FF2: Filling in the Suburbs

Post your own screenshots & videos of our mods here
krigl

25 Dec 2023 23:20

Time to finish the second 'trucker profile' tour with a journey up from Nogales to Phoenix, Arizona.

A quick walk-around - today we have a W900 with 455 hp hauling Used Packaging for Walmart.

Driving through Nogales in the early morning.

Out of town by sun-up, ready for some south Arizona desert vistas.

An unplanned exit from the freeway to Tucson. The GPS told me to do it, guv. Not that I particularly mind.

We didn't end up seeing much of Tucson anyway, somehow.

Back en route to Phoenix.

An airport. We must be near our destination.

A quick glimpse of the state capital's skyline.

Alright, let's wrap this up.

Seemed a bit cramped, but we managed. Now level 12, and with over $120 K in the bank, we're not doing too badly. Time to get back to Europe now, though...
Krigl

krigl

30 Dec 2023 16:14

This Christmas season I've found myself taking some very special journeys - like many other people, no doubt. Wasn't sure if I should share them or not, but decided to in the end.

As a trucker just starting out in Innsbruck, gifted a garage by my parents but with no truck to my name, I was working and and saving up cash making local deliveries... and then one early summer night I had a dream. It was simple, but very strange, for it was of winter, and of a green truck standing in the snow. As I gazed upon this boxy apparition, I heard a voice utter the following words: "M. A. N.... M.A.N. ... Magic At Night". And then I woke up and ate my cornflakes, and thought about what I'd just seen. Personally, for magic at night I prefer W.O.M.A.N. but perhaps it meant something else? I was perplexed to say the least. And then I opened my email after breakfast and found something from my Bank. They apparently want to lend me $100,000 Euros! It can't be a coincidence, I thought, so I decided to take a look at my local Second Hand Truck Shop web page - and there, right on the front page was the very same truck from my dream. Amazing.

It was obviously meant to be, and I could just about afford it so I thought, why not. Soon I was in possession of two things, a second hand MAN TGX XL with a 1,160L tank, 330 hp and just under 100K km on the clock. That works out at about 1 Euro per km, so I deffo got my money's worth. Permanent wear 1%, some other issues that make it emit worrying noises occasionally, but it hasn't even stalled yet. What a sweetie. The other thing was a considerable debt. Time to get to work, I guess.

Here are a few shots from our first job together - Innsbruck to Salzburg hauling rooflights for Dachser.

Had to stop at this weigh station, a first for me in Europe, I think. Never seen one before. Very strange. However, there was no icon, so I just sat where it seemed I should and pressed enter. Nothing happened, but I was thanked for my pains as we left, so I must have done something right.

After a cold start it brightened up into a lovely sunny day.

Arriving in Salzburg. We of course made many more trips like this, which I shall not trouble anyone with.

Parking up. After a few weeks I was just starting to lose my natural feeling of wonder that I'd found a new truck through a dream, and forget about the mysterious phrase "M. A. N. - Magic At Night" (after all, everyone knows it stands for Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg) when I had another strange experience after turning in for the evening... and I'm not sure it even was a dream this time - it felt so, so, so, so, so real.

It was 2am, and something made me rise from my bed and cross the muddy waste ground lying between our house and the garage. All was eerily quiet, yet the air felt like it was kind of 'fizzing'... For some reason, I felt the urge to get in my still new nearly-new truck.

I started the engine, and somehow knew just where I was going - to DHL, and there a gaily painted trailer was awaiting me, and unmistakeably only me.

I hooked it up and we headed out, I knew not where... yet the weigh station which had newly appeared to the north of Innsbruck seemed like as good a destination as any. It was almost as if it were calling to me...

Through the dark streets of Innsbruck we drove, and then along the motorway for a short stretch...

...until we reached the weigh station. There in the car park beyond I espied a hazy patch of what seemed like falling snow. Could it really be snow? It never snows in Europe these days.

On a whim, I drove the truck into the cloud and found that it was not snow, but twinkling lights. As we drove in, I felt cold and energized, yet simultaneously warm and cosy. What is this?, I wondered. Not sure quite what happened next - everything went black - but then...

...we were suddenly somewhere completely different. Snow on the ground everywhere, and gently glowing streetlamps. And lights in the trees, as if it were Christmas, and not the summer. "Wow," I thought. "Am I in Narnia?"

But no, twas not Narnia. No evil white queen exists to spoil this fabled land. No, this place is far better than Narnia.

Suddenly I know where we had to go - to the Town Square! And so we set off, slipping and sliding through the snow.

Eventually the glowing lamps of a settlement hove into view.

There were no cars driving on the roads anywhere, so I was able to step outside the truck and take some pics of the beautiful buildings and scenes we encountered on entering town.

It seemed a place wholly dedicated to the spirit of Christmas...

...a wondrous land far removed from the troubles of our world...

...rather like the whole of Trucksimland actually, but with added Christmas joy...

...a land where all is well, where shops with shelves groaning with gifts for Santa to bring stay open all night long, and wallets are perpetually full so that the joy of giving and receiving may be felt by all. Winterland.
Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 01 Jan 2024 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

krigl

30 Dec 2023 22:17

Continuing our Winter Adventure...

We've got a delivery to make to the Town Square, but there's really no hurry, so I stopped again to take another shot of this beautiful location.

The red post boxes definitely have an English feel, but the buildings and Christmas market are very Central European and very quaint.

Delivery complete! What now?

Who would have thought, but the Town Square had work on offer - goods to be hauled. But not back to Salzburg - to Valladolid in Spain? I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. Carrying what? Christmas Market Hampers?? What the? Well... alright!

The cheery locals gave me a steaming mug of non-alcoholic mulled wine and sent me on my way.

Could it be that I'm really going to Spain? Surely not. I'm going to wake up in a minute...

Suddenly I heard the haunting moan of a distant steam train, and saw its lights passing by beyond the trees.

Our route took us towards it, but by the time we reached the bridge it had gone.

Our destination is an isolated spot on the map, with nothing lying beyond. Perhaps there will be another mysterious portal? Please don't let me wake up.

A house across a river... and some people...

A young couple with their daughter, preparing to release a lantern onto the river.

More lanterns lazily drifting.

Crossing the same river.

Those twinkling lights again. This must be the portal! Are we really going to Spain??! I turn off the engine and stab a random button on the dashboard, and again all goes black...

Whoa!! What's this? Nowhere familiar. Check the GPS. Wow... I really, actually am in Spain!

Look, Spain, see!!

That's quite the coincidence actually, as this truck apparently had a Spanish owner and later made its way to Austria under a second. Perhaps it wanted to return to its earliest home? Could it be a magic truck? Could it be sentient? My mind was reeling with the possibilities.

We didn't have far to go with our cargo, but it was still great to see something of Spain.

But how were we to get back, and what was I going to tell my parents? It's a long drive.

Valladolid seems like a cool place.

Delivery complete. We went into town for a walkabout and a dish of delicious patatas bravas with a bowl of gazpacho. I stopped by a souvenir shop and bought a pair of palillos (castanets) with flamenco dancers on them. I checked my 'job finder' app after that, and discovered that there were a couple of jobs going to Winterland, but none going back home - way too far. I'm only level 3. No choice but to take one, then. For a dream this was feeling very much like work. A dream job, then.

On the way to the jobsite.

Crossing the Pisuerga, I guess.

Next time: Valladolid to the Winterland Arts Workshop.
Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 10 Feb 2024 20:09, edited 2 times in total.

krigl

31 Dec 2023 11:01

Today we pick up a cargo from the Iveco Trucks factory in Valladolid, Spain and bring it to the Art Workshop in the fairytale land of eternal Yuletide.

Arriving at the Iveco factory. While known primarily for manufacturing cab chassis for the Iveco Daily range, as well as heavy S-Way cabs, they also have a third, less well-known division for the production of Christmas Wood Laminate.

Ready to go. The Elves of Winterland are already hopping and squeaking excitedly like popcorning guinea pigs in anticipation of this important delivery.

On our way to the Magic Portal.

My glitter-encrusted GPS tells me it's somewhere to the south of the city.

Spain looks awesome. Looking forward to touring it one day. Maybe I'll get there in 2024...

The portal should be here somewhere.... ah yes, I think I can see the telltale cloud of twinkling lights.

Goodness knows what the other drivers think. I was afraid to ask...

A short period of darkness, and then - hey presto - we were back in the Land of Wonder!

It was early evening this time, rather than night.

Lanterns could still be seen floating on the river.

And this time the train passed very close by in a thrilling rush of sound and smoke.

We reached the edge of Winterland's Town, but this time we have a different route to take.

Reindeer beneath the northern lights!!

Dashing through the snow...

...to Rudolph's Crafts.

A couple of dozen tons of Christmas Wood Laminate, ready for unloading. Break out the festive forklifts.

They gave me a warming cup of cocoa and some piping hot mince pies. And then offered me a job heading to Split of all places. A long way from Valladolid, and a long way from home too, but I'm game...
Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 01 Jan 2024 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

krigl

31 Dec 2023 11:27

A journey from Rudolph's Crafts to Adrica at the quayside of Split's container port awaits this time.

A frozen lake lies in the vicinity of the Arts Workshop, and the locals would be remiss if they did not use it for its natural purpose - ice skating.

Getting under way with 22 tons of Master Craft Gift Packs.

Jumped out again almost immediately to snap the truck with the church. No cars on the road to be held up, so why not.

Happy skaters.

The northern lights rippled overhead as we progressed towards the portal.

This must be it.

Took a couple of shots before we left. Little did I know that it would be some time before we'd return to this beautiful land.

The pressing of a random button brought us away from sparkling snowscapes into the baking heat of a Croatian summer. A truly miraculous change once again.

After a moment to get our bearings we set off for Split.

It's great to see a bit more of SCS's newest European DLC. It'll be a while before I get here to tour... here's hoping it happens one day.

Paid the toll. A very realistic dream, if this is a dream.

I've been to Croatia a few times, and they've captured the feeling very well here.

The port lies ahead.

Seems a relatively small-scale affair.

Time for those Gift Packs to be... oh I don't know, it's the middle of summer. Maybe they're for export to Australia? It's winter there, right? But not Christmas... Hey, gifts are always nice.

I'd now managed to save up a decent amount of money, and was feeling extremely Christmassy despite the heat, so decided to visit the local truck garage and get an Xmas paint job.

The repaint and remodel (replacing plastic parts with paintable ones) cost me almost all the money I had, but I think it was worth it. I was just sitting in the cab, looking for jobs to Winterland with the job-finder app, when suddenly a great drowsiness overtook me. I don't know what happened next, but when I came to I was in my own bed in Innsbruck, filled with an aching sense of disappointment. So it had all been a dream after all?? Perhaps not, as shall soon become apparent... I can hardly wait....

Back again in the New Year of 2024!! Happy New Year everyone!!

Krigl

krigl

01 Jan 2024 16:00

Once again, a very Happy New Year to all!!

After waking up back in Innsbruck I assumed it had all been an elaborate, seemingly long-lasting dream. This feeling lasted until I got to the garage and found my truck was no longer green - the Xmas paint job was still on it!! A check of my bank account showed that the money I'd made and spent was all recorded there too. Thanks to the repaint I was now poorer than after I'd just bought the truck, with only 1500 euros to my name, and loan repayments to meet. Well, better get hauling, I guess.

We took cargo jobs all summer, and every evening I went to bed wondering if I were about to go on an adventurous visit to Winterland, or hop from country to country like a truck-driving magician. But nothing of that kind happened, and I started to wonder if that was it. No more adventures. The days began to noticeably shorten and autumn arrived, and still no change. Here we are preparing for a trip to Verona in northern Italy.

It's a spectacular journey. I'm so lucky to live in this part of the world.

Stopping off for coffee and a bite at the Brenner Pass rest area.

Could have parked a bit better, but never mind.

We're in Italy now.

The graphics quality noticeably lessens as you move into northern Italy, but still looks okay with the autumn colours.

We were getting close to Verona when an accident blocked our route. The fire engine was doing acrobatics as we passed.

There was a short detour available passing Lago di Garda, so took that rather than trying to squeeze past.

Soon we reached Verona.

Delivery complete.

After returning to Innsbruck the next day I fell asleep in my own bed and was startled to hear that familiar voice once more: M.A.N., M.A.N., Magic... At Night... I was up out of bed like a flash, grabbed a couple of rolls and ran at full tilt to the garage. It was actually early morning and the sun was just up, but whatever. The truck was sitting there, engine already running and ready to go.

Checking the app, I found we had a delivery to make to the Chocolate Factory - a new location. So off we went!

I was so happy to see this magic trailer again.

We zoomed out of Innsbruck at the highest speed I could get away with, and headed for the weigh station.

And there they were - the glowing lights again!

It's time to return to Winterland.
Krigl

krigl

02 Jan 2024 14:27

Pyuuuuuummmmmm.... back to Winterland this time, loaded with Christmas confectionary for the Town Square.

The darkness clears... and is replaced by something only a little less dark. Fog, dammit.

The hauntingly moaning train came by very close, but was tantalisingly obscured by the mist. Will I ever get a good look at it?

Back in town again.

Angel bearing a heavy load of snow.

We dropped off the confectionary at the market and then consulted our app. They're crying out for Christmas goodies in Nis, Serbia, apparently, and I decided to nobly answer that call.

The pick-up point is somewhere as-yet unvisited for me in Winterland - the Chocolate Factory.

Let's go, then.

Suddenly the mist begins to rapidly clear, and the light of dawn spreads across the land. Again I hear the shrieking of the train.

And then there it was, silhouetted against the golden skies!

Shame it wasn't a little closer. But at least they pass by regularly. I'm sure one day I'll get a proper look.

But wait, what's that? A station, perchance?

What a lovely building! Right, I'm setting up shop here to wait for the train to come through. Could be a chance for an epic photo...

Whooooooo!!! And there it is. A marvellous sight!

The love and care put into this 'little' Xmas gift from SCS is such that I couldn't not feature it here... truly a beautiful piece of work.

And here we are at Marigolds...

...the chocolate factory. Unlike Willie Wonka's, it isn't set up to torture spoiled kids - it's just for spoiling them.

The trailer is loaded with Chocolate Gift Packs. The temptation is great, but I shall not attempt to break the seals.

I've heard that those who do are forced by the elves to watch Seels every day for a week.

Off to the portal now. We're going to a new one to the west of the town.

This section was quite a climb, and the truck struggled quite a lot with its 330 hp engine. Perhaps I should consider an upgrade, if such a thing is available to a low level driver like me.

It seems to be getting dark again. Time has no meaning in this land. Or perhaps what I thought was dawn was in fact sunset...of course, derp derp derp.

Well, one thing is sure about the time in Winterland - it's Snow Party time, all the time.

The road continues northwards, and mountains can be seen on the horizon. This land has not yet given up all its secrets.

The portal lies to the west, however, and it will bring us to Serbia - next time.
Krigl

krigl

02 Jan 2024 20:17

This time we're hauling Chocolate Gift Packs from Winterland to Nis in Serbia.

Heading for the portal.

Alright, let's go!!

Yet again the magic works, catapulting us into the heart of the Balkan region.

Driving to Nis through a Serbian autumn.

Looks like tolls are a thing here too, oh joy.

Entering the city.

So, we're delivering Chocolate Gift Packs to... a petroleum storage depot?

Looks like it. Well, it's a dangerous industry, and I'm sure their employees very much deserve their chocolate.

It's late in the day, so I decide to take a rest at the nearest available place.

Which is right here on the roadside opposite the depot.

Well, let's get some sleep, then. I feel exhausted. More than usual, actually, for some reason.

Took this in the middle of the night after getting up to take a leak.

The next morning I didn't feel much better even after sleeping from 7pm to 11am. Still, went to get a new cargo for Winterland. I mean, what else? It was 22 tons of Christmas Roasted Nuts for the Town Square.

The glittering portal is apparently somewhere on the border with Kosovo. Heading there now.

On the way there we passed through the picturesque village of Prokuplje.

More next time. Cheers! Krigl

krigl

03 Jan 2024 16:06

Continuing our trip from Nis in Serbia to the Town Square in Winterland.
Still passing through picturesque Prokuplje.

On towards the Kosovo border and the portal. The scenery here is bright and joyful, but I was feeling the opposite, not sure why.

More and more it seemed to be not just exhaustion, but a feeling that something is not quite right… somewhere.

Winterland seems to be a dream, yet its more than a dream. The money I make on the trips, the records in my app, all show that I really have done what I ‘dreamed’, even when I’m awake. Perhaps it is all one big dream, both the ‘sleeping’ and the ‘waking’ moments? Or perhaps I’m dead, and this is what the afterlife for truckers looks like?

Or did someone put hallucinogens in my beer at some seedy truckstop, sending my mind off at a tangent from which I am unable to return, leaving me permanently mentally disjointed, like poor Syd Barrett?

We arrive at the glittering portal and teleport over to Winterland.

Let’s get on our way, then. Back to the bright lights of the Town.

There are mountains all around this portal arrival point - another new one. Perhaps I really should get a better engine when I can.

Onwards we drive, and the exhaustion is ever present. The ground is slippery and my mind is dark. Got to focus. Got to focus.

I cast an eye over the castanets which I bought in Valladolid. They’re just sitting on the seat next to me. Perhaps… what if… I put them in my pocket, take them home after we get back to Innsbruck?

If they’re still in my pocket when I wake up, I’ll have definite, tangible, physical proof that it’s not a dream. Right?

Yes, my bank account and my app says that I’ve made the trips and earned the cash. But the fuel…the fuel… I try to remember the last time I had to take fuel. And I can’t. Have I ever taken any? It's all so confusing.

I put it out of my mind. The Town lies ahead.

It’s lights are warm and fuzzy, but my thoughts are hazy and gloomy once more.

But look at those happy skaters!

And those bright colours! How could I even begin to doubt that this place is real? I begin to perk up a little.

The sound system is blaring out Auld Lang Syne.

Local youngsters vibing.

On close inspection, all the Christmas Market stalls are filled with alcohol. No wonder they all look like they're having a great time.

Delivery made. I think I’d like to return to my warm bed in Innsbruck now. I was going to do something before I go… but what was it? Pockets? Something about pockets? What has it got in its pocketses? I can’t recall. To Be Continued. Krigl

krigl

03 Jan 2024 23:02

This set sees us heading to Ventspils and Liepaja in Latvia…

After making my delivery to the Town Square I am not returned to my warm bed. Instead, the locals tell me I look ‘peaky’ and give me some hot nourishing soup and gingerbread biscuits, and then ask me if I can do one more job this evening. It’s very urgent, for Ventspils in Latvia. Well, of course, I guess. What can I do but agree? And so off we go, loaded with 22 tons of Christmas Hampers. Why is it always roughly 22 tons? Specifically, 22, 146 kg?

En route to the portal to the west of the Town, we went a different way and found ourselves face to face with a very cold and rather ominous looking tunnel.

I got out to snap these lovely Christmas trees, and immediately wished I hadn’t, it was so cold there.The soup and gingerbread from the Christmas Market had done wonders for my mental and physical state, but it very soon drained away in the face of that utter chill.

What’s worse, the road out of the tunnel suddenly sloped upwards very steeply, slowing the truck to a crawl. It felt like I was trapped in a Snowrunner mudpit for a moment. I really should have replaced that engine!

Eventually we dragged ourselves free, but it took a good 5-10 minutes. Soon we were almost at the portal.

Arrival in a distant land as if by magic no longer seems as miraculous as it once did, though it is still very cool. I get my bearings, programme the GPS, and off we go.

We arrived not long before sunrise, but it’s still very dark as we pull out of the truckstop.

Making progress towards Ventspils. Not seeing a lot of Latvia, though.

As we arrive in Ventspils, the sky lightens up.

It must be because its much further north than Serbia, but everything here has a decidedly wintry feel. But not the beautiful, sparkling winter of Winterland, but a winter that’s barren and grey.

As we approach the delivery point, the warmth of my Winterland meal is all but gone, and the darkness is returning to my soul once more.

Parking up, I try to focus on happy thoughts, thinking back to the time when I was most contented – at Christmas, when I was young, with my parents, when they were the centre of my world, and I theirs.

They used to take me out to look at the lights in town, to visit the Christmas market, to ring the bell for good luck, to buy chestnuts. I think it was probably a time when they were happiest too, as later I remember mainly arguments. Arguments and work, always busy they were.

Heading over the Venta river to get that engine finally changed, and still thinking about my parents. Strangely, they never seem to be home when I’m awake in Innsbruck. I still live in the same house, yet are they ever there??? Do we ever meet or speak? I can’t remember. So very strange.

Outside the garage. Had a few repairs done, as well as upgrading the engine to 400 hp. That should help in those Winterland mountains, I hope.

I thought that when I’d delivered the goods to Ventspils that things would grow dark once again, and I’d be sent back home to Innsbruck at last. I’m utterly worn out, drained of all spirit. But no, there’s yet another job to do. A cargo of Christmas Fibre Stuffing must be taken to the Arts Workshop in Winterland. And it’s from the next town over, Liepaja, somewhere to the south.

Reluctantly I set off on my way. It begins to rain as we exit Ventspils.

I’m sure Latvia can look lovely when the weather is fine, but right now it seems an empty, ghostly, haunted land.

Eventually we reach Liepaja. The Stuffing is waiting at a Food Union farm on the other side of town.

It truly is a grey and dreary day.

We reach the countryside once more and a thick mist falls over the landscape like a shroud, filling my mind with existential dread. This is beginning to seem less like a dream and more like a nightmare. Am I trapped oscillating between Winterland and cities across Europe in some endless loop? Will I ever make it back to Innsbruck? I'd been planning to take those castanets home to see if they were still with me when I woke up from the dream - I remember that now - could this be a kind of punishment for my decision to try and find out if Winterland is dream or reality?

As we turn onto a narrow lane across the fields to the jobsite, the mist grows ever thicker, and the sense of weakness and dread grows ever stronger…
Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 08 Jan 2024 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Share the love”

• Information