MidAmerica tour

Post your own screenshots & videos of our mods here
krigl

11 Apr 2024 07:12

The final trip of the Texas tour continues, with a drive from Plainview to and through Amarillo.

Passing the massive Grain Producers silo in Plainview. It was built to hide grain from bandits. People said 'why don't you hide it underground or in a building' but the farmers said 'That's too obvious. Sometimes the best place to hide something is in....'

North to Amarillo.

Silos rise majestically above the landscape, the cathedrals of the plains.

Cathedrals of the plains. Oh golly, that's dead poetic, isn't it?

Amarillo is the main attraction today. Just passing through, but there's lots still to see on the way.

Jobsiteland, probably.

Old church and relatively humble skyline.

The TV broadcasting centre and the city's centrepiece Golden Game Truck Company building.

The downtown looks a bit more impressive from this angle. The way through involves two one-way streets linked with plenty of narrow side roads - ideal terrain for exploration with a crawler tractor in tow.

Luckily the pavements aren't crowded with people. Nice mural. Are those cats fighting over a rabbit?

Looks like a superhero rabbit attacking a demonic dog and cat. Must be a pet shop. Great to see art reproduced like this.

SCS are rightly quite proud of Amarillo - it has a lot of personality which you don't see if you don't take the north-south route through it and explore a bit. So there's a video point. I didn't get another picture of this fine brick edifice, so it'll have to be this one with the 'Press ESC to skip cutscene' text which totally unnecessarily appears on all screenshots taken in 'video mode' even when you can't see the writing on screen. You can crop it out, but in this case it would have cropped half the truck. Whatever.

Construction work, with a guy shifting uncomfortably as he waits for a colleague to get out of the portaloo.

Another view of the TV station. Need to turn right twice now and head back northwards once more. It's a little strange that the one-way streets are on opposite sides to where they should be - they cross over each other at either end of the downtown, so you are always driving on the left-hand road whether you're going north or south. The other road is a block away, so it doesn't feel strange, but why have them cross over each other at each end in the first place? No doubt there's a good reason for it, and it adds to the personality of the city.

Another side street.

At the northern end, the road dips under the railway lines.

Suburban housing north of the downtown area.

Shabby part of town. Don't much feel like staying there. Not when I have my palatial sleeper cab. With microwave.

Turning to double back onto the southbound one-way road.

Heading back into town, the road goes over, not under, the railway.
Very nice place, Amarillo. We'll leave it behind and head to Dalhart in the penultimate set of the tour next time.
Cheers! Krigl

krigl

11 Apr 2024 21:21

Penultimate part of the Texas tour this time - Amarillo to Dalhart.

Amarillo trains.

Would love to be a has been, too late to be a will be. Ah well.

This time we really are leaving to the north.

Back on the 'right side of the street', but not yet connected.

There's one more settlement before Dalhart - it's called Dumas. Approaching it now.

Away from the Flock.

The Flock.

Arriving in Dumas.

Local bank stocking up on cash.

Haven't seen one of these takeouts for a while.

At Dumas we finally stop heading north - the last stretch is due west, and then northwest.

Just west of Dumas.

It's a tiny hop from Dumas to Dalhart.

This bus pulled out from the right, forcing me to brake sharply.

Arriving in Dalhart, the destination for this crawler tractor.
The Texas tour ends next time. Cheers! Krigl

krigl

12 Apr 2024 16:01

Finishing the Texas tour today with a delivery in Dalhart. And, I get a new truck and set off to Texoma in preparation for touring Oklahoma in a few weeks' time.

Arriving with my spiffy rig in Dalhart, the first city I visited in Texas back in June 2023 when I started this megatour.

I haven't just been touring Texas between then and now of course. I also toured the similarly massive ProMods' region of Finland, Sweden and Norway, plus there was the Winterland event and some faffing around with a new ATS profile trying to take the game slightly more seriously. Lots of driving, lots of screenshots, lots of posts...

It's been around 10 months though since I started Texas, and I'm beginning to feel like I practically live there. I've posted 133 sets of screenshots, most of which were 26 screenshots long, lately 25. So approximately 133 x 25.5 = 3400 images of the state. That is, to put it mildly, a lot. There are some who, perhaps, might consider it excessive.

Well, anyhow, it's been a blast. Huge detailed DLC, plenty of variety, tons to see. Anyone who complained about its pricing needs to be smacked around the head, ideally with a long-handled shovel, as it's clearly worth the 20 euros or whatever it was. There's enough in the DLC for it to easily work as a stand-alone game. Except for the fact that it's not really a game as such, but putting that aside it's an incredible achievement for SCS.

I have to say, though, that was one long tour, and I'm glad to have finally reached the end, beautiful though many parts of the state are, including this region.

Time to wrap it up, then, and deliver this final cargo.

A final close-up of the mighty beast we've been driving with in Parts 5 and 6.

Here we are, the final delivery.

Enjoy your crawler tractor, O denizens of Dalhart. What now?

Well, I'm going to do the first half of a tour of the Italy DLC in my main thread, and return here to tour Oklahoma hopefully within a month. I have a few 'spare shots' out of the 25 I usually post, so I decided to fire up the 1.50 experimental beta, buy the truck I'll be using for Oklahoma, get a cargo and set off on my way to Texoma, which lies on the state line. Here's my first shot in 1.50, of a train running by the very same jobsite I just dropped off the crawler tractor at.

It happened to be the only place with a job actually going to Guymon, our first port of call in Oklahoma. It's also nice and dusty, and you can immediately see the difference between how dust is rendered in 1.50, and how it was in 1.49, seen in the previous couple of shots.

Can you guess what we're carrying? Potatoes! I feel like dragging them all the way to Idaho, tipping them out onto the ground in front of the Capitol in Boise and yelling ''Look! Potatoes! I toured your whole state and didn't get to haul Potatoes (46,060 lb) once! Call yourselves the potato capital of America??!!''

But I shall refrain from such indelicate behaviour and just haul them to Guymon like a good boy.

Rest stop close to the state line. There are maybe 10 roads crossing the border between Oklahoma and Texas, so we'll be back, albeit briefly, quite a few times during the next tour.

Approaching Texoma. According to Wikipedia, Texoma is a whole region (the bit of Texas close to Oklahoma, possibly extending all the way from here to Fort Worth) rather than a town, but perhaps it also exists as a town too. Not sure, and I'm in a hurry now, so not going to check.

First view of Texoma, looking good in 1.50. My last shot in this thread for a few weeks, I'll be posting back in my main thread hopefully on Monday. Thanks to all those who have taken the time to follow the tour!!! Krigl

Return to “Share the love”

• Information