Iberian Peninsula Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
leillo1975
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 11:10

Thanks a lot. This are very good news. Please, don't forget northwest of Spain (oceanic climate). If you need something, I can help you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:L ... s_of_Spain
Last edited by leillo1975 on 18 Mar 2015 18:02, edited 2 times in total.

jontsuba
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 11:26

LA-MJ wrote:Those are not 11 cities in Iceland lol. There are only two 'real' cities: Reykjavik and Akureyri. Both Keflavik and Reyðarfjörður have garages as well but are a lot smaller. The rest are scenery.
Still, they are more "cities" than all the scenery cities from France. Otherwise, Iceland would be so empty. And with only 18 cities and no scenery cities at least, 505,000 km2-big Spain would look empty.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

18 Mar 2015 12:23

There are a few things that you need to consider when we are talking about new cities:

- City density: most of the cities in ProMods don't get picked on their absolute size in the ranking of a country, but rather on the distance between that city and surrounding cities. Of course, we often pick the largest city in the area (but not always! See Padborg and Bad Oeynhausen), but distance to other cities is very important when you consider the feasibility of said cities. This is why we prefer to build Arnhem and Zwolle in the Netherlands over the much more populous Utrecht and Den Haag; the latter two are just too close to other cities. The only exception to this rule is the Ruhr area, which is in fact basically one large multi-core city. Now, in Spain, the main cities are much more spread out compared to Germany, which is why we prefer to make less (but larger) cities.
- City size: Iceland may have 11 cities, but most of them are nothing more than just a few houses. The city size also has quite an influence on city density. The larger the size, the more space it "eats up" to build rural scenery and buffer space between cities. Now, it looks like Spain has quite a lot of large cities with pretty much "nothingness" surrounding it. In Germany, this is much more evenly spread. Although we may build more cities in Germany, don't expect them all to be large. We may build more smaller cities in Germany, while me might build less, but larger cities in Spain.
- Country population. Germany has double the population of Spain. In fact, Germany has twice the population of Spain. No wonder why Germany is much denser. Also, the Netherlands has about the same surface area as Denmark, yet, it has more than three times the population. (OK, Denmark does have more cities on our map, but most of them are not large, and NL will get some more cities, too).
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

BarrGDA
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 12:31

MandelSoft wrote:There are a few things that you need to consider when we are talking about new cities:

- City density: most of the cities in ProMods don't get picked on their absolute size in the ranking of a country, but rather on the distance between that city and surrounding cities. Of course, we often pick the largest city in the area (but not always! See Padborg and Bad Oeynhausen), but distance to other cities is very important when you consider the feasibility of said cities. This is why we prefer to build Arnhem and Zwolle in the Netherlands over the much more populous Utrecht and Den Haag; the latter two are just too close to other cities. The only exception to this rule is the Ruhr area, which is in fact basically one large multi-core city. Now, in Spain, the main cities are much more spread out compared to Germany, which is why we prefer to make less (but larger) cities.
- City size: Iceland may have 11 cities, but most of them are nothing more than just a few houses. The city size also has quite an influence on city density. The larger the size, the more space it "eats up" to build rural scenery and buffer space between cities. Now, it looks like Spain has quite a lot of large cities with pretty much "nothingness" surrounding it. In Germany, this is much more evenly spread. Although we may build more cities in Germany, don't expect them all to be large. We may build more smaller cities in Germany, while me might build less, but larger cities in Spain.
- Country population. Germany has double the population of Spain. In fact, Germany has twice the population of Spain. No wonder why Germany is much denser. Also, the Netherlands has about the same surface area as Denmark, yet, it has more than three times the population. (OK, Denmark does have more cities on our map, but most of them are not large, and NL will get some more cities, too).
I think Spain should have Bilbao, Pamplona, A Coruna, Santander, Vigo, Burgos, Valladolid, Madrid, Barcelona, Saragossa, Lleida, Valencia, Murcia, Cordoba, Sevilla, Malaga and Almeria as an absolute minimum. Of course, it will be ages before it's all done, but it'd be nice to have a plan overview like in ARP topic.

Although maybe it's worth doing central and East first, before expanding West, and onto Portugal.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

18 Mar 2015 12:36

Well, I will assure you that Barcelona, Bilbao and Zaragoza will definitely be made. For a first version of the Iberian Peninsula map, these three have the highest priority...

Lleida and Pamplona are under consideration, because they might be too close to either Bilbao or Barcelona...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

LoaderSaints

18 Mar 2015 13:33

Nice to have some development on Spain too. ;) It will add to the variation of the map once released.

kallejre

18 Mar 2015 13:49

Since Faroe is already built, can you add Majorca and Canary islands to plan?

jontsuba
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 14:43

I'd believe that a 150-170 km distance (Bilbao-Pamplona (350,000 people), Barcelona-Lleida (roughly the same)) is a pretty enough distance. Between Paris and Orleans is 130 km. When I made the 33 cities assumption (https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... EFOwzv7WgY from http://www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4058), I took into account a minimum of 100 km between cities. Even then, some might be considered scenery. And even then, you would have huge distances between cities (central Spain) and small scenery cities could be added (that's what third tier cities are for).

For example, between Bilbao and Santander they 100 km apart. Maybe a bit close. But then, between Santander and Gijon it's 200 and between Santander and Palencia the same. Santander-Torrelavega is 402,000 inhabitants, too large to be ignored. And there's plenty of space to build it (300 between Bilbao and Gijón, 200 to Palencia)

Also, I think the density map Leillo gave gives an idea whether a corridor is dense or not. Like the Ebro river, Catalonia or the basque Country

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

18 Mar 2015 15:52

Nice! And didn't know moderators can post in locked threads...
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

orestescm76
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2015 15:53

jontsuba wrote:I'd believe that a 150-170 km distance (Bilbao-Pamplona (350,000 people), Barcelona-Lleida (roughly the same)) is a pretty enough distance. Between Paris and Orleans is 130 km. When I made the 33 cities assumption (https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... EFOwzv7WgY from http://www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4058), I took into account a minimum of 100 km between cities. Even then, some might be considered scenery. And even then, you would have huge distances between cities (central Spain) and small scenery cities could be added (that's what third tier cities are for).

For example, between Bilbao and Santander they 100 km apart. Maybe a bit close. But then, between Santander and Gijon it's 200 and between Santander and Palencia the same. Santander-Torrelavega is 402,000 inhabitants, too large to be ignored. And there's plenty of space to build it (300 between Bilbao and Gijón, 200 to Palencia)

Also, I think the density map Leillo gave gives an idea whether a corridor is dense or not. Like the Ebro river, Catalonia or the basque Country
i think that linares is better than la carolina

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information