Faroe Islands and Iceland Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
SweetErin

13 May 2014 18:38

Wolfpig wrote:
sw3gameboy wrote:Iceland in ETS2!? :o Wow good luck with the project Purno :D
The question is, how will you get onto island....as far as wiki says there is only 1 ferry which carrys cars...and i guess that excludes trucks with cargo (who would send a truck with the cargo there, when they only can ship the cargo....). ^^
I did find that there's at least one ferry that takes trailers between the continent and iceland, so it's not a big stretch of reality to send trucks with them (although it takes a lot longer than the 46 hours the car one does, and it stops at the Faroe Islands on the way over)

krani75i

13 May 2014 18:46

Seydisfjordur is the town the ferry goes to.

krani75i

13 May 2014 18:49

You really don't need all of the signs you found if the map is mostly rout 1, Reykjavik and Akureyri

BarrGDA
Donation rank:

13 May 2014 19:03

While Iceland is a nice idea, I'm a little bit skeptical about this development.

Although I do not have a thousand forum posts, I have followed Promods since the very beginning, and while I really love and appreciate the work you guys are doing, don't get me wrong, I think you should be taking the opposite direction. Perhaps, you should consider going into Slovenia, Croatia, Greece or perhaps improving and expanding Austria. Iceland should not be a priority over areas down south. While this was originally a Scandinavian mod, I believe the concept has changed to expand Europe, and not simply Scandinavia. Iceland may be interesting to explore with a unique landscape, but there's a single main road in Iceland, and I don't think there would be much freight road traffic in that country - unless there is, then I apologize, and I take this back (I know that Smyril Line links a ferry with Iceland (or did) so that's fine).

If there's a reason for not doing this, i.e. SCS can't make their mind up over that area, than take my comment back again. But Iceland to me seems like North Africa in TSM. Screenshots are lovely; breaking up the monotony that we see on the current SCS map landscape, but I think priorities should be altered.

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

13 May 2014 19:06

There is a reason for doing this and it would be helpfull if Purno told us... O wait he did.... really??, where??.... maybe it's written on the first page...

Let's see if I can quote it?
Purno wrote:When I told the devs I wanted to start mapmaking, they jokingly said "well, you wanted to do Iceland xD". And so it happened. Since Iceland is an island, it's a good project for someone who just started mapmaking. I'm new with the editor, but after a weekend of playing with some stuff there, it seems I'm picking it up rather quickly.
alright there you go ;)
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

ScuL
Founder

13 May 2014 19:09

Well Purno recently joined the team and is a resource that we didn't have before, so it doesn't really make a difference what is allocated to him because previously there was nothing :) Anything is better than nothing.

As for SLO/HR etc, I would love to add ex-Yu and they will come one day!
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

BarrGDA
Donation rank:

13 May 2014 19:14

Fair enough. Sorry if you took it as an offence Nico, I didn't mean that. I did read what Purno wrote, and I think I just misunderstood what he was trying to say. I just thought it would be better to go where I mentioned, rather than to Iceland first. But as you say...
Anything is better than nothing.
Certainly. Current screenshots look great.

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

13 May 2014 19:15

alright nps ;)
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

Purno
Donation rank:

14 May 2014 06:01

krani75i wrote:Seydisfjordur is the town the ferry goes to.

You really don't need all of the signs you found if the map is mostly rout 1, Reykjavik and Akureyri
Ah, it's good to have a real Icelander here. Any help with finding info is appreciated! And it's good to have someone who has seen Iceland with his very own eyes :)
HighFlyerPL185 wrote:While Iceland is a nice idea, I'm a little bit skeptical about this development.
Oh I understand your opinion about priorities. Iceland wouldn't have had any priority at all, but it's a nice project for someone who just started map-editing. I can safely screw things up in Iceland without ruining someone else's work.

And Iceland does have road transport. As researched in the topic I linked to, there's no notable railroads in Iceland, so any transport needs to be done over road. Iceland has a huge export of aluminium, so that needs to be shipped off the island. And the landscape is quite different than the current part of Europe.

Chrischrill
Donation rank:

14 May 2014 15:06

Vladzz-G wrote:I have seen some icelandic signs in higher quality on Wikipedia.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildtafel_ ... _in_Island

I'm very pleasant to see even Iceland in ETS2. :)
Good luck! ;)

P.S. Don't forget to put some volcanoes and snowy weather in some places in Iceland. :D
If these road signs are correct, you can base your Icelandic signs on Sweden to a great extent. They look so similar.
Commonly known as Chrill on the Internet.

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information