Roundabouts (traffic circles) too small

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Redtrucker

11 Aug 2014 17:29

Hello !

After some time on the map, something came out very quickly to me.

The roundabouts, (or traffic circle) are way too small. I don't really understand why you did smaller ones than those that already exist in the vanilla map cities.
I'm only at the begining of a career, and until now I mostly drove in France but I have a couple of american trucks and oversized trailers mods and I already get kind of mad thinking about how I will manage to go through those circles XD

I did a little search, I'm not sure if it has been discussed already but I really think you should increase the size of the roundabouts. At least the same size than the others.
IRL, outside cities, there are not any roundabouts that small. So please, do something about it.

Here are exemples:
Going straight ahead, it's ok I guess:
http://www.noelshack.com/2014-33-140777 ... -00001.jpg

Turning or doing a u-turn, it's a bit tricky:
http://www.noelshack.com/2014-33-140777 ... -00002.jpg

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

11 Aug 2014 18:52

You're not driving correctly: look how much space there still is to the left of your tractor in the 2nd picture. Your right front wheel needs to be all the way over on the white line.

When you turn a tractor/trailer combination the trailer wheels turn on a tighter radius than the tractor wheels, that's why you need to "swing wide" with your tractor to avoid running your trailer up on kerbs when taking a corner.
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

Wolfpig
Donation rank:

11 Aug 2014 18:55

Redtrucker wrote:Turning or doing a u-turn, it's a bit tricky:
If you would drive with the truck a bit more on the "outside" of it you could take it without problems.

IRL, outside cities, there are not any roundabouts that small
How do you know that?
And a approx. diameter of 12-16m for that roundabout (those on the pics should be around that size) are not really small...

Redtrucker

11 Aug 2014 18:59

I was sure to get such response...

I know how it works. But, still, it's too small. It's may be possible to keep the tyres on the road, but it's too complicated IMO. And unrealistic. As I said, there is no roundabout of that size outside of cities in real life, at least in France, as far as I know. I drive, I've seen a lot of roundabouts, they are at least two lanes wide outside of cities.

And why they didn't put the same ones than those existing in the vanilla map of the game ?

Wolfpig
Donation rank:

11 Aug 2014 19:19

Redtrucker wrote:I was sure to get such response...

I know how it works. But, still, it's too small. It's may be possible to keep the tyres on the road, but it's too complicated IMO. And unrealistic. As I said, there is no roundabout of that size outside of cities in real life, at least in France, as far as I know. I drive, I've seen a lot of roundabouts, they are at least two lanes wide outside of cities.
But the 2nd picture of yours on which you have the problem to take it is not outside of a city......otherwise the buildings in the background would not be there.
And it sounds as if you have no problem when those roundabouts are inside a city........^^

Arexander
Donation rank:

11 Aug 2014 19:21

Wolfpig wrote:
Redtrucker wrote:I was sure to get such response...

But the 2nd picture of yours on which you have the problem to take it is not outside of a city......otherwise the buildings in the background would not be there.
And it sounds as if you have no problem when those roundabouts are inside a city........^^
Did it ever cross your mind that it might be just an example of a situation where he turned on that roundabout instead of going straight? The point still stands on the outside of the city, no matter where the roundabout in the picture is.

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

11 Aug 2014 19:23

There's tonnes of space. Look:

While this size roundabout may not be prototypical for France (I don't know, I haven't done much driving there) there's plenty of them near where I live, even in business parks and, for sure, the streets here are a lot narrower and the corners are sharper than in ETS2. Still truck drivers negotiate these no problem, even with cars parked too close to the corners or otherwise illegally parked.

ETS2 is a truck driving sim, if there are no elements in there which force correct driving, it starts losing it's value and appeal imnsho.
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

Arexander
Donation rank:

11 Aug 2014 19:27

Jan Verschueren wrote:There's tonnes of space. Look:

*snip*

While this size roundabout may not be prototypical for France (I don't know, I haven't done much driving there) there's plenty of them near where I live, even in business parks and, for sure, the streets here are a lot narrower and the corners are sharper than in ETS2. Still truck drivers negotiate these no problem, even with cars parked too close to the corners or otherwise illegally parked.

ETS2 is a truck driving sim, if there are no elements in there which force correct driving, it starts losing it's value and appeal imnsho.
The case here was with an American truck, so a long-nose variant instead of the typical European flat-nosed trucks. Of course, one might argue that as this is Euro Truck Simulator, the American trucks would have a pretty tough time on he European roads anyway, which is totally realistic.

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

11 Aug 2014 19:45

I always end up with the trailer on some part of the centre of those, even if I try not to, so I really wouldn't worry about it. To be fair that truck of yours has about an extra 3 metres at the front.

Redtrucker

11 Aug 2014 20:03

I have also a mod with oversized trailers.

I remind you as well that such trailers will be added in the game by the next DLC.

I keep thinking those roundabouts are too small. But it's just my opinion.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information