[TUTORIAL] A tutorial creating map (1.8.2)

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
tkk7406
Add-on Developer

20 Jul 2015 19:33

Yes, and it's got another folder called "map". Ever since I used the editor, it's made a folder called "autosave", which seems logical.
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

ETS2-User
Developer

20 Jul 2015 20:00

Try extracting the original map file there. That's what you had to do back in GTS, maybe it works here too xD
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

Horizon™
Developer

20 Jul 2015 20:08

So follow the steps like this - How to create your map archive:

In the 2nd tutarial how to pack files you've learned how SCS files work. Haven't seen that? Please go there to read that first.

1. Load all 3 ProMods files (def, promods and map file)
2. Go to the editor, do not modify anything, save inmediately when the editor is loaded.
3. Close the editor
4. Create a new SCS file only containing a map folder, go to that map folder in your SCS file and load both the europe.mbd and the europe
folder in it.
5. Already given the SCS file a name? please call it zz-dunsfold-<yourname>.scs
6. Hop into the editor again, make your modifications and save. Afterwards inmediately load the modificated sectors into your map/europe
folder in the SCS file.
7. Next time modding, repeat the cyclus from step 6

"Made by M95"
Post is proudly delivered by Horizon's Logistics
Roaming through desert

Developer of Lithuania
Developer of Kazakhstan
Developer of Iraq

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

20 Jul 2015 20:57

ETS2-User wrote:Try extracting the original map file there. That's what you had to do back in GTS, maybe it works here too xD
But I've got the .mdb file in the map folder. Here's how it looks:

Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

Horizon™
Developer

20 Jul 2015 21:07

So make a folder on desktop called "ProjectMap" and put folder "project_map" and "project_map.mbd" into it and make archive as .scs! :)
Post is proudly delivered by Horizon's Logistics
Roaming through desert

Developer of Lithuania
Developer of Kazakhstan
Developer of Iraq

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

20 Jul 2015 21:12

Erm no, Deus. It's important to keep the folder structure.

So within your package, you have a folder called map. Within that folder you have the folder "project_map" and "project_map.mbd". (Have you actually packed the MBD too?)
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

20 Jul 2015 21:30

Yep, packed both the folder and the .mdb. As it turned out, I'd almost totally forgot about the folder in the desktop (massive facepalm). Thank you everyone for your help! :D
Cheers,

cashtime2013
Developer
Donation rank:

21 Jul 2015 00:25

For my own purposes, I don't use the desktop, but have a 'Work' folder inside a 'Temp' folder on C:\.

Each time I save my work in the editor, I copy the MAP folder from the program files\ETS2\base folder into the Work folder, which also contains a DEF folder (you'll need to add that too at some point when you define cities, companies etc.), then I add both to an .scs archive. You then put that into your mod folder the next time you edit the map. I probably do things the lazy way by keeping the folder structure in Map the same as default - autosave, europe, and europe.bak folders, along with the europe.mbd file (mod size: 300mb), but it seems to work better that way ;) .

Another folder I have in Temp is a Mod Store folder, which I use to move all my game-play mods into while I'm mapping. So the only mod in the mod folder when editing is my own map mod, plus 2 ProMods files (not map) for the assets.

I also have another config.cfg file for the documents\ets2 folder. This contains the different settings (screen size, fly speed etc.) I use for editing. I swap it with the game-play config file when mapping, then swap them back to play the game. To test my work in the game, I create another map mod that just contains the map sectors I've worked on, and without the autosave and .bak folders (mod size: 1.2mb).
Oh, and I use a retail copy of the game (1.18.1.3) for editing, and Steam version (1.19.x) for playing/testing.

Anyway, that's my work method, hope it's useful to someone ;) .
British Isles Developer

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, Intel i5 quad-core CPU, nvidia Geforce GTX 1650, ASUS VZ249HE 24" monitor, 750watt PSU, ETS2 & ATS 64bit

Shiva

23 Jul 2015 00:48

I'm just copying over europe.mbd and the sectors i have modified.
To a scs-file I have opened with 7-Zip "test-map-v002m.scs, as an example"
my "test-def-v002.scs" contains the def-files I need to have the city working.
mod-folders?
I have 2. Active is named mod, while the non active is either mod1 or mod2, depending if I play or mod.

Argh! redid some intersections that were working, but where all nodes not red/green.
Result was GPS error, otherwise road worked as before tho.
Sometimes best to leave working things alone.
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

ETS2-User
Developer

23 Jul 2015 08:43

Shiva wrote:Argh! redid some intersections that were working, but where all nodes not red/green.
Result was GPS error, otherwise road worked as before tho.
Sometimes best to leave working things alone.
Before placing a prefab you can set in the default properties window on which side the red origin node should be. This should prevent you from such problems ;)
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information