FF2: Filling in the Suburbs

Post your own screenshots & videos of our mods here
krigl

18 Dec 2023 09:35

Today we're off to Colorful Colorado, though it didn't turn out to be quite as colourful as I'd have liked.

Starting off in Albuquerque, loaded up with office supplies. First 2 loads of paper, and now binders, staples and toner? Beginning to see a pattern here.

Today's ride is a VNL 740, white.

Over we go. Can I get a view from this impressive, strangely pastel-coloured structure without crashing?

Managed it.

Out of town and heading north. My first attempt to get up to Colorado and see a bit more of it ended in abject failure.

Hard to imagine how, but I made the mistake of not getting up early for the trip, but instead starting at 1:30 pm after completing the previous haul and grabbing a burger.

Everything was fine, it was nice and sunny.

The scenery was spectacular.

However, IRL it was getting late, so I went to bed about here.

The next day I came back to it, started the game and had my truck sitting on the asphalt ready to go. But then I got called away to do something else for a while, and didn't bother pausing the game. I noticed it was a bit darker when I came back and got to work on finishing the trip. It was kind of cloudy though, so didn't think anything of it.

Using the GPS in the truck, so didn't see what time it was. Long shadows visible here, but I somehow didn't notice.

Stopped for gas and to snap a few shots of the truck, and the sky cleared. Nice and blue and quite bright.

Then we got to this place - Bloomfield, I guess, near Farmington, and I suddenly realised it was getting dark, and fast.

I guess I must have lost several hours with the truck just sitting on the road doing nothing and me in another room. Approaching the state line, the sun was already gone. Rather annoyed... tried loading my earlier save but found that I had cleverly saved the game in the same spot right after returning from discussing stuff with my wife. Why did I do that? What was the point? Idiot. The only alternative was to go back to Albuquerque and start again, and I just didn't feel like it. So, decided to own my mistake and make another trip north another day.

So, yeah, welcome to Colorful Colorado.

It got dark so ridiculously fast I thought the game must be trolling me. The clock was racing forwards faster than I ever remember it. Bizarre. By the time we reached Durango just over the state line, it was more-or-less completely dark. Durango is one of those one-road towns with about a zillion traffic lights on it to make it feel more town-y, so it was pitch black by the time I got out of there.

The code given to me by Imgur for this image contains the word Yee, so I guess it's official, I am being trolled.

The journey north from Durango to Montrose was very long and quite eerie, a serpentine route through the mountain forests of SW Colorado.
Creepy and atmospheric, but not much to look at.

Towards the end we passed through some tunnels...

...and then found ourselves back in civilisation.

A nice-looking little town, even by night. Didn't catch the name.

Then there was a short trip along winding roads where I couldn't see anything at all, and finally we arrived in Montrose, welcomed by a Dunkin Donuts sign.

Next time - a trip to Colorado by daylight.
Krigl

krigl

18 Dec 2023 16:17

This time: Colorado by daylight. Not the mountains though, wanted to try something different.

Kicking off in Albuquerque once more.

We're hauling toys today, to Lamar, an agricultural town in the east of Colorado, not far from the state line with Kansas.

Curious to see what Colorado's 'mid-west bit' looks like.

Leaving the big city behind.

Out into a world of parched soil and blinding sunshine.

Raton, on the border with Colorado. It's quite an unvaried drive up there from Albuquerque. A bit boring.

We could have gone to Raton, but instead we headed north...

... into Colorful Colorado. And what a difference crossing the state line makes!

Time to head eastwards towards Lamar.

Scenery town. Looks like it's probably similar to the one we encountered by night after driving through the spooky mountain forests.

Abandoned gas station and dirt lie beyond.

Dusty fields, cows and wind turbines.

Yep. I guess this must be Colorado's mid-west.
We finish the trip next time. Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 19 Dec 2023 09:29, edited 2 times in total.

krigl

18 Dec 2023 16:42

Travelling through east Colorado to Lamar now.

The terrain's starting to look as arid as New Mexico.

But that doesn't last long.

A dinosaur waiting for her mate to accompany her onto Noah's Ark. Some recent research suggests that a typical saurian existing four thousand years ago needed less less food than an elephant, so she knows they won't be too much of a burden.

Farmtastic.

A place called Las Animas.

Getting closer to Kansas. And Lamar.

Lots of cattle on the right.

Plenty of silos too.

Just before our destination, we have to pull into a weigh station. Perhaps because we're near the state line.

They wanted to see the paperwork, and I had to endure a few comments about being Santa's little helper.

Here's our destination, Lamar.

We've arrived. Soon to be surrounded by a throng of eager bouncing elves driving betinselled forklifts.
Next time we take our leave of New Mexico, heading down to El Paso just inside Texas, and then over the border to Ciudad Juarez. Great scenery down there.
Cheers! Krigl

krigl

19 Dec 2023 08:48

Very pleasant highway drive today - south from Socorro, New Mexico to El Paso in Texas. The second part is more interesting, though, as El Paso was already fantastic, but Project Reforma's additions have lifted it into true greatness.

Today's ride is a very cool International 9900I 72'' sleeper, not that there's going to be much time for sleeping. Well, I drive what I'm given.

We're pulling some kind of double-tanked trailer of milk to Ciudad Juarez in Mexico.

Ah, ''Beef'' Durham. I remember that building.

Seeing a little of Socorro on the way out.

Characteristic New Mexico architecture.

Made an early stop at the Fort Craig rest area.

Glad they put another older truck in the game, love its classic looks.

On the road again.

And I've got such a long way to go
To make it to the border of Mexico
So I ride like the wind, ride like the wind

Listening to Finntroll's Skogsdotter as we barrel ever southwards towards Texas and Mexico.

Nearly there now. A refreshing splash of green and a view of very cool-looking mountains.

El Paso reached. We'll finish the trip next time.
Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 19 Dec 2023 09:33, edited 3 times in total.

krigl

19 Dec 2023 09:19

Driving through part of one of the best cities in ATS today, especially with Project Reforma's added areas. We're just going from El Paso in Texas through Santa Teresa (which is back in New Mexico) to CJ over the border in Mexico. A short section, but a blastbeat of images taken.

El Paso.

I think Project Reforma must have added this area. I looked around in vain for the famous 'Read The Bible' message in the mountainside. Perhaps I missed it, or perhaps PR moved it - maybe it isn't so visible in El Paso normally, and most residents there are actually able to look out of their windows or focus on their morning commute without forceful appeals to their conscience being made from products of tectonic uplift.

Uh-oh... a Tesla. What will it do?

It's behaving itself for now, it seems.

Santa Teresa is on the left, and we're back in New Mexico.

Ah, and here's the border just up ahead.

I took the wrong route, got fined $1800 dollars and had to ctrl-F9 my truck over to this lane. Very professional.

These barriers are for what, exactly? Cops with shotguns?

Entering Mexico.

The delivery point is just beyond the border post.

Just before straightening out and finishing the job. Didn't hit the trailer behind. What? What? No.

See. Undamaged. Next sets - time to put this tour of the American southwest to bed, so we're heading back to Arizona through northern Mexico.
Cheers! Krigl

krigl

20 Dec 2023 10:41

Driving through the mountains of northern Mexico this time.

Starting out at FedEx in Ciudad Juarez.

Our W900 is packing just 370 hp and we have a 120 gal tank only for hauling 41 000 lb of Beverages. How many gas stations are there in the mountains, I wonder? On top of that, the map is predicting that the journey from CJ to Agua Prieta is going to take NINETEEN hours and 14 minutes, even though it's only 286 miles, so I'm a little nervous. Especially as the job has to be completed in around 14 hours, which is more than generous for 280 miles but... hmmm. I just have to assume that the mod has somehow messed with the game's ability to calculate ETA. I mean 286/19.25 = about 15 mph. Come on, really? Hope I'm right. Every job done so far has received an 'Excellent' rating, would hate to spoil it with a nasty red LATE grade. The allotted route was actually all in the US and much quicker, but I want to see a bit more of Mexico, so I changed it. Hope I haven't set myself up for another 'disaster' like the night trip to 'see more' of Colorado.

Talking of that trip, I noticed when about to start up ATS last night that I have a new Steam achievement: Million Dollar Highway. "Drive along this famously scenic and thrilling section of the U.S. 550 in Colorado". Can you believe it? Probably the most epic route in Colorado, one that I've been looking forward to ever since reading the post on it in the SCS blog - and I travelled through it unknowingly in the dark. Bloody hell.

The speed limit around here is 37 mph!! Perhaps that's why the ETA is so drastic. Don't like to admit it, but just for once I'm breaking the speed limit whenever I can, trying to cut off a few hours. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Sadly, I got stuck behind this bus. Grrr.

At the start of the mountains there are two small settlements. The first is Ascencion, which effectively predicts what we're about to do, though perhaps not quite in the same manner as the town's namers had in mind.

Decent little place, definitely feels like we could be in Mexico rather than the US.

The second town. Got past the bus despite the yellow line. Got fined doing it though, some busybody cop or speed camera, didn't see them.

The local mascot.

Directions to the local mascot, no doubt. Or perhaps not? It was extremely well-fed if that's the case.

Janos and its patron thicchuahua are now behind us, and our first dose of north Mexican mountains lie ahead through golden grasses.

I say, this is rather nice, isn't it?

After relentlessly speeding despite the fine. I've mysteriously managed to cut about 5 hours off the journey time.

The route through the mountains is long, just posting the highlights. It took a while to get here even with my reckless driving.

Looks like its time to head downwards. A quick look at my ETA tells me I'm now well within the journey time, and should make it. I can relax a bit.

I even stopped for the mandatory half hour break that regulators feel is all truck drivers need to function effectively throughout a fourteen hour shift.

Went for a little stroll. Oh gosh, I feel, like, totally revitalised now. My senses are honed sharp as a razor, my concentration is ultimate.

Taking it easy as the golden hour rolls in.

Sundappled fields, droning insects.

We're not going to make it to Agua Prieta by sundown, but that's okay. The main thing is we're not going to be late, and I only got one ticket.

Next time we complete our journey and then start on a second leg - from Agua Priete to Nogales in the south of Arizona.
Krigl

krigl

20 Dec 2023 11:16

This time - we reach Agua Prieta in northern Mexico, and then leave it for Nogales.

We've arrived at Agua Prieta - an agricultural inspection, I believe, is what awaits us.

Hopped out while my agriculture was being inspected. Carbonated beverages, guys. This should be quick.

And we're good to go.

Passing through the town.

Had to make a loop in order to get to the right side of the road to reach the jobsite. No gratuitous exploration for the Trucker Profile. All business.

Oh wow, there's an Amazon warehouse!

Now that's where I'm headed as soon as we've ditched the soda. Ohhhhhhhh...... Mexican food.....

Soft and rich like Mum's love. Maybe I'll just get a pack of Jimbo sandwiches from the gas station then, for that happy warm comforting childhood feeling they are sure to bring after a long day driving through breakneck mountain passes.

Or... how about NO?
Right, we've arrived. Backing round the corner, in the dark this time. Brother's doing his thing with the video call on the mobile again, but I can't see sh** so I have to get out.

Who put that there?

Oof, done at last. Off to get some Mexican goodies and a decent night's rest.

We had a day off in Agua Prieta, luckly - I was shattered, and we have an even more arduous mountain traversal ahead of us. Hauling cement to Nogales, and getting an early start.

The ETA is more realistic this time, and it seems we should make Nogales in daylight.

Out of Agua Prieta now, with one more town ahead before things start getting hectic.

Cananea lies at the mountains' feet.

Another nicely realised place.

The pride of Tulsa.

Okay, okay, I give up. What does 'ciudad(o)' actually mean? Okay, 'ciudad' is city, so Rodriguez City, right. And 'ciudado' is 'citizen' according to google translate... and 'ciudado con el train' is 'careful with the train'. Okay... I solemnly do vow (as a citizen) that no harm will come to it.

Alright then, farewell to Cananea, hello mountains.

A roadside shrine bears mute witness as we begin our tortuous journey... which shall be continued next time.
Thanks for looking in! Krigl

krigl

21 Dec 2023 08:17

A very simple set this time - through the mountains of northern Mexico from Agua Prieta to Heroica Nogales on the border with Arizona.

This mountain journey is even longer and more spectacular than the one from Ciudad Juarez (near El Paso, Texas) to Agua Prieta.

Not much to say but ''Enjoy the views!''

A rest stop, I think.

Mountain village. Local street or emergency escape ramp for runaway trucks? You decide.

It's safe to say that if you use ATS and enjoy driving in the southwest, Project Reforma is a must-have.

Looking forward to taking a look at what ProMods have done in Canada in the new year. Planning to do northern Norway and finish Texas first, though.

Not sure what that is. Terraces? Some strangely green vegetation? Graphical glitch? There was a graphics issue for me in Heroica Nogales - big gaps in the mountains above the city.

Occasional manifestations of local religiosity add to the 'Mexican feel' in these parts.

I am trying to diminish my speed, yes. Jake is working overtime.

Ah... we need to slow down because we've got to the end of our long mountain drive.

I think we've reached Heroica Nogales, just over the border from Nogales, Arizona.

Time to go find that border now.

Border reached. In the final two sets we'll wrap up this tour of the American southwest.
Krigl

krigl

21 Dec 2023 08:40

This set sees us completing the trip from Agua Prieta to Nogales with a look at the very detailed border crossing, and taking a quick peek at Nogales, which has evidently been beefed up by Project Reforma.

Let's start the process, then.

We're not particularly fast, so let's take the general lane.

It's quite a way. I can see the wall ahead that marks the state line.

Looks like this could be quite a dangerous area in real life. As it was, we were the only truck traversing this open ground, but I still kept glancing from mirror to mirror just in case something came zooming up behind me. The job is only paying around $3400 (though that's still a lot compared to what the 'real economy (hard mode)' mod would have offered), so I'd like to avoid any unfortunate incidents.

Most of these guys had tricky paperwork issues or were just chilling. Nice line-up though.

Back in the USA.

And we're through. Let's get that cement delivered at last.

Glimpse of the wall.

Nogales.

Made it.

Tomorrow hopefully - we head back to Phoenix and complete the tour, and then move back to Europe... and possibly somewhere else entirely...
Krigl

krigl

24 Dec 2023 00:19

I've been busier than expected preparing for Christmas, and I haven't managed to get in and post what I wanted to. Well, never mind. I wish everyone a very Happy Christmas!!!

Return to “Share the love”

• Information