Recruiting ProMods ATS developers

Ask questions about the ATS mod here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Tapuach

09 May 2016 03:56

Zniwek wrote:Who knows his own country better than a person that lives there? :)
Sure you can try to develop USA or even China or any country but you don't 'feel' it. You're not part of it. You have to check a lot of things that are obvious for someone living there. That's why Americans are needed for this project, just like Europeans work on Europe ;)
What do you actually need to feel? Its not like you're meeting the people or tasting the food, or listening the music. Its just landscape and roads and signs. And anyone with skills can copy it from the streetview pictures that every single meter of roads in the whole US is photographed 360 degrees with all the landscape around. There is no feel to it. Its just copying. Aah btw maybe you are right, there is some feel of priority, which cities-villages-landmarks to choose since its scaled down. But I can understand as ScuL said that they need more people for America, if they are building Europe at the same time.

Aniway.
Hope you find the people you need.
Happy modding.

Callipso
Donation rank:

09 May 2016 20:35

Tapuach wrote:
Zniwek wrote:Who knows his own country better than a person that lives there? :)
Sure you can try to develop USA or even China or any country but you don't 'feel' it. You're not part of it. You have to check a lot of things that are obvious for someone living there. That's why Americans are needed for this project, just like Europeans work on Europe ;)
What do you actually need to feel? Its not like you're meeting the people or tasting the food, or listening the music. Its just landscape and roads and signs. And anyone with skills can copy it from the streetview pictures that every single meter of roads in the whole US is photographed 360 degrees with all the landscape around. There is no feel to it. Its just copying. Aah btw maybe you are right, there is some feel of priority, which cities-villages-landmarks to choose since its scaled down. But I can understand as ScuL said that they need more people for America, if they are building Europe at the same time.

Google Earth and Google Maps show you photos from the past and things change quickly in our modern world. Most rural areas do not change as often though there are some detailed aspects of the landscape that do in fact change over the course of a year or two. A person living in his nearby environment can see these changes actively all the time by just going to that location and viewing it. The maps on-line can only provide you with a photo just as well though that photo may have been taken a year ago and if you move forward a bit the next area will have been stitched to a photo that might have been taken 5 years ago. A lot can happen and you aren't always getting the most recent available data if you just recreate from an archived set of photo. You may only see the old network of roads 5 years ago on the most recent sat photo, and if you were there in person you could already know what the shape of the new roads are. For example I know that in 5 or so years they will begin work on Interstate 11 in Arizona if all goes to plan on the Boulder City by-pass and will be able to actively see progress on it till its conclusion. Where as if you tried to view this on maps you will probably see updated maps until you get past Hoover Dam where the area becomes very rural to almost un-populated. In these areas photos on Google are updated very infrequently you might not see any new photos until the project has finished.

its a matter of efficiency and allows more detailed work on the areas in question by selecting one who lives in the area being mapped. imho

LoaderSaints

10 May 2016 07:37

A good example of Google Streetview being outdated is the Vt7/E18 Koskenkylä - Kotka segment in Finland. The road used to be 1+1 but has been upgraded to a 2+2 motorway a couple of years ago. This year Google managed to get new satellite images of it so the new road can be seen from above but the streetview still just shows the old road. And what is worse, they actually removed most parts of the streetview on that segment so the streetview is useless there. But as a local, I drive that road (the new road) almost every day and know it very well.

I know this isn't exactly on topic of ATS/USA but still relevant to the argument why locals are preferred. ;)

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

10 May 2016 11:46

Another example:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.0160899, ... !1e3?hl=nl
This road is available on Streetview, but the sattelite pictures are outdated for 10 years. But I have done quite some commuting trips on this road.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

angrybirdseller
Donation rank:

22 May 2016 11:18

This is ETS2 map editor, but when ATS Arizona comes out already have dds map file ready to go, and the scale was adjusted to 1:17 scale as keep it simple. the map size file is 12280 by 8192. I wont move forward unless more people step to the plate. I can be developer just want other people know how to use the map editor is most important piece. Know how to edit and save maps is more important than knowing blender or zmodeler to get the wheels rolling.

Vøytek
Developer

22 May 2016 12:33

Finally someone decided to show his skills, nice :)
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

ScuL
Founder

22 May 2016 12:33

It's indeed very important to understand the basics. Keep going :)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Goomb

23 May 2016 22:14

Familiar with I-87 and I-95, to a lesser extent. Been a fan of ProMods for a bit, I know how to use the editor, but not Blender, or any modeling tool.

Horizon™
Developer

24 May 2016 16:58

Well, what are you waiting for? Show your skills to us ;)
Post is proudly delivered by Horizon's Logistics
Roaming through desert

Developer of Lithuania
Developer of Kazakhstan
Developer of Iraq

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

24 May 2016 17:31

angrybirdseller wrote:This is ETS2 map editor, but when ATS Arizona comes out already have dds map file ready to go, and the scale was adjusted to 1:17 scale as keep it simple. the map size file is 12280 by 8192. I wont move forward unless more people step to the plate. I can be developer just want other people know how to use the map editor is most important piece. Know how to edit and save maps is more important than knowing blender or zmodeler to get the wheels rolling.
There may be only one thing that I'm worried about: the assets, especially the following:
- Prefabs
- Models
- Vegetation
- Terrain textures
- Road items

Are you sure you can port them over to ATS without problems?
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ATS”

• Information