Iberian Peninsula Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
stummer
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 18:19

It doesn't matter if we announce 2 or 2000 cities for a country. It will take a lot of time to build Spain according to it's size. So let's just watch it grow. ;)

jontsuba
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 18:29

I agree with Martinus. Add the first 10 urban areas of Spain and you only have around one third of the population. You can have 30 cities in Spain and it will still look vast, I assure you, because cities aren't evenly distributed. You will have km and km or pretty nothingness from Madrid to Zaragoza (A-2: 317 km), or Burgos (A-1: 247 km) or Valencia (A-3: 270 km) or Andalusia (A-4: 260 km).

About Pamplona and Lleida. There IS plenty of space. Pamplona is 155 km away from Bilbao and 177 from Zaragoza. It's population is over 300,000 and there is a Volkswagen factory in there making the Volkswagen Polo (with all its associated industry). Lleida is 152 km away from Zaragoza and 162 from Barcelona, it's over 300,000, it's the gate to Andorra and as it is some km north of AP-2, it wouldn't affect the sense of vasteness as you drive. That would be a way to build the cities Spain deserves but maintaining the sense of long distances. Burgos, Lleida, Cuidad Real, Logroño... You won't hardly see them as you drive through.

Rest assured, Spain HAS many cities, but also many deserted areas.

orestescm76
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 19:26

let the developver think about this

Superdavecan

18 Mar 2015 19:56

I remember Jontsuba's concept plan for Spain very well, from this topic http://www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4058, and I agree with his plan! Only the first- and second-tier cities though... otherwise Spain really would be overcrowded, but I think that plan has an appropriate density and number of cities. Yes it will definitely take a while to do, but to me that plan looks good.

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

18 Mar 2015 20:07

Superdavecan wrote:I remember Jontsuba's concept plan for Spain very well, from this topic http://www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4058, and I agree with his plan! Only the first- and second-tier cities though... otherwise Spain really would be overcrowded, but I think that plan has an appropriate density and number of cities. Yes it will definitely take a while to do, but to me that plan looks good.
That looks quite good actually.
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 20:15

way too many imho

realdeal350
Developer

18 Mar 2015 20:16

Just saying guys that its we, the developers choice on the cities and towns that get built. Of course you can have a say, but you dont have the final say. And about Denmark, I would say theres only 5 cities, København, Aalborg, Aarhus, Kolding, and Esbjerg. The rest I would consider more 'towns'.

Me and the devs dont know how many cities will be in Spain as well.
Spain developer
Canada developer
Regional Co-ordinator for the Roman region

Languages: English, italiano

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

18 Mar 2015 20:19

realdeal350 wrote:Just saying guys that its we, the developers choice on the cities and towns that get built. Of course you can have a say, but you dont have the final say. And about Denmark, I would say theres only 5 cities, København, Aalborg, Aarhus, Kolding, and Esbjerg. The rest I would consider more 'towns'.

Me and the devs dont know how many cities will be in Spain as well.
Anyway, regardless of the amount of cities, I'm sure there will be some pure highway even for a moment and that I'll generally enjoy it.
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

jontsuba
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 20:35

Superdavecan wrote:I remember Jontsuba's concept plan for Spain very well, from this topic http://www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4058, and I agree with his plan! Only the first- and second-tier cities though... otherwise Spain really would be overcrowded, but I think that plan has an appropriate density and number of cities. Yes it will definitely take a while to do, but to me that plan looks good.
Thanks! Anyway, as realdeal350 said it's them those who have the final word. They've continuosly said that Concept Map's are cheap talk and hardly useful for them. I'd really like to try someday mapping to try how how it is really to map.

About my concept map, I'd say that the main thing are first-tier and second-tier cities, and even then, as they map, some of them might have to be downgraded to scenery locations. Third-tier locations would be similar to all those scenery towns you come across in Kutchek's France but also includes Ports (Cartagena).

About cities and towns, I'd say the difference it's much subtler. You could classify between scenery and active locations. And after that, what makes an active location a city? Having a garage? A dealer? A job office? (I suppose companies are common to both) And then, what's the diffrence between building a scenery city and making it active?
Last edited by jontsuba on 18 Mar 2015 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 20:37

I think France is a good example for any country. I don't feel overwhelmed with cities when I drive there (unlike say Denmark).

Now count the cities in France. My count is 22 (there are some 'problems' with border cities, whether port is a city etc). It safe to say France will have ~25 cities in the end.

Now look at the density map provided earlier: http://www.applenext.com/wp-content/upl ... pDens2.jpg
Someone said 18 before and I'd agree that is a good number to shoot for. Some will be cramped, others will have vast space around them just like in the map.

As for the rest? They can be small scenery towns just like Kutchek has done in France. Personally, I love them!

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information