Some say, that you are able to do this ProMods map-exercise

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
M95

06 Jun 2015 11:02

Some say, he has driven Dunsfold airfield in ProMods , even when it isn't available, and got a 200% exploration on the map. All we know
he's called the stig.

Dunsfold airfield. For those who know the former TV-show Top-Gear this is famous ground. It is he famous Top-Gear test track which is
located on dunsfold Airfield.

We already have a test circuit in the game, namely the Scania track in Södertälje (It will be merged in the Scandinavia merge project).

Since the UK haven't been rebuilded that much this would be a nice opportunity to show your mapping skills and maybe get some feedback on
your work.

So what is the idea? We give you the opportunity to show your mapping skills with a kind of exercise. The exercise is, make a replication
of Dunsfold Airfield and create at least one acces road to it using the latest ProMods map (and assets) as a base.
______

How to create your map archive:
In the 2nd tutarial how to pack files you've learned how SCS files work. Haven't seen that? Please go there to read that first.

1. Load all 3 ProMods files (def, promods and map file)
2. Go to the editor, do not modify anything, save inmediately when the editor is loaded.
3. Close the editor
4. Create a new SCS file only containing a map folder, go to that map folder in your SCS file and load both the europe.mbd and the europe
folder in it.
5. Already given the SCS file a name? please call it zz-dunsfold-<yourname>.scs
6. Hop into the editor again, make your modifications and save. Afterwards inmediately load the modificated sectors into your map/europe
folder in the SCS file.
7. Next time modding, repeat the cyclus from step 6

IMPORTANT:
Once you want to share you file ONLY upload your dunsfold file and not all the files containing the ProMods assets. You may use them but
not redistribute them, that means your map ONLY works with ProMods.

Also please investigate which sectors you've used exactly. Put them apart, go in your SCS file to map/ europe, delete all files and only
add the files from the sectors you've modified (the ones you just have seperated (otherwise it is a so-called dirty map). This also saves

some MB's or kb's when uploading which means your file is faster online.
______

Some tips, know your assets, by pressing F2 the item browser will open , DON'T GO TO THE PREFABS SECTION. The content browser as it is
called is the place where you can discover all the signs, buildings (model), hedges and railings (building).

Use streetview, this is something we also do when it is availabe (even on the track there's a streetview car, racing against the stig).

Do not only focus on the big parts (road layouts etc) also focus on the smaller details (like signs and power lines, railings etc.)
______
Google images: https://www.google.com/search?q=dunsfol ... 0&bih=1089

Google streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dunsf ... eb!6m1!1e1

Google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dunsf ... 91ab36c8eb

Good luck!

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

07 Jun 2015 04:08

I will give a shot at this. Hopefully it will be done in a day or two (or three) :D
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

Eryman
Developer

07 Jun 2015 04:23

M95 wrote:Some tips, know your assets, by pressing F2 the item browser will open , DON'T GO TO THE PREFABS SECTION.
So we can't use any prefab?

The brazilian guy of ProMods

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

07 Jun 2015 04:52

You can, but you can't preview the prefabs in the Item Browser because promods has encrypted them, causing the game to crash.

... or something like that

M95

07 Jun 2015 20:08

Eryman wrote:
M95 wrote:Some tips, know your assets, by pressing F2 the item browser will open , DON'T GO TO THE PREFABS SECTION.
So we can't use any prefab?
penguinaz wrote:You can, but you can't preview the prefabs in the Item Browser because promods has encrypted them, causing the game to crash.

... or something like that
You can indeed add new prefabs by pressing 2 and then e. Not via the content browser since the game will crash. You can see the prefabs while scolling but not that fast as in the browser

M95

07 Jun 2015 20:11

penguinaz wrote:I will give a shot at this. Hopefully it will be done in a day or two (or three) :D
Take your time as long as you need. That's why I created a challenge which is not so big. Patience is very important to get things done nicely and with detail. We also take our time to finish projects for the detail.

And always when you think it is done compare it to google maps and ask yourself, am I happy with what I've done yet,or can I still add some details?

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

08 Jun 2015 01:34

I'm not sure what to use for the Runways, a 3-lane highway is the best size, but how do I remove the lines from it

M95

08 Jun 2015 06:53

penguinaz wrote:I'm not sure what to use for the Runways, a 3-lane highway is the best size, but how do I remove the lines from it
It is not really neccesary to have all the runway in the minimap, what you can do is go to the model section (4) and go for the asphalt ground plaza (don't know the exact name). With item propeties it is possible then to resise the whole thing (used it at many places in Bologna). In the buildingg and railing section (3) there's also a pack with lines available which allows you to make the runaway lines manually (and of course the circuit lines). And if you want to have the circuit visible on the map you can use a hw0 road (used at exits), deactivate ai traffic and ajust the height of it until it is under the asphalt model. Then there is a road saying the way how the circuit goes but ai is not visible (used this technique at the europabrucke Austria without ai disabled). And use some landscape elements around the runway. For that, go to road options, create a small piece of road and click the terrain radio in the right top corner. Then you can select the landscape type at the right column as you always do with your roads.

MistahDave
Donation rank:

09 Jun 2015 03:01

I really want to give this a try. I've read the tutorials and everything else, (maybe not fully understood it, but I try.) When you say to load all three promods files, load it how? In editor? Create a .scs file with them in? I'm confused already.

M95

09 Jun 2015 08:45

MistahDave wrote:I really want to give this a try. I've read the tutorials and everything else, (maybe not fully understood it, but I try.) When you say to load all three promods files, load it how? In editor? Create a .scs file with them in? I'm confused already.
Just put them in your mod folder, when entering the editor it should load all of our map, so the assets do.

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information