Is there a Beginner's Guide for models?

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

19 Sep 2017 20:21

I would like to contribute to ETS2, someday, more than just smartass comments :-)

Right now, in the immediate term, I would like to make a radically modified truck model for my own purposes.

So I'm doubly motivated to learn how to mod, beyond the very baby steps I've taken so far (extract game config files, tweak a couple of params, repackage, load as a mod); I'd like to learn how a truck model is put together, how people make alternative trucks (even sports cars!), how decorative objects (buildings, movers, AIs) are imported into the game.

If I wanted to make more world (roads, terrain, etc) it seems there is a pretty darn good How To already (many hat tips to author!)

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1326

But is there such a document for object modelling?

I dipped into the threads here and immediately I find that the discussion is over my head, as if everyone is already modelling successfully and discussing points of style and practise. What I am hoping to find is an overview document, maybe with flowcharts, as in "This is how the game engine ingests world data, these are the file formats it can import and export, these are the editing tools provided by SCS, this is the workflow for editing a map/vehicle/building, these are the 3d modeling programmes w/which SCS can exchange data." In other words, ETS2 modding for complete newbies. The Beginner's Guide [which btw is quite a funny and interesting game itself].

I have modelled (3d objects, hand crafted animations, and physics engine stuff) using Blender, and I have built a small explorable world using Unity. I learned enough Python to drive Blender with my own scripts, and I was able to edit and modify Unity code snippets at a not-too-sophisticated level. So I am pretty confident of being able to get the hang of modelling for ETS2. I just am not sure where to begin (especially given that my platform is OSX!). Can someone throw me a link? Or am I volunteering to do the research and write the Guide myself?
British living in Canada, over 60, Hackintosh AMD RX580/8GB, OSX Mojave
USBcycle
The Beginner's Guide to SCS Mapping (WIP)
All DLCs + ProMods (sometimes: + RusMap + SR + GreatSteppe) Level 43

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:
It’s my birthday

26 Sep 2017 01:32

First I recommend some general blender tutorials, but you say you are already familiar with Blender so that's good.

So next I recommend the tutorials here http://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Tutorials

Do the simple cube tutorial first. It will show you what to download and how to set up the blender UI (watch the videos)

Next you can do the truck accessory tutorial to become more familiar with SCS's blender tools.

However there is one problem. Although you could make game models just fine on mac or Linux, you need to convert them from the blender format (.pim) to the game format (.pmd), and this requires SCS conversion tools, which can only run on Windows.
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information