Research for Faroe Islands

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Purno
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2014 07:57

This is a bit of research for the Faroe Islands, and the possibilities for the Faroe Islands.

Facts

Size
The Faroe Islands are located roughly halfway between Norway and Iceland.
With 1,400km² of area, the Fareo Islands are roughly half the size of Luxembourg. Longest distances east-west is roughly 67km. Longest distance north-south on the main island is roughly 46km, and 105km if you include the islands south of Tórshavn.

Population
The Faroe Islands are a self-governing country within the Danish Realm. Population of the Faroe Islands is approx. 50,000, of which 19,000 live in the area of its capital, Tórshavn. Second largest town is Klasvík with 4,600 inhabitans, at 26km distance from Tórshavn (straight line). All other towns on the main islands are within 50km distance of Tórshavn.

Economy
13% of Faroe Island's income is economic aid from Danmark. Over 80% of the export is fish and fish-related products. 5% export is ships & boats.

Infrastructure
The infrastructure has developed a lot, 80% of the population is connected by tunnels though the mountains and between the islands, as well as bridges. The ferry between Iceland and Danmark visits Tórshavn, which is the only way of getting there besides airplanes.

Analyses

Size
The Faroe Islands are tiny, it'd be hard enough to fit Tórshavn in it. Adding a second town or any of the landscape will be near impossible, since the towns are simply too close to each other. The only advantage is that the Faroe Islands are completely surrounded by sea, which allows the mapper to make the island bigger than it really is. A slightly out-of-proportions Faroe Islands will probably go unnoticed, but even when made double-size, the country will be extremely small.

Population
People were already skeptical about Iceland, but the population numbers of the Faroe Islands are far worse. Tórshavn is the largest town with 19,000 citizens, and the population of the whole Faroe Islands fits into Reykjavík twice!

Economy
The fact that the Faroe Islands rely on Danish economic aid indicates that the Faroe Islands are the opposite of an economic powerhouse. As for transporation, it's probably pretty irrelevant, considering the European scale of ProMods. The fact that export pretty much exists only out of fish, this further limits the different companies that could be added. EuroGoodies is probably the only food-related ingame company. (Unless you want to use eAcres as fish-farm).

Infrastructure
A few small roads, that's pretty much all there is. To make things even worse, there's no other country close to the Faroe Islands. The only way to get on or off the islands is a very long ferry trip. And the ferry Iceland-Danmark takes a stop at Tórshavn, but it's the very same ferry. Thus it makes no sense to enforce drivers to transfer at Tórshavn.

Possibilities

Unfortunately, I see little possitibilities for the Faroe Islands. Tórshavn could fit in the map, but what purpose would that city serve? Adding companies to Tórshavn would mean any job from/to Tórshavn includes a long ferry time. And without companies, why would anyone take a stop at Tórshavn? Keeping Tórshavn small would perhaps allow a second village to be made, but even smaller than Tórshavn. But that still is pretty much nothing at all. Perhaps Tórshavn could be used as a stepping stone to Iceland. Jobs to Tórshavn would at least get drivers halfway the ocean. Perhaps the Faroe Islands could be used for some kind of easter egg?

Reasons to include Faroe Islands
  • A stepping stone to/from Iceland, cutting ferry times in half
  • Without the Faroe Islands, we can never say we have made every country in Eruope.
  • It's a small project.
  • There have been requests to add the Faroe Islands.
Reasons not to include Faroe Islands
  • It's irrelevant, both in size and economic importance.
  • It requires a new bunch of assets for a very tiny country (similar to Liechtenstein)
  • There's not enough space to provide enough services (companies, etc)
  • There's no Google Streetview.

rarespetrosanu

29 Aug 2014 08:01

My opinion - not to include Faroe Islands :)
A lot of countries are welcomed ;) and i expect some news about what the next version will include :)

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2014 09:52

To make this tricky, my opinion is to include the Faroe Islands.

Reasons:
- It would look and feel interesting to drive around.
- It wouldn't take too much intensive work. Technically you could just use some models from Iceland and make just one city (Tórshavn) and some added coast roads.
- You can brag about having every country in Europe in the mod eventually :lol:

Purno
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2014 09:57

uk_daf_fan wrote:- It would look and feel interesting to drive around.
Barely. There isn't any room to make interesting roads.
- It wouldn't take too much intensive work. Technically you could just use some models from Iceland and make just one city (Tórshavn) and some added coast roads.
Faroe Islands uses Icelandic traffic signs? :P
- You can brag about having every country in Europe in the mod eventually :lol:
Eventually yes. A lot of countries to do :P

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2014 10:11

Purno wrote:Faroe Islands uses Icelandic traffic signs? :P
You may have a point there... When I wrote that I was thinking more in terms of scenery, such as those house models.
Purno wrote:Barely. There isn't enough room to make interesting roads
Okay, so just give me a rough idea what would go into the city. I'm thinking just one EuroGoodies and a couple of small coast roads.

Another thing I forgot to add about ferries; you could give two options from the Danish ferry... Seyðisfjörður or Tórshavn, then from the Icelandic ferry you could go to Tórshavn or Hirtshals.

adgjl
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2014 10:30

This sounds like it could be a really cool Easter egg, but it would probably require too much work to have some players never even see it. I know promods made the model of Mont Saint-Michel for an Easter egg, which must have taken a long time, but a whole country (albeit a tiny one)?

Just to have it in the mod normally, it's a nice idea that I'd love to see, but I think promods has greater priorities at the moment. You could argue that while Iceland is being done, you might as well do the Faroe Islands though.

In the end it's up to you guys, if you want to do it it would be awesome, if you don't, I fully understand why :)
Bugs are love, bugs are life

stummer
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2014 10:40

I would skip the Faroe Islands. There's no important industry ... just green grass, sheeps and whaling.

And when you travel to Iceland by ferry, there's no need to "stop" on Faroe Islands to drive off a ferry just to enter the next one directly; you simply stay on board. And since the ferry is the only way to get to Iceland, its travel time is not important.

Purno
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2014 10:57

stummer wrote:And since the ferry is the only way to get to Iceland, its travel time is not important.
It may be important for job generation though. Not sure how the game handles that. Making a 2-day leap forward in game-time is beyond anything else currently ingame.

stummer
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2014 11:04

So, once Iceland will be included in the beta version, we simply should try it ;)

MapDrawer
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2014 11:21

I think the Faroe Islands should be included because it is a ferry stop between Denmaek and Iceland and it doesn't take weeks to complete. Second thing i have is that Turku in Finland is in the country and not by the coast. And another ferry thing i have, is that Åland should be included as a ferry stop
Main Garage: Kassel (D)
Other Garages: -
Current Truck: Volvo FH Globetrotter
Current Level: 25 (Master)

Current Journey: Warszawa (PL) - Clermont-Ferrand (F)
Currently Transporting: Coal (24t)
Current Location: Aurach (D)
Route Length: 1347 km

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information