Faroe Islands and Iceland Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
Vladzz-G
Developer

14 May 2014 15:21

Chrischrill wrote: If these road signs are correct, you can base your Icelandic signs on Sweden to a great extent. They look so similar.
No, they are not very similar.
One of the reasons is that, that Sweden uses "Tratex" font, but Iceland uses the same font, as UK ("Transport"). Fonts in Sweden and Iceland are different.
And also directions signs are different, and some other nuances.

I think, there need MandelSoft's help to look at these signs, as he knows better about signs. :D ...and maybe make some icelandic signs prototypes, if necessary. ;)

And Chrischrill, did you know that fact, that Greece also uses signs, similar to swedish one (I mean, signs with yellow background), but there also have some nuances of differences. :D ;)
ETS2 HQ: Balvi (LV)
ETS2 truck license plate: NI-7211
ATS HQ: San Francisko (California)
ATS truck license plate: VP96851

Main developer of Baltic merge project
Main developer of Finland project

Chrischrill
Donation rank:

14 May 2014 15:34

Eh, I still think they look uncannily familiar. :P I did not look at the name signs, only the signs for roads turning and such. I noticed the road crossing in Iceland had a yellow background where the Swedish is white. Other than that, most "warning" signs are very closely related.
Commonly known as Chrill on the Internet.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

14 May 2014 15:40

The "very close" relation is not as close as you may think. In fact, the majority European signs are quite closely related in style, only with some difference at first glance with the choice of white or yellow backgrounds (Poland even uses a mix). If you look closely, you see differences. Different fonts, different symbol styles, different thickness of the edge, etc. For instance, compare these two:

Sweden:

Iceland:

Note that the symbols are in a different art style. We note these subtle differences ;)

Best,
MandelSoft
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Chrischrill
Donation rank:

14 May 2014 15:43

A keen eye indeed. I rest my case :lol:
Commonly known as Chrill on the Internet.

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

14 May 2014 19:15

The car is also more of a VW Golf MK1 shape than say, the top one, umm... There are no cars that shape... Maybe an old Skoda :lol:

Edit: Zastava! lol

Extra more important edit: Purno, I didn't see your images yesterday because I typed my message at the same time as yours... But congrats! The quarry road is already looking interesting.

Slash
Donation rank:

14 May 2014 19:55

Wow I really like how your team`s growing!
I`m also looking forward to this project with complete different scenery! (just wondering bout how/if you`ll implement also snow instead of rain an perhaps physics)
Keep up your amazing work! :)

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

15 May 2014 00:07

Wow! There is really a need for a sign saying "Don't Drive Over the Cliff"??? :lol:
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

15 May 2014 00:38

n4gix.bill.leaming wrote:Wow! There is really a need for a sign saying "Don't Drive Over the Cliff"??? :lol:
It's a sign indicating there are no barriers to stop you driving into a nearby river/canal/dock... living in Antwerp and occasionally working in the harbour, I can tell you: it focuses the mind on a dark night. 3 years ago 5 workers drowned driving around Rotterdam harbour looking for the place they were supposed to work at, they must have missed the Dutch equivalent of this sign, because they went in the drink and didn't manage to escape their van. :cry:
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

Purno
Donation rank:

15 May 2014 06:14

uk_daf_fan wrote:Extra more important edit: Purno, I didn't see your images yesterday because I typed my message at the same time as yours... But congrats! The quarry road is already looking interesting.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Unfortunately my evenings are short, and yesterday I only had 30 minutes of editing time. I have great plans, but it'll take a few more evenings before I can make them reality :)

I'll keep all of you informed of my progress. Feedback is welcome :)

Purno
Donation rank:

15 May 2014 09:40

Added a new part to the first post, since the map URL was shared anyways in my research topic:
Purno wrote:I'm keeping a Google Maps map for planning, brainstorming, information keeping, etcetera. I'll keep updating this map, but nothing on this map should be considered final. As for my color coding;
  • Red is the main road and the biggest town. It'll make little sense to make Iceland without these. I'll probably include this stuff, one way or another.
  • Black are secondary roads I currently plan to include, and any industries or other facilities. This will likely change, but is my current plan of action.
  • Yellow is anything that could be taken into consideration. I'll leave the options open for these. I may build crossings so it's possible to connect a road later, for example. But it's very well possible these things will never be made.
This should answer most questions for those who were still visiting the map because of my research topic.

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information