FF2: Filling in the Suburbs

Post your own screenshots & videos of our mods here
krigl

04 Jan 2024 14:47

This set features a misty delivery from Liepaja in Latvia to the Arts Workshop in Winterland, along with a tense, emotive and gripping cliffhanger. Because that's what trucksim screenshots need.

Crossing the field to the jobsite through the mist, filled with foreboding.

Hitching up to precisely 22,146 kg of Christmas Fibre Stuffing as the rain endlessly falls.

Leaving the jobsite, I spot a bicycle precariously parked on the edge of a roof. This does not diminish my sense of unease.

Bars, bars everywhere! Like the bars of a cage or prison. Not the other kind of bar.

After hitching the trailer I’m rather wet, and chilled to the bone. This has to be the last job for Winterland, I must rest…

Suddenly, just outside Liepaja, a car looms out of the mist on my side of the road!! My numbed senses strive to react in time. I stamp on the brakes, and so does the other driver…

…but the road is slippery and we crash. Luckily, we weren’t going too fast, and damage was minimal. It left me badly shaken, though, which only added to my woes. Not only that, a bunch of things flew around the cab, including my prize castanets, a souvenir from my first trip from Winterland to Valladolid. I retrieved most of the things from the cab floor, but the castanets with their crudely painted flamenco dancers were inexplicably gone.

Continued on the journey to the portal with a heavy heart.

Nearly there.

Made it. Final trip, I hope.

As soon as we arrived I felt something was very wrong. Dizziness, strangely warped vision. It was like being in a fishbowl.

This is not good!

Whooooaaaaaaa…..

Suddenly I realized that I was looking down at my seat, and there was NOTHING THERE. Like I’m just some disembodied consciousness.

Even though it was freaking me out, I kept staring at my seat, as at least it provided a point of stability.

It was hard to drive, and the journey through the darkness seemed endless.

At last we arrived at Rudolph’s Crafts. Everything was slowly spinning around me, it seemed. The local people, or are they elves? The building, the trees…

Buzzing blackness rose in my mind…

…and then I fell to the ground and smacked my head.

I was woken by a large, kindly, white-bearded old man in red pouring warm mulled wine into my throat. “It appears you’ve been pushing yourself too hard, son,” he said. I instinctively felt I could trust him: “Am I trapped here? Is Winterland evil?” “No, my son, of course not. There’s nothing wrong with Winterland. But there’s something very wrong with you. Go home, go home and rest.” “But I can’t find my way.” “Reach out, and you shall find it!” With that, he pushed me up into the cab, belted me in and sent me on my way to the nearest portal. And off I went once more through the night.

The mulled wine quickly wore off and I could feel myself fading. No idea what he meant by ‘reach out’, but I searched once more for happy thoughts and tried to imagine my happy childhood Christmases and the stories my parents used to tell about their own happy times.

I must have been imagining this pretty well, because the voices seemed to get louder, and started to talk about things I couldn’t even remember, like my mum going with her parents to release Chinese lanterns and watch them fly into the air.

‘’Mum...? Dad....? Is that you??’

…but no answer came. I realized I wanted to get home more than anything in the world, and put my foot down. Soon we were near the portal. But we never reached it. My parents' voices sounded like they were coming from right behind me, like they were sitting on the bed in the cab, though I couldn't see them in the mirror. I simply had to look around.

At that moment, I lost control of the truck, came off the road into a snowdrift, and smacked my head once more, and then there was nothing.
Krigl

krigl

05 Jan 2024 15:56

Well... after the severely dramatic previous episode of this strange tour, one might be forgiven for thinking that it's the end of the road for my ETS2 'trucker profile', but luckily that's not the case. Today is not that day. We're travelling through the winter snows from Salzburg to Graz and then Maribor this time.

Crashing into the snowdrift while attempting to find my way out of Winterland did not end this virtual trucker persona's virtual life, but ended up catapulting me back to my bedroom in Innsbruck, where I lay for goodness knows how long, regaining my strength. When I finally awoke, I felt like I'd been sleeping for months... yet at the same time somehow better. I thought I could hear the breakfast things clinking downstairs, and although no one was there when I went down, it seemed that I caught snatches of my parents' voices coming from elsewhere in the house and I didn't really mind, it felt like there were people there and I was no longer alone. I'd never heard such things ever since this strange episode started, and indeed had never even tried to hear them, or wondered why... Something had changed, and seemingly for the better.

Checking my truck revealed no damage from the two collisions on my last trip, but no castanets either - they were simply gone. Yet my bank balance had changed once more... but my fuel tank was still full. I've grown resigned to the fact that this whole thing is one long, wierd dream. Well okay then. I went back to my dream job, and all through the dreary time of late autumn and into the first snows of early winter I did plenty of hauling. This set shows the last trip I made before I was invited back to Winterland again.

Here we are leaving Salzburg at sunup.

Not sure what this lake is. My best guess is the Mondsee.

Rest 'station' up ahead.

Chilling out for a while. Literally.

Beautiful views to be had in Austria these days. Feeling a lot better than I was, and no longer particularly missing Winterland, though it would be nice to go back as there are parts I still haven't seen.

If this is all one big dream, then no doubt the call will come once more. They are obviously in need of truckers over there.

Pulled in at the side of the road, possibly illegally, to get this shot.

A slight tinge of green brings an unpleasant message - Grimes' snowy winter mod is still suffering from strangely coloured patches, particularly green. From what I've read, the situation is currently unsolvable. I think it started when SCS started using 'brushes' to add textures or vegetation or something to terrain. I definitely remember a time when Grimes' snow was simply white.

Entering Graz. It really is quite unfortunate, as while the mod is usable for making 'snowy screenshots', it's borderline unusable for simulating winter driving, as the green in particular can sometimes be almost everywhere, like when the Cat in the Hat turned the snow pink, except this time the CITH was replaced by Shrek.

Delivery complete! I feel bad for Grimes, because he's been keeping his mods up to date for years, and seems an eminently reliable and all-round solid guy. And there's no solution on the horizon. I very much doubt Winterland is a 'technology demonstrator' for creating an ETS2-wide 'Snow DLC', though I'd gladly pay 30 Euros for such a thing. But it might be that SCS are planning to make northern Scandinavia snowy rather like ProMods have done with Iceland. While I'd prefer to have the choice about switching snow on and off, I have to say it would be pretty awesome to have a part of the map with winter conditions. It seems unlikely that Winterland is 'just' an Xmas present. But who knows. Keeping my expectations in this area low to avoid disappointment.

Anyhow, in Graz I felt rather drowsy and, having no work planned, dozed off in a layby. Unexpectedly, the M.A.N. dream returned, and there I was right in the cab ready to go. So I did. My job-finder app requested my presence over the border in Maribor, Slovenia so we spliced the mainbrace (with black coffee, no rum, of course) and set sail.

Passing through Graz's refurbished centre.

Heading into Slovenia about now, I think.

Green, yep. Unfortunately, can't really be mistaken for grass poking through the snow.

Maribor.

We're going to be hauling Christmas Butter Milk to the Chocolate Factory. I can hardly wait! Just like the big red man said, what I needed was a good rest, and now I'm back in the game.

However, I don't want to push things too far. There's a generous time limit on the cargo, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow morning.

Time for an early night.
Krigl

krigl

05 Jan 2024 17:13

In this set - Winterland called, and I answered. Christmas Butter Milk to the Chocolate Factory.

Early to bed, early to rise. Time to leave Maribor - but not before picking up those 22,146 kilos of buttermilk.

22, 146 kilos. I didn't even have to look that up, it's carved into my memory as if by a shard of obsidian the colour of darkest night. It is to Winterland what 16 is to NMS.

When it's not being all green, Grimes' snowy winter mod adds just as much atmosphere as his other mods. In a game where the gameplay primarily consists of chilling while driving through scenery, seasonal textures are a massive bonus, making familiar locations look very different and more pleasant to revisit. The result is not perfect, nor should one expect it to be given the vast array of textures and assets present in the game. But for a one-man effort it's amazing. A toast to the man!!!

A short drive through the darkness and we reach the petrol station that plays host to Winterland's mysterious glittering portal.

And here it is, not that you'd know it from these two lads, who seem distinctly unimpressed.

Hey ho, and away we go, to Winterlaaand...

Pnooom. We're here once more, and again it's dark. I've seen it in darkness and fog, and at sunset. Is it ever daytime here, I wonder? Sure, the many lights would not sparkle so brightly, but the mountains and meadows I'm planning to visit to the east of this land would look much... clearer... in daylight.

I think I'm going to try to spend the night here and see. There are no rest stops... no places to sleep... but I can forward the time using the console. Between external jobs, just to be sure. Don't want to mess something up.

Got out for a quick look at this charming hamlet.

Alas, poor Yorick...

Nearing the Chocolate Factory, we pass the station. Any chance of a train? Perhaps I can watch it pass by from the platform? It never seems to stop... well, this isn't Train Simulator, after all.

High on mince pies and sherry, the waiting passengers simply laugh as another express sails by. What a magnificent creation this train is, though. Just look at that!

That's why it doesn't stop, it's the Inter Express, always between stations.

The air is laden with the rich scent of dark, creamy chocolate as we arrive at Marigolds.

Tis but a scratch! No, my friend, tis buttermilk.

Then we headed into the city to look for a hotel.

Red phone boxes. Nice to see the UK get some love in Winterland at least...

I think there was a hotel around here.

Yep, the Hotel Shogun. Now I'm imagining Santa Claus... as a samurai. He bars the door to KFC restaurants in Kyoto and Osaka, and indeed all across the land of the Rising Sun, refusing to let children in for their traditional greasy Christmas chicken bucket until they've admitted to being naughty or nice, and the air is pink with sakura petals as they fall into the snow all around...

Okay, it's mid-morning, and this is... daylight? I guess. We must be close to the Arctic Circle. Had a Shogun Special Japanese Breakfast - rice, miso soup, seaweed, salmon, whilst being serenaded by Soft Sounds from Another Planet. Then we set of on our trek to the mountains of Winterland.

Leaving town to the east requires crossing this nice little bridge.

This mansion stands to the side of the road, which is already starting to get steeper. Looks like my investment into a better engine wasn't wasted, then.
We'll get to the Mountain Resort next time.
Krigl

krigl

06 Jan 2024 14:56

Today - a drive to catch the early sunset at Winterland's beautiful Mountain Resort.

Steep snowy terrain lies between us and the resort, as expected.

Looking back. Didn't get turned into a pillar of salt, oof.

Sunrise or sunset?

Picturesque scene follows picturesque scene. It would be lovely to have at least a BIT of full daylight in Winterland, even if it's just for a couple of hours. I also tried to force snow with Grimes' mod enabled, but 'precipitation' only brings fog. Well, never mind.

Ah, the eastern mountains.

These meadows at... midset (?) have a Swiss vibe.

Approaching the resort between steep-sided banks of snow.

And here it is, with the sky starting to glow - we're just in time for...

...sunset! Would you look at that?

Mountain Resort.

The Spa Hotel. Must have nice views from the windows, but we're not going to stay there today. Let's try and find our own view. There's a hill nearby with what seems to be an old ski-lift cabin on it.

Snowy Peaks Market. Packed with goodies, I'm sure. And the mountains rising majestically behind.

The viewpoint. What colours!!

Reached the top. As I was gazing at the view I heard a voice saying... 'Activity is off the scale. I think he's coming back to us.' What's that supposed to mean? Who was it? Not one of my parents.

My head was full of questions as I watched the glorious sunset.

Then my mobile beeped - a job was available. To Romania! Well, I'm not going to let a chance like that pass me by.

If Winterland still needs my services, I'm ready to oblige.

Ready to convey approx. 22 tons of Mountain Fun Gift Packs to an industrial estate in snowbound Cluj-Napoca. Built these snowmen while the elves / gnomes were loading. They insisted.

Off we go, mind alive with all the beauty I've seen.

The portal lies ahead, but that journey shall have to wait till next time.
Cheers! Krigl

krigl

08 Jan 2024 09:44

This time we make our way to Cluj-Napoca, Romania, from the Mountain Resort in Winterland.

Still driving to the portal.

That train again.

The bridge by the portal.

Took in the lovely view, then pressed the magic button...

...and suddenly we were in a petrol station car park in Romania.

This place has an altogether different vibe.

Cluj-Napoca is nearby.

Arrival - passing the airport.

Wow, the weather's got miserable all of a sudden.

That cathedral is visible all over Cluj.

Delivered. Looks like this town could really do with the Mountain Fun Packs I was carrying, so job well done.

One more job back to Winterland would be nice, and the nearby town of Targu Mures may be able to furnish me with such a thing. But I'm going to turn in for the night here in Cluj - again, don't want to push my luck and tire myself out.

Is this supposed to be the Dormition of the Theotokos Orthodox cathedral? Because if it is, this rendition is a bit, well, crap. The Black Sea DLC is from 2019, I think. I thought SCS had moved on to accurate renditions of landmarks by that time. But maybe not in all cases? Or perhaps its a different building altogether, of course...

Found somewhere to park up for the night.

Nice shiny AI truck next door.

Went out to a restaurant for a delicious chicken ostropel, came back at sundown and went straight to sleep.

The sound of a plane landing at the nearby airport woke me at night. Went out for a wee, the cold chilled me to the bone.

Interesting how the same place can look so totally different...

...yet still miserably cold. Sandwiches for breakfast, could be better on a day like today.

Quick snap of the airport before we set off for Targu Mures.... next time.
Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 09 Jan 2024 16:28, edited 2 times in total.

krigl

09 Jan 2024 16:26

Driving in Romania today - from Cluj-Napoca to Targu Mures.

Awoke feeling refreshed to a lovely sunny winter's day.

Really nice graphics and colours at this jobsite. Goes well with the blue sky and snow.

Approaching Cluj from the industrial estate.

Out of Cluj and heading across country.

A beautiful, bright day indeed, filled with the promise of spring, perhaps.

Dashing through a village.

Prancing over a highway bridge.

We've reached Targu Mures.

Time to deliver these Christmas... no, not Christmas, just plain old IBC containers. The Christmas job's tomorrow.

Do what thy will with thine containers, it's out of my hands. Off to find a place to sleep.

That night I dream of familiar voices, of a sun rising over familiar mountains, and I awaken full of vim and vigour. We skip over to the pick-up point like monochrome 1930s children chasing a hoop in short trousers to get some Christmas Fine Flour for the Chocolate Factory. 22,146 kg you say? I can do that. Yes siree!

Exiting Targu Mures for the portal.

Prepare to meet thy...

Pnoom! And we're back in Winterland.

Greyness closes in all around as we approach the Chocolate Factory, but I no longer fear it, I am fizzing, bouncing, buzzing...

We park up at Marigolds with stylish verve and I decide to take another ride to the Mountain Village... perhaps if I sleep there I will find a clear day at last?
Krigl

krigl

12 Jan 2024 21:34

Well, I took the truck over to the Mountain Village through the fog...

...and rented a room at the Spa Hotel, hoping to wake up the next day and see some blue skies. And indeed I did, but not in Winterland...

It was back in Innsbruck, in a white room filled with sunlight, various tubes and fittings, and my parents at my side. And some junior doctors with clipboards staring at me. My long dream had ended.

However, this stunningly original, not-at-all cliched story hasn't. Not quite. Well, my parents told me that I'd been doing a quick job out near Salzburg and an AI car had driven out in front of me. I'd swerved, lost control and rolled down a steep bank into a field. They'd had to cut me out and bring me to hospital by helicopter. They'd manage to patch my body up, but I'd been in a coma for about 9 months. My parents had taken turns to sleep in the room with me at nights, talked to me... sometimes things had looked hopeful, but eventually I'd started fading. The doctor's had tried something new... and it had worked. I was back, and many a tear of joy was shed.

I had to remain in the hospital for a while, of course, and winter turned to spring. As I was getting my strength back, I told my parents of my dreams... how real it had seemed, how real it all felt. There was plenty of time, so I gave them all the details. It was really hard for me to grasp that I didn't actually have a truck any more. I'd never actually bought one. Only in my dreams. But otherwise my strength slowly returned, and I was looking forward to getting out there again, doing quick jobs, building up my finances... I also felt sad that Winterland was just a place inside my head, and one which I would never see again. On the other hand, I was overjoyed to have a family once more. Happy times, mostly.

Eventually, the last day in hospital arrived. Off home tomorrow!! It was hard to get to sleep that night, I was filled with excitement. But when I did the dream returned... 'M.A.N.... M.A.N... Magic At Night...' the ghostly voice intoned, 'Twelve out of Fifteen' it crooned, and I knew that Winterland wasn't done with me yet. I got out of bed and walked down the hospital hallways. The friendly staff waved, and I smiled back. I walked out of the lobby into the street, and jogged through the pre-dawn darkness to the garage...

... and there it was. My truck. I found the door open, the key in the ignition. Well alright, I said, and checked my app. The Winterland job was from Zurich. Well, let's see if we can't find something going over there then, I thought. Might as well.

Giant spools of red plastic piping!! Let's do this!

It was a gloomy dawn as we exited Innsbruck and headed westwards.

I wondered casually if I hadn't slipped back into a coma, but then put it out of my mind. It's been weeks since I woke up, and I was healthy enough to be discharged. It must just be a dream this time.

Abruptly, there was some kind of quantum shift in the weather, and sunlight flooded the scene.

Decided to stop for a bit and enjoy the view with a nice mug of coffee.

Approaching Bregenz on the border.

The clouds returned as we entered Bregenz. Or perhaps it was just a darker flavour of clear.

We crossed one river - and thirty seconds later...

...we crossed another. Clearly we're now in Switzerland. Pre-rework.

Arriving in Zurich.

And we're done. So. Where's the Winterland job then?

Right here, same place, same time. The sun returned to celebrate. We're pulling Christmas Handmade Gifts - from Zurich to Winterland's Town Square. Isn't that a bit like taking the proverbial coals to Newcastle? Or corduroy to Manchester?

Apologies for the slew of decidedly plebeian shots: just taking a moment to savour the last trip I'll be making in pre-rework Switzerland. The new version looks amazing!!

We return to Winterland next time.
Krigl

krigl

12 Jan 2024 22:55

This time we drive from the Swiss-French border to picturesque Northstar in Winterland.

Approaching the border with France.

And there they are - the sparkles, on both sides of the road for maximum convenience.

Tzing!!! Pling!!

And we're back. I have to admit, I hadn't been expecting to return.

The sky is actually relatively bright for once.

Christmas Gifts supplied, my phone beeped. I'm wanted at the Post Office in Northstar.

It's the last location I haven't visited, so we hurried north as fast as our little wheels would take us.

Of course, we weren't in so much of a hurry that we couldn't stop for a photo op.

We're going the right way.

Nearing Northstar, the road forked, the right fork leading downhill. Decided to check it out. Might not have the chance again.

It led down to a charming cottage at the water's edge.

I did not reverse into that snowman, scout's honour.

Their boat, I take it. Very nice!

And that must be Northstar across the frozen lake.

Myriad Chinese lanterns fill the evening air. A magical sight!

We must press on to Northstar.

It's just as cosy and pretty as I knew it would be.

I'm off to buy a hat tomorrow so that I can eat it on the off-chance that this is not a trial run for SCS northern Scandinavia.

No, Krigl, no! Keep your expectations under control!

Northstar Post Office. I went in to enquire about jobs and bumped into a familiar large gentleman in red. ''Oh, it's you again!' he said. 'Ho ho ho. Feeling better, I hope? Back from the dead, as it were, right?' I told him about being reunited with my family, and my joy that they'd cared enough to stay with me while I languished in hospital, and he said 'Well, in that case, you'd better do what all good little boys and girls do when they get a present. Write them a thank you letter. You are a good boy, aren't you?' Well, I suppose I am, so I got a pen, paper and envelope from a clerk and sat down and wrote something heartfelt. I'd just finished and licked the envelope when I heard the haunting moan of the Winter Express. Quickly putting the letter in my pocket, I dashed outside onto the Post Office's railway platform to watch it pass.

Next time - We journey to the south of Spain, but not before enjoying something particularly special that Northstar has to offer.
Thanks for looking in! Krigl

krigl

13 Jan 2024 14:05

In this set we drive from Northstar in Winterland to Malaga in Spain. And, I take my truck ice skating.

After watching the mournfully hooting train vanish into the distant mountains, I remember that I should be doing something. Hauling. There's a job to be done - Mail and Gift Parcels to Malaga in the sunkissed south of Spain. Cargo weight: 2 __ , 1 __ __ kg. Can you fill in the gaps? Another train steams by as we prepare to leave.

Goodbye Northstar! Not sure if we'll ever be back.

There are a couple of stretches of road between Northstar and the Mountain Resort which I haven't seen yet, so I decided to make my way over to the resort before doubling back to the portal that lies between them. Not far outside Northstar there's a road heading northish towards the lake. It's driveable, so I detatched from the trailer and went to explore.

Whoa! What's this?

Ice! And it's very thick. Thick enough for my truck? It must be. It's a dream after all. What could go wrong that can't be made right by waking up in bed terrified, quivering and drenched in cold sweat?

Turns out it was, and we drove across the lake to Northstar! Awesome!!

It could have been even better if it weren't for the dark. Being mid-job on an external contract, I can't forward the time, and there's nowhere to sleep.

Well, we'll just have to try and return by daylight, won't we.

Reached the Mountain Resort.

Doubled back.

Let's go!

Pyyonngggyyyaaannnngggg!! And we're in Spain!

'Sunkissed Spain', wasn't it? Riiight.

Making progress towards Malaga.

I doubt the weather ever gets much worse than this down in Malaga. Well, never mind. At least it's unlikely to rain here. Doesn't look much like a plain to me.

On the right track, it seems.

Malaga.

Entering the depot.

A bit tricky.

We made it. Next time - over to Cordoba and back to Winterland.
Have a good weekend! Krigl

krigl

13 Jan 2024 14:59

Our last ever job going to Winterland is to be taken from Cordoba, a city not far to the north of Malaga, Spain. Why deadhead it to Cordoba when we can haul something?

Hitched up to a trailer full of Used Plastics.

Leaving the Malaga depot.

Heading north.

Pulled in for a break. No sense in overdoing things - even in a dream.

Coffee still tastes good in this dream, anyhow.

Interesting bridge.

We've reached Cordoba.

This is the place that wants the used plastics.

And we're done. What will the last job for Winterland be, and most importantly, what will it weigh?

Well, it's Christmas Handmade Gifts, weighing a total of 17, 273 kg.

Only joking.

Driving back out of Cordoba. The portal seems to be at the place we rested at earlier.

Back over the bridge.

It's been nice having a second look at Spain, but it's time to go.

Ready??

And we're back in Winterland, for the last time.

Off we go to the Mountain Resort. One last set from Winterland next time.
Krigl

Return to “Share the love”

• Information