unless you want your mod to be dependent on other mods to work.

Lastly, there is really no actual manual that can guide you through the process set by step, Nico produced a small ATS user manual awhile ago, it goes through the basics and gives you hints and tips on how to work the editor if your a newbie. The rest is trial and error, most people who learn the map editor will come back to the academy to ask questions that is probably the best way to learn things is to ask the community and usually you will get a response in most cases unless your problem is something no one else has encountered before.

Jman12678

07 Nov 2017 01:20

Thanks, I posted code before when I've had crash issues on the ETS promods map a while back. I'm glad people are helpful on here and that I'm taking the next step and learn to modify the map and have good advice. I will try again once the game is updated to 1.29. For the first step its to make a copy of the base.scs file and create a folder called base to unpack the contents of the file with scs extractor. Then to modify the map I need to chose the map folder and use 7-zip to make in an scs archive and place that in my mod folder. Then I would load and use the console use edit that .scs file. I hope these steps are right on how the modify the existing map. I will also post the code as long if these steps are correct.

Thanks and Gig Em'

Callipso
Donation rank:

07 Nov 2017 04:37

you also need to extract the def.scs file as well, that will contain all the information that is needed to edit the game. in your ETS2 game path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Euro Truck Simulator 2, this is the path for the game in my computer it may differ slightly depending on what method you used to install the game and what PC you use. Make a new folder and rename it to base, copy your extracted def to this folder, then find the map folder inside the base folder you extracted copy this to the new base folder in your game path.

If you have not already make a custom mod for your new map, you can do this by copying the same two files def and map into another new folder and then using winRAR or 7zip to compress them into a .scs or .zip file. Once you downloaded one of those two applications and installed it, you can proceed to compressing them into a .scs or .zip. After you have done this place your new mod into the mods folder located in your my documents section if your using Windows. After you have all that set up. Launch your game if you can type edit USA into your console and not end up with a crash then you have successfully created your own copy of the map to edit.

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information