Development on version 1.x (Finland - Project Napapiiri)

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
Altonity

15 Aug 2014 19:06

I did short test drive in Finland. Route was Helsinki-Hämeenlinna-Tampere-Jyväskylä-Kuopio. Cities are and will always be small in ETS 2 but I really loved some of roads. I started with Road 3 from Helsinki towards north. That was pretty standard motorway and just as boring as real one :D . I liked some of stuff in Tampere very much. I loved how I could see "Näsinneula" from ring road bridge like in RL. That is almost my daily drive IRL and I felt like home. Good work with that ! Driving road 9 from Tampere to Jyväskylä was best area from my current trips. You managed to capture feel of 9. I have drove that part many times IRL. I would have never thought that you could make road feel that familiar in ETS 2. It was perfect. It exceeded all my exceptions. Nicely done ! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Dannu
Donation rank:

16 Aug 2014 07:23

Yeah, i agree with altonity. Finland area is very beautiful, but cities are very small. But why in VT2 Pori is on signs? There should be Tampere&Pori in signs. But still, good job!
Ex-ProMods Beta Tester from 1.90 to 2.64

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

17 Aug 2014 09:04

Hi Platypus,

Great work on Finland! Kuopio is a jewel, my favourite city so far, but I've not been to Tampere or Varkaus yet, keep it up!

As the progress chart has not yet been updated, could you tell us what cities you have planned for the next edition of Finland exactly? I'm a little bit confused as to who is doing what so far :lol:

mursu327

17 Aug 2014 09:32

I like kuopio also, but is there reason why you bluid tunnel in kuopio because in irl there is not, anyway good work i like new finland, and sorry my poor english :D
cant wait to go north! :)
Bad english sorry :)

Platypus
Developer

17 Aug 2014 11:54

Hello,
Päivää,

Thank you for all your comments ;-)
I will try to give some responses here to questions/comments :

- Road 23 to Varkaus : it could be considered but I can't also not create all roads in Finland, due to scale. You could win about 50km by this road, compared to the way by road 9+5. This is good IRL, not so much in ETS2 ;-) I need to investigate it... Of course, adding Joensuu could make this road more interesting, but this city is not yet certain (see my previous post on page 42 of this topic). But I will retain this idea.

- Tampere/Pori signs on VT2 : yes I need to recontrol this when continuing road VT2 until Pori

- Next plans include the west coast of Finland : Pori, Vaasa, Kokkola, Oulu, Tornio and extension to Rovaniemi and Arctic Circle. Kajaani could also be added. So it will extend roads VT3, 4, 5 and mainly VT8 (see also my previous post on page 42 of this topic).

- Tunnel in Kuopio. Well, I take care to represent all cities with respect of the general map of city, but sometimes it's very difficult due to scale ;-) It remains a game. In the case of Kuopio, I had to cross the city with road VT5. This road and the street named IRL 'Puijonlaaksontie' and intersections (Suurmäentie) are so close one from the others that it was very difficult to represent this in game. Also prefabs like garage, industries are very big. Tunnel allows to pass under everything and continue road to north... I find also that the curve before give nice visual result. Not certain that the tunnel from first version at exit of Turku on VT9 also exists. But I find it good an I decided to keep it. Don't drive too fast in this tunnel :lol:

Regards,
Platypus

LoaderSaints

18 Aug 2014 10:16

Okay, so I have to tell this now because I want to help you guys to improve Finland. My post concerns road markings. ATM the road markings in Finland in-game are rather strange (still). So I will clear few things out for you. My intention here is to help, not to criticize.

First of all the normal broken white line which divides lanes looks like this:
That you already have correct, but on some areas there is this strange solid white line in the middle. The solid white line in the middle is not used in Finland!

Then there are the no overtaking zones. Those have to be improved as in-game you have a broken yellow line followed by a solid yellow line. That again is wrong. Here is how it should go:
That means there will be a no overtaking zone on the right.

This is how the no overtaking zone itself should look like! Two solid yellow lines.

That means there will be a no overtaking zone on the left.

This means that only the side which has the solid yellow line has a no overtaking zone. On the other side overtaking is allowed.

And this is how the 2 + 1 roads should be (at least in Southern-Finland).

I hope this clears it out for you. If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

ScuL
Founder

18 Aug 2014 11:05

Thanks for this information, we will try to improve it
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

kallejre

18 Aug 2014 12:28

Hello
Yesterday I took time and drove trough whole Finland.
Overall was very good, but I think, that's related to my graphics settings. Some road signs were blurry and I had to drive very close to them to understand something on these. Same goes to licence plates, except I couldn't read them at all. What settings should I use to maintain best peformance?
There were some maping bugs such as left-hand traffic in one city, cars driving to garage and then disappearing and uncollideable houses around map. I'll report these offically as soon as I get to computer.

mbman212
Donation rank:

18 Aug 2014 12:33

I haven't found any problems with Finnish license plates on my trucks, I can clearly see the dash (-) between the letters and numbers.

I just can't wait until next version is released that I can go to my hometown (Vaasa) in Western Finland :)

Platypus: if it's possible, can you add an airport to Vaasa? because in real life there is one airport not far from the city? I know that scaling might cause problems, but can you try?
#8 Forum Spammer

ETS2 v1.38.1.15, ProMods 2.5x, DLC content

12,50% explored
Driven km 67,200
2957 hours of ETS2

ATS v1.38x, DLC content

29,46% explored
Driven mi 19,000
271 hours of ATS

ScuL
Founder

18 Aug 2014 12:34

kallejre wrote:Hello
Yesterday I took time and drove trough whole Finland.
Overall was very good, but I think, that's related to my graphics settings. Some road signs were blurry and I had to drive very close to them to understand something on these. Same goes to licence plates, except I couldn't read them at all. What settings should I use to maintain best peformance?
There were some maping bugs such as left-hand traffic in one city, cars driving to garage and then disappearing and uncollideable houses around map. I'll report these offically as soon as I get to computer.

No need to report them they have already been repaired.

And for your first comment, looks like you would benefit from a new computer or graphics card
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information