Faroe Islands and Iceland Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
LoaderSaints

27 Oct 2014 14:55

Slatkus wrote:Sorry to sound harsh but I had to write this as I see Purno is drifting further and further away from realistic map (first snow, now F26 and F208).
I didn't know snow was unrealistic. :o If that is unrealistic then please explain to me how there can be snow in Finland and rest of the places IRL. :lol:
And isn't variety a good thing after all?

Slatkus
Donation rank:

27 Oct 2014 16:32

It is not snow that it is not realistic. But we have snow either in whole country or not at all. Highlands and its F roads sometimes has snow all year round. So if there are snow in north part then it should be in highlands (middle of Iceland) as well.

I am happy with what Purno did so far but I disagree with F roads. Even if they would be gravel roads (like real thing) still not even a single truck driver would dear to drive there as that would end up in dissater.

If you guys are planning to include F26 and F208 you might as well include Moon with a highway network. That's how far from reality it is.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

27 Oct 2014 16:41

Slatkus wrote:I am happy with what Purno did so far but I disagree with F roads. Even if they would be gravel roads (like real thing) still not even a single truck driver would dear to drive there as that would end up in dissater.
I totally disagree with you. My uncle is a professional who from time to time drives to countries with roads like those seen in Iceland.
And sometimes he just has to drive on such muddy and 'waiting-for-disaster' like roads.
He himself has never driven in Iceland, but he knows friend who are also truckers, who did. And they say that it happens sometimes that truckers need to drive on such road to reach their destination on time.

And yes, I agree with you that it's like asking for a disaster. But ey, I drove together with my uncle a few times, also on such roads. And I must say, it's hell of a lot of fun! (for me, not driving the truck) :D

My uncle has a DAF XF, just like me in ETS2 :P
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

27 Oct 2014 16:43

At the risk of sounding like a broken record: your crappy hoster is crappy.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

27 Oct 2014 17:02

LA-MJ wrote:At the risk of sounding like a broken record: your crappy hoster is crappy.

Apart from it not working now, what was crappy about his image hoster? It worked fine :) It was faster then imgur.com...
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

27 Oct 2014 17:07

short answer: not the first time this happens, therefore unreliable

and even when it worked it was unbearably slow here

Perhaps I'm just having bad luck as I'm not checking this forum every day.

Slatkus
Donation rank:

27 Oct 2014 17:26

Volleybal4life wrote:
Slatkus wrote:I am happy with what Purno did so far but I disagree with F roads. Even if they would be gravel roads (like real thing) still not even a single truck driver would dear to drive there as that would end up in dissater.
I totally disagree with you. My uncle is a professional who from time to time drives to countries with roads like those seen in Iceland.
And sometimes he just has to drive on such muddy and 'waiting-for-disaster' like roads.
He himself has never driven in Iceland, but he knows friend who are also truckers, who did. And they say that it happens sometimes that truckers need to drive on such road to reach their destination on time.

And yes, I agree with you that it's like asking for a disaster. But ey, I drove together with my uncle a few times, also on such roads. And I must say, it's hell of a lot of fun! (for me, not driving the truck) :D

My uncle has a DAF XF, just like me in ETS2 :P
Can you please ask your uncle how those truck drivers were able to cross up to 1m high rivers without any bridges? And can you ask how much time did they safe by driving offroad only road where in most parts top speed is very low.

Anyway. No point in arguing here. Most people here know much better how wonderfull Iceland's highland roads are even though they haven't seen even a single picture of those roads.

Purno if you already added F26 and F208 could you also please put some skyscrapers around 1 of the valcano or on glacier. Dinasaurs and alliens would fit those highland highways as well.

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

27 Oct 2014 17:31

Slatkus wrote: If you guys are planning to include F26 and F208 you might as well include Moon with a highway network. That's how far from reality it is.
[/pointless jibes]

You're not even Icelandic, I don't see people from Iceland complaining.

Is this a truck? On the F208? No way.

Let's face it, it's a simulator, but it's also a game. If ETS2 included every aspect of a trucker's life, I guarantee you wouldn't play it.

To echo an earlier point:

"If you don't like it, you needn't go there!"

EDIT:
Slatkus wrote:Purno if you already added F26 and F208 could you also please put some skyscrapers around 1 of the valcano or on glacier. Dinasaurs and alliens would fit those highland highways as well.
I've never heard of dinasaurs, alliens and valcanos. But I'm sure he's not planning to include them. ;)

Go and make your own Iceland map, prove us wrong!

2nd Edit:
Slatkus wrote: ...But we have snow either in whole country or not at all.
Are you sure?! I can name countless times where it's been raining five miles away from home and not at home, and vice versa. You're telling me that there's that little variation in terrain in Lithuania that it lays everywhere at once? Uhm, okay then...

Purno
Donation rank:

27 Oct 2014 18:22

Ooooohkay...
After I come home from a day at the office, I find a tad of a shitstorm in my topic. Lets see if I can address some stuff.

no trucks on F-roads
Icelands main road, route 1, is a ring road. Without any inland roads, it'd mean that you'd basically be driving the same road over and over and over and over again. That's pretty boring so I went looking for an inland road to make a connection from one side of the ring road to another one. I tried to find the biggest road that was there, but unfortunately I was only able to find the F26. I value realism, but I value gameplay more. The F26 was the best workaround I could find. I could perhaps make it invisisble on the UI map so the GPS always redirects you via route 1. But that'd result in the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve with the existance of route F26: to prevent gamers from driving the same road over and over again. I'm open for suggestions.

F-roads shouldn't be paved
True, but for some silly reason, there's no dirt road textures available on prefabs. That means, that the little crossing connecting route F26 and route F208 is paved. That's the best I can do. IMO it wouldn't make much sense to leave route F26 and F208 totally unpaved, but suddenly in the middle of nowhere, a paved intersection pops up. Perhaps I can make a part of route F208 unpaved, and the paved intersection would still be connected to the paved F26. Again, I'm open for suggestions, I'm trying to find the best workaround here.

Snow should be everywhere, or nowhere
My decision was based on the two things I know;
- It's colder up north, and thus north has more snow
- It's colder up the mountain, and thus the higher lands have more snow
That's why the south coast has no snow, and anything north of Fjarðabyggð does. Even the highland will be partly snowy, but so far, I only did the south part of the F26/F208 roads. And there's another technical problem here; there's only one snowy road texture, and it's paved. I don't have textures for a snowy unpaved road (or an icy road), and neither have I textures for any frozen lakes. But I would eventually need them for the northern part of Iceland. (Another reason I started on the south coast, instead of the north coast). Additionally, a varying landscape is more interesting than a completely snowy Iceland. It's where gameplay (enjoyment) get a little priority over realism.

Highways, dragons, skyscrapers
And this is the point where you lost all credibility. Your first post sounded like positive critisism, and I took it as serious feedback. It's a shame you had to shatter that reputation with this kind of childish attitude. I hope we can return to the more serious conversations and keep things constructive. Any suggestions and possible workarounds would be more than welcome.

Volcanos
Much requested, but there's no volcano-specific model. I don't know how to create a distant volcano, and I don't know how a close-by volcano would look like. ATM I'm even struggling with the lack of any black ash-textures, which would fit way better than the default light-brown dirt/sand colors.

Horizon™
Developer

27 Oct 2014 19:01

Hi,Purno.
You do excellent work in Iceland.

What "Highways, Skyscrapers,Volcanos"?
1.Why for Iceland need highways , because it isn't a UK, United States or other European countries. :D
2.Skyscrapers in Iceland?It is impossible.
3.I'm be happy too see some volcanos.
It's just my opinion.

For textures , try 18WOS Extreme Trucker 1-2 textures from Alaska, Australia or from somewhere else.
I know,it will be hard to do it,but it can be helpful.

I'm waiting for your work.Thanks for your work.

Try do it how much you can.Good luck.
Last edited by Horizon™ on 27 Oct 2014 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Post is proudly delivered by Horizon's Logistics
Roaming through desert

Developer of Lithuania
Developer of Kazakhstan
Developer of Iraq

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information